UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New York Comic Con 2012

UK Collector

Hey everyone

I realise we have a thread to discuss exclusives for NYCC, but thought we could use this as a general discussion thread.

Me and my girlfriend will be staying with a friend for the week proceeding it and fly home on the Saturday night of the Con. Debating what sort of ticket to get. Will definitely be going on the Friday, but looking at getting a 4-day ticket, so I will have the option of going on Thursday and Saturday too.

The weigh up in my mind is, do I spend $85 on a 4 day ticket to possibly only attend on the Thurs and Friday (seeing as I fly home on the Saturday)? Or should I just get a Friday ticket, and have the extra $50 in my pocket to spend frivolously?

Has anyone been on the Thursday night before? Is it the same as every other day, e.g. all stores open for business, just quieter and without the 'featured guests'?

Would be great to get a meet up sorted to go for a few beers at some point.....or Appletinis if you prefer. Maybe we could kidnap Zach for a few hours if he isn't too busy.

Also looking for advice on great eats, drinks and fun spots in the city.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've been on Thursday before. It's nice and intimate, and makes the atmosphere much more comfortable. The issue is that sellers may not have all of their stock out yet or aren't desperate to lower prices and unload items, but you do get first pick. The lack of guests isn't all that noticeable.

Of course, $50 is nice too.

Last year on the Thursday was the smoothest day for walking around AND there was a booth giving away booze.

As for somewhere fun to go afterwards, there is almost nothing near Javits. If you are going to walk to a bar just because it is close you might as well walk to the subway and go somewhere else. I'll be getting blitzed in the village & LES at nights after the con. NYU will be back in session and I might have a few comedy gigs booked.

Edited by mrjasontodd

I remember from last year that there was absolutely nothing around the centre for food and drink. Figured the village would be the best place for booze.

I'm curious about the guest signings. Looking to meet Adam West and Burt Ward, but will I spend all Friday morning queuing up to get a signature? I went last year, but didn't bother with the signatures of anyone so not sure what to expect. Especially considering theyre nothing like our Cons.

Edited by UK Collector

• 4 weeks later...

Uh. Zach was the only one who showed up for us. Why do New Yorkers have all the fun? :(

Also, great blank! I'm gona have to track it down.

Sorry I couldn't bring a bigger show to C2E2, Sam. Robert and Uriel live in NYC, and the exhibit idea has been a work in progress for a while. If it makes you feel better, C2E2 2012 was my most fun show yet!

Guess who's got thumbs and going to NYCC? This guy! (The joke works better if you can see me pointing to myself... but you get the idea). Whooooooooo! :banana:

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add....

@UK Collector: Remember that Thursday starts later in the day, from 3-9. So you also have to decide if only having 6 hours at the con is worth $50. It definitely is nice to have the floor to yourself, relatively speaking. But personally, I'd just go Friday and save (or, more likely, spend) the $50. Friday's not all that different from Thursday; it's Saturday that you really want to avoid.

Edited by hellpop

If anyone is attending NYCC & can get their hands on the giveaways, i'd be keen to do a trade!

WANT

NYCC 10th Anniversary Promo Minimate

NYCC Battle Beast Exclusive

HAVE

Ca$h

Riot Attack Spidey

Soul

That is all.

EDIT: I am now prioritising the 10th Anniversary mate & offering to through in a gold sharpie with riot spidey!

Edited by Nessex

What's that rhyme you tell kids? "You get what you get and you don't get upset."

I mean, all of the Vorin promos are cool, but we had enough left over between all four colors that when we found out we got a Sunday panel time, we decided to give them to the kiddies.

If you know someone going with kids, and you need a promo Vorin, tell them to go to the panel!

"Take what you get and you don't throw a fit" (not that I've ever said that in my life).

And if anyone is at NYCC and can pick up the DC Collectibles Green Lantern 3 3/4" 2 pack with John Stewart for me I'd be eternally grateful (or at least a good 6 or 7 months grateful). The fact they have a line of figures only available one at a time at cons is annoying.

@UK Collector: Remember that Thursday starts later in the day, from 3-9. So you also have to decide if only having 6 hours at the con is worth $50. It definitely is nice to have the floor to yourself, relatively speaking. But personally, I'd just go Friday and save (or, more likely, spend) the $50. Friday's not all that different from Thursday; it's Saturday that you really want to avoid.

Yeah I went for the Friday option. Figure I'll find something to spend the $50 on!

I'm effectively being kicked out for the night on the Thursday so my girlfriend can hang out with her mates, so if anyone is in town and fancies a beer or something then let me know!

Holy guacamole do I wish I was going there! Have a freakin' AWESOME time there, guys, drink some beers for me!

I will also offer money or human souls for Thundercats minimates sets 2 and 3!