UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles LEGO sets coming 2013

MST3KFan

Just saw this news on Toyark and felt like posting it here.

It'll mark the second time Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be in a building block form with the first being Mega Blok back around 2003 or so...

http://www.toyark.com/news/lego-toy-news-12/lego-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-6400/

I've read this may be based off the 2012 CGI series, which may anger some fans. However from what I have read in the new series, Don and Mikey get some weapon upgrades (Don gets a Yamato style spear and Mikey a karma style blade) so I'm keen to see those in Lego form. Plus it means I don't have to bother with the new figures when they're available at a better price :P

Granted I would prefer either original Mirage comics, IDW's series or 2003 over a 1989 based line (sorry but I just prefer the maturity and storytelling 2003 had over 1989) but I am keen to see what 2012 does.

Considering they're LEGOs though, how many distinctions would really be made between current or classic Turtles? At least from the character design POV. Maybe they would be slightly different shades of green or something?

Considering they're LEGOs though, how many distinctions would really be made between current or classic Turtles? At least from the character design POV. Maybe they would be slightly different shades of green or something?

I guess they would have white hands to represent the bandages and also new weapons.

They don't use katanas, bo, sais, and nunchuks anymore? Keep in mind that these are LEGOs--intentionally simplified and standardized to be similar to existing LEGO stuff. I wouldn't expect much of a nuanced distinction between the weapons made for 1990 Turtles vs. 2012 Turtles, unless they were completely different weapons.

Basically Donatello's bo staff has a pop out blade and Michelangelo's nunchuks have hidden blades that pop out and allow him to covert the weapon into the chain...sickle thing. (Forgot what it's called)

Honestly, I've seen custom LEGO TMNT figures on ebay, so I don't expect too much detail on the mini-figures. The Mega Blok ones had sculpted heads and torsos. Kind of like how they do the HALO stuff nowadays.

• 5 months later...

I got the Turtles' Lair, Shredder's Bike & Kraang's Lab sets.

So now I've got all 4 Turtles, Splinter, Shredder, 3 Foot & 1 brain (which, since I grew up with the '80s cartoon, I'm used to there being one).

I may get the rest of the sets, I'm not sure yet.

I'm a little baffled how the van is more expensive than the lair, though, lol...

I wasn't going to do it.

The last Star Wars Lego set I got was the Attack of the Clones Republic Gunship when it first came out (if that tells you anything time-wise - it came out around the time of the movie), and unless I win the lottery, catching up is going to be unrealistically expensive.

The Marvel/DC/Pirates of the Caribbean/Indiana Jones/Prince of Persia/Harry Potter ones tempted me plenty.

But being incomplete with Star Wars bugged the crap out of me (still does), Minimates ruined me on Lego figures, and Lego has gotten really pricey.

I told myself I am going to be a completist with all the Tolkien sets (so far, so good).

Turtles, I was all jazzed for (it is definitely the thing I remember being the most into as a child - honestly, more than ANYthing else), but right before they came out, I looked at how expensive Lego sets are, and the few LotR sets I was missing at the time (I have them all now, Hobbit, too), and just decided to pass like the other licenses.

Then I saw the Lair in stores, and was like, "Okay, I'll get THIS, and the other two Turtles and Shredder off eBay. Then I'm done."

Then I got my tax refund, and set about getting it. The only other sets Target had were Shredder's Bike & Kraang's Lab, and that would've finished my desired figures, so I bit. The bike is okay. I put it away in storage. The Lab is small, but I set the pieces next to the Lair, as if it belonged to Donny, not the Kraangs. I set the skateboard/go-cart thing next to Mikey in the Lair.

The Lair is amazing. I love it. I'll take a picture when I get some free time. Mikey's watching TV with pizza. Splinter's up in the trees, meditating. Leo is practicing with the Shredder dummy. Donny's "doing science". And Raph is streetside fighting Shredder, the 3 Foot Soldiers, and the other Ninja that came with one of the sets (the Lair, I think). I gave Splinter one of the "slime drips" (the small, rod ones) as his staff, since the 5" figure comes with a translucent bluish-green one (I've only seen the first few episodes, I have the rest on my DVR, and it's been awhile since the last one I watched, so I don't really remember what his staff was like in the show).

But, yeah, I dig them quite a bit. I'll probably get the rest, lol. Stupid childhood memories. laugh.png

Even though, yes, these are all from the new cartoon, not the 80s one I grew up with.

I wasn't going to do it.

The last Star Wars Lego set I got was the Attack of the Clones Republic Gunship when it first came out (if that tells you anything time-wise - it came out around the time of the movie), and unless I win the lottery, catching up is going to be unrealistically expensive.

The Marvel/DC/Pirates of the Caribbean/Indiana Jones/Prince of Persia/Harry Potter ones tempted me plenty.

But being incomplete with Star Wars bugged the crap out of me (still does), Minimates ruined me on Lego figures, and Lego has gotten really pricey.

I told myself I am going to be a completist with all the Tolkien sets (so far, so good).

Turtles, I was all jazzed for (it is definitely the thing I remember being the most into as a child - honestly, more than ANYthing else), but right before they came out, I looked at how expensive Lego sets are, and the few LotR sets I was missing at the time (I have them all now, Hobbit, too), and just decided to pass like the other licenses.

Then I saw the Lair in stores, and was like, "Okay, I'll get THIS, and the other two Turtles and Shredder off eBay. Then I'm done."

Then I got my tax refund, and set about getting it. The only other sets Target had were Shredder's Bike & Kraang's Lab, and that would've finished my desired figures, so I bit. The bike is okay. I put it away in storage. The Lab is small, but I set the pieces next to the Lair, as if it belonged to Donny, not the Kraangs. I set the skateboard/go-cart thing next to Mikey in the Lair.

The Lair is amazing. I love it. I'll take a picture when I get some free time. Mikey's watching TV with pizza. Splinter's up in the trees, meditating. Leo is practicing with the Shredder dummy. Donny's "doing science". And Raph is streetside fighting Shredder, the 3 Foot Soldiers, and the other Ninja that came with one of the sets (the Lair, I think). I gave Splinter one of the "slime drips" (the small, rod ones) as his staff, since the 5" figure comes with a translucent bluish-green one (I've only seen the first few episodes, I have the rest on my DVR, and it's been awhile since the last one I watched, so I don't really remember what his staff was like in the show).

But, yeah, I dig them quite a bit. I'll probably get the rest, lol. Stupid childhood memories. laugh.png

Even though, yes, these are all from the new cartoon, not the 80s one I grew up with.

Haha, awesome! I did the EXACT same thing with Splinter. Was actually bummed when it wasn't setup that way. I have mine all boxed up atm though getting ready to move into a new MUCH larger house (complete with my own private nerdatorium mwahahahaha). Also, that extra ninja is Dogpound pre-ooze. Too bad he didn't come with his Chuck Norris hair cut.

(With mask)

TMNT12_Chris_Bradford_Xever.jpg

(Without)

2wWps.png

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have the Lego dogpound, fish face, leatherhead or spider byte that they can post a pic next to the title mates for scale? Trying to figure out if any are close enough to be worth the eBay prices to fill out my display. If I could attach minimate legs to leatherhead that could be cool.