UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Scale of Minimate Vehicles

Bag o' worms question & very difficult to answer precisely . Minimate vehicles are obviously specifically designed for minimates which are generally described as 2" ,most adults would be about 5'10" feet tall (70 inches) so within reason the scale of a Minimate would be 1:35 . That said many other 1:35 figures & vehicles look hideously out of scale with Minimates whilst some 1:24 vehicles (particularly) look perfectly scaled ......crazy . Minimate vehicles are often described as 'deformed' for a darned good reason....they fit Minimates yet are totally out of proportion for most other apps.

My 6 eggs.

I figured the closest thing in scale would be 1:32. Bought a tank to go with the upcoming Walking Dead figures (pics in the thread), and I think it looks damn near perfect.

Toys R us minimate vihecles? Like the halo,MAX jets,Pirate ships ,etc. But other then that...I think some transformers are good for Minimates.

If 4" figures = 1/18 scale then 2" figures = 1/32 scale.

3 3/4" is technically 1:18, while 2 1/4" is 1:32. Given that the usual scale for 12" dolls/figures is 1:6, and 6" figures are 1:12, I think it's fair to assume the "average" height determined for a human is 6 foot tall. Being that Minimates are right at 2" tall, I think the 1:32 is as close as you can get.

Sure, the blocky look of Minimates can throw things off a bit, but I personally feel like 1:24 is too big, and 1:35 is just a bit too small.

Here's Rick/Vacation Zombie with a 1:32 tank:

ayr76g.png

Every figure scale I've seen is based on a 6 foot tall human. Star Wars figures are referred to as 3 3/4" scale but they're actually 4" scale. The figure Kenner originally measured (back in the 20th century) was Luke Skywalker, a character who's 5' 8" tall. That would make a 1/18 scale figure of Luke exactly 3 3/4" in height. Han Solo is supposed to be exactly 6 feet tall and his figures tend to be a little taller at around 4".

With Minimates, the bulk of the figure can throw off the scale visually. Mathematically 1/32 scale may be correct but some may prefer going a little larger to compensate for the figure's mass.

This is why I want DST to offer a Winnebago especially for my Walking Dead Minimates. That could make a pretty cool playset/vehicle. And I'm pretty sure it would be inexpensive to license.

I totally love the picture of the Abrams tank & the Minimates...no question about that .

Will the Minimates fit into the tank ?

Without the feet, yes. Both hatches do open on the top, and they'll fit, but the feet are just too big.

Every figure scale I've seen is based on a 6 foot tall human. Star Wars figures are referred to as 3 3/4" scale but they're actually 4" scale. The figure Kenner originally measured (back in the 20th century) was Luke Skywalker, a character who's 5' 8" tall. That would make a 1/18 scale figure of Luke exactly 3 3/4" in height. Han Solo is supposed to be exactly 6 feet tall and his figures tend to be a little taller at around 4".

With Minimates, the bulk of the figure can throw off the scale visually. Mathematically 1/32 scale may be correct but some may prefer going a little larger to compensate for the figure's mass.

This is why I want DST to offer a Winnebago especially for my Walking Dead Minimates. That could make a pretty cool playset/vehicle. And I'm pretty sure it would be inexpensive to license.

I am TOTALLY with you on the Winnebago. It's my most wanted thing from the license.

I totally love the picture of the Abrams tank & the Minimates...no question about that .

Will the Minimates fit into the tank ?

Without the feet, yes. Both hatches do open on the top, and they'll fit, but the feet are just too big.

I kinda guessed that & it doesn't detract from the fact that the tank looks great butI believe my humble & original opinion is enforced that what often looks 'in scale' is invariably impractical for actually carrying a Minimate. Conversely a vehicle that is capable of carrying a Minimate comfortably invariably is way out of scale with whatever you might consider is the appropriate scale ........deformed.

I'll take the opportunity to say that some of the MAX vehicles .....which I originally detested with a vengeance....have grown on me to such a degree that I now rate them as being amongst my favourites in my collection.

I'd love a scale Winnebago Chieftain & I've scoured the internet looking for one & it appears that there was once a 1:32 scale kit model produced years ago which I'm now hunting......I could tell you more but I don't want too much competition chasing this :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I think the previous posts sum this up well, but the scale discussion mainly depends on how you plan to display the vehicle with the mate.

DeLoreans are the perfect example of this. The Welly 1:24 scale DeLorean looks awesome for shots of minimates standing next to the car or to recreate the movie posters. Marty, however, will not fit inside properly to drive it.

The Sunstar 1:18 scale is way too big to have with minimates, other than Marty actually looks good driving it. He looks a little small, but it works okay.

As far as the Winnebago, I am contemplating a size to build it out of Lego bricks. Legos are often what I use to display with my minimates. The Lego Batman Tumbler from the first run of Lego Batman sets, with minimal modification, fits a cape less minimate Batman.

Anyway, it really depends on what you think looks good in your display.

O6