UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Did the Santa Pirate Minimate get cancelled?

Just got this horrible message from BBTS:

Hi - Diamond has just informed us that this item has been cancelled by the supplier, and as a result they will not be able to fill our orders. We apologize for the inconvenience. We have cancelled all preorders and removed the item from our site.

Please Zach say it ain't so! I was soooooo looking forward to this. I need me a Santa mate!

Crap. I really really wanted that one for Christmas.It would have made a awsome christmas ornament.Right by my ginger bread customs, I'll be making....DANG ! :verymad:

Crap. I really really wanted that one for Christmas.It would have made a awsome christmas ornament.Right by my ginger bread customs, I'll be buying....DANG ! :verymad:

I know, I wanted 1 and now I'll have to wait because DST (no disrespect) can't put out these so they can focus on BB and Marvel. Oh also, fixed it.

@Sky_Dive: I would have bought ,probably 3 of them( I like buying 3 or more of the same product...) It looked really nice.

Crap. I really really wanted that one for Christmas.It would have made a awsome christmas ornament.Right by my ginger bread customs, I'll be buying....DANG ! :verymad:

I know, I wanted 1 and now I'll have to wait because DST (no disrespect) can't put out these so they can focus on BB and Marvel. Oh also, fixed it.

Sorry, Sky Dive -- we solicit items to retailers (that means list them in catalogs, show them to buyers at shows, etc.) to gauge interest and to collect the majority of our orders for an item. We always hope that the number that are ordered is large enough to at least pay for the production run, with the added hopes that we'll sell more and it will be a profitable item for us. When the minimum order quantity for an item -- the smallest number we can order -- is (for example) 3,000, and the number of actual pre-orders is (for example) 100, we really can't justify the expense. The likelihood we'll sell enough to cover costs is low, and we'll lose money on the manufacturing. Sitting on a ton of Santa ships until enough Xmases pass to sell them all (30?) was not an attractive proposition to us.

We didn't cancel it so we could give more time to Marvel and Battle Beasts -- the time was already invested. We developed it as a holiday item for buyers, and we cancelled it because there was simply not enough interest outside of this message board. Marvel and Battle Beasts are unconnected, and if this had happened to either one of them, we would have done the same thing. (Although, since both lines have already been bought by Toys R Us, this sort of thing is less likely.)

Hope that clears things up. I'm sad we're not making it, and regret not doing more to promote it when it was up for order. It was pretty cool.

Sorry, Sky Dive -- we solicit items to retailers (that means list them in catalogs, show them to buyers at shows, etc.) to gauge interest and to collect the majority of our orders for an item. We always hope that the number that are ordered is large enough to at least pay for the production run, with the added hopes that we'll sell more and it will be a profitable item for us. When the minimum order quantity for an item -- the smallest number we can order -- is (for example) 3,000, and the number of actual pre-orders is (for example) 100, we really can't justify the expense. The likelihood we'll sell enough to cover costs is low, and we'll lose money on the manufacturing. Sitting on a ton of Santa ships until enough Xmases pass to sell them all (30?) was not an attractive proposition to us.

We didn't cancel it so we could give more time to Marvel and Battle Beasts -- the time was already invested. We developed it as a holiday item for buyers, and we cancelled it because there was simply not enough interest outside of this message board. Marvel and Battle Beasts are unconnected, and if this had happened to either one of them, we would have done the same thing. (Although, since both lines have already been bought by Toys R Us, this sort of thing is less likely.)

Hope that clears things up. I'm sad we're not making it, and regret not doing more to promote it when it was up for order. It was pretty cool.

About canceled toys. Is ther a slight chance we get the lab play set (The one that wuld have come with a MAX and a Gator BB mate)? I really really wanted that playset. And why did it get cancled? I would so buy it.

About canceled toys. Is ther a slight chance we get the lab play set (The one that wuld have come with a MAX and a Gator BB mate)? I really really wanted that playset. And why did it get cancled? I would so buy it.

That playset is not under discussion in any form, and I do not think Santa is a "wait and see" situation, either. Similarly, the Pirate Minimate box set is also cancelled, and the British Navy ship will likely never get to Toys "R" Us. But we're always looking at new ways to make the things we want to make, so we'll see. Star Trek Minimates were gone for a while, and now we're making the Enterprise. ...I hope. Need to see how that sold.

That playset is not under discussion in any form, and I do not think Santa is a "wait and see" situation, either. Similarly, the Pirate Minimate box set is also cancelled, and the British Navy ship will likely never get to Toys "R" Us. But we're always looking at new ways to make the things we want to make, so we'll see. Star Trek Minimates were gone for a while, and now we're making the Enterprise. ...I hope. Need to see how that sold.

Sorry to ask all these questions. But I really want to get even more pumped up for minimates...Last question...Are ther going to be any medieval minimates? LIke: Knights ,kings,pesants,forest men (Like Robbin hood), etc?I would so so love a medieval series. Thanks for answering my questions. Again ,Thanks.

Sorry to ask all these questions. But I really want to get even more pumped up for minimates...Last question...Are ther going to be any medieval minimates? LIke: Knights ,kings,pesants,forest men (Like Robbin hood), etc?I would so so love a medieval series. Thanks for answering my questions. Again ,Thanks.

Check out the Universal Monsters line. Series 2 had an angry villager that's probably still in Toys R Us stores, and Series 3 now has Quasimodo and Phoebus, captain of the guard, both of whom are very medieval, although Hunchback of Notre Dame actually took place much later. The Hunchback box set won't be out until Halloween, but that one will have Quasi, Phoebus, Quasi wearing a crown and Esmeralda, a dancing girl who would not look out of place at a Renaissance Faire.

I assume you have Arthur, the knight from Marvel vs. Capcom Series 1? And they made a Green Arrow DC Minimate, right? There's your Robin Hood. Sorry, but Minimates aren't big on history. I hope we get to make the Black Knight some day.

again, no disrespect, I just... had to vent. with all the things that are starting to change, I just had to say something

Ugh! Chest Pains! So sad to see the really awesome stuff get cancelled! That second wave of Calico Jack was incredible, and the accessories were even better! Really mystified how that got passed by since I never see the 2-packs at TRU any more. Maybe with the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie we'll see retailers willing to take this on! Zach, I hope DST attempts to solicit more Calico Jack when that happens!

But hearing that the Enterprise isn't a firm lock-in yet....man! That kills me! I've already preordered 2 just to show support!

As for Santa Claus - he needs to be single-packed and sold in the stocking-stuffer impulse buy aisles at Target & Wal Mart!

@Sky_Dive: I would have bought ,probably 3 of them( I like buying 3 or more of the same product...) It looked really nice.

let me guess 1 loose, 1 mint on card/in bag, and 1 for trade/sell/customs

Yep ! :biggrin: . I try to do that with my favorites (Like zero from MvsC3,Most LOTR mates ,etc)Thats why I take longer to collect....Plus I have to ship to SA from the US.