UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Of Blind Bags, Blanks, and Accessory Packs

I know the topics have been discussed before but not as a single unified idea. Ordinarily I'm against the whole blind bag debate since I don't like having to pay large amounts of money and still not get a complete set of figures. So I came up with a way that I could enjoy collecting and still not be overly upset about getting multiple duplicates or missing out on something. To this end I combined most of the seperate ideas into a singe release. Here is an example Fall/Halloween wave:

Pack 1 Rare contains

1 Complete Transparent Orange Blank

1 Stand

2 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton feet (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

1 Transparent Orange Flame Hair

1 Transparent Orange Battle Beasts Snake "legs"

2 New chain Anklets (Similar to Femme Fatale Dawn's Chain Bracelette)

Pack 2 Rare contains

1 Complete Transparent Green Blank

1 Stand

2 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton Hands (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

1 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton Sword (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

2 Transparent Green Fire Balls

1 Transparent Green Femme Fatale Medusa Hair

Pack 3 Uncommon contains

1 Complete Metallic Gold Blank

1 Stand

2 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton Arms (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

2 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton Wrist Cuffs (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

2 Metallic Gold Boom Boom Ankle Cuffs

1 Metallic Gold Moon Knight Cape

Pack 4 Uncommon contains

1 Complete Metallic Blue Blank

1 Stand

2 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton Legs (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

2 Metallic Blue Black Bolt Arm Wings

2 Metallic Blue Battle Beast Croc Armor

1 Metallic Blue Daredevil Hairpiece

Pack 5 Common contains

1 Yellow Blank

1 Stand

1 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton Hips (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

1 Silver Power Man Chain Belt

1 Yellow AOA Morph Cape

1 Yellow Akuma Hairpiece

1 Yellow Ryu Gi

1 Yellow Old Man Logan Duster

Pack 6 Common contains

1 Complete Brown Blank

1 Stand

1 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton Body (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

1 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton Jacket (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

2 Brown Captain America Buccaneer Boots

1 Jack-O-Lantern (Real Ghostbusters)with traditional face

1 New Grim Reaper/Death Scythe

Pack 7 Common contains

1 Complete Black Blank

1 Stand

1 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton Head (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

1 Black Angel Wing Left

1 Black Angel Wing Right

1 Angel Wing Connector

1 Black Mumm-Ra Cape

1 Black Cloak Hood

Pack 8 Common contains

1 Complete Red Blank

1 Stand

1 Exclusive Build-a-Figure Skeleton Hat (Canceled Calico Jack Box Pirate)

2 Red Mighty Spider-Man Gauntlets

1 Battle Beast Moose Machete

1 AOX Rogue Hood (Black Hair)

1 Red Hobgoblin Cape

1 New Hockey Mask

Other Exclusive BAF could include such characters as DST Chuck and Zach, canceled MAX figures, and DST staff frankenmates. Rares would always be Transparent, Uncommons would be Metallic, and Commons would be flat colors.

Yes, I'm probably crazy but I've had too much time on my hands lately and a lot of WIPs that could use one more part that is either hard to get or in the wrong color. So rather than take my frustration out on my mates I grabbed a note pad and came up with this idea.

I like this idea. I might quibble with some of your parts choices (I'd rather have a basic cape then a Morph-style cape, and I think we would definitely need a basic mask, such as those that came with the SA X-men Beast and Angel), but that's different strokes for different folks. I really would like to see DST figure out more ways to exploit what is, without question, the best minifig body on the market.

I like this idea. I might quibble with some of your parts choices (I'd rather have a basic cape then a Morph-style cape, and I think we would definitely need a basic mask, such as those that came with the SA X-men Beast and Angel), but that's different strokes for different folks. I really would like to see DST figure out more ways to exploit what is, without question, the best minifig body on the market.

After looking back I agree with you about the cape change. For some reason I was thinking that AOA Rogue's Cape was green instead of yellow so instead I'd go with Femme Fatale Lady Death's cape in yellow. As for the basic mask I had considered it but just couldn't find a place for it in the black blank with the wings and cloak. After all my secondary goal was to create as many customizing possibilities as possible for the BAF Skeleton and both parts for a Grim Reaper and a winged skeleton just jumped to the top of the list.

I would indeed support something like this!

Although, I'd much rather see Chrome instead of metallic.

Could you give some examples? I may be lumping the two types together, but isn't the difference that chrome is painted on while metallic is the color of the plastic that the mate is formed from. The reason I ask is because my reasoning for metallic was that all the blanks would have no paint on them to keep the cost down. Only the BAF and accessories would have any paint and even then the accessories wouldn't have more than a single color added where appropriate. As a couple of examples the Akuma hair would have the string painted, the machete would have the blade painted silver and the AOX Rogue hood would have the hair detail painted black (just to give Femme Fatale Lil' Red an actual hood and cloak).

So this would be a series of blind bags, each bag featuring a blank and bunch of assorted parts? I like the idea of blanks and spare parts, but I'm staunchly opposed to blind packaging anything. It's not something DST has done with Minimates, and I don't really see why they would start doing it. I remain opposed to the blind packaging.

So this would be a series of blind bags, each bag featuring a blank and bunch of assorted parts? I like the idea of blanks and spare parts, but I'm staunchly opposed to blind packaging anything. It's not something DST has done with Minimates, and I don't really see why they would start doing it. I remain opposed to the blind packaging.

DST sold blind-packed ,dump-type , StreetFighter packs in Japan many moons ago -cleverassesmate :confused:

I detest blind packs for the reasons I've put forward many times before .

Medicom sold this type of non-blind set..... post-638-0-40272300-1346365523_thumb.jpg

...... years ago although I'm not sure how popular kubrick customising is or was :no:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you; as I also hate blind bags, but it's hard to ignore the success and proliferation of the infernal things (MLP, Lego, Mega Bloks, etc). I just thought it was a better idea for blind bagged blanks and a few parts would be better than a blind bagged army dump. Even the BAF parts in the rare packs are hands and feet which can easily be substituted out for hands and feet or boots from the commons. I also envisioned it as a way to get Minimates more exposure and into more retailers especially if there was a box display showing the customizing options available by combining a couple of packs.

However if DST ever releases blind bagged mates where each pack has a unique figure I'll be right there with you going all Universal Monsters Angry Villager (rusty pitchfork included).

Hey, it's not often one gets to use the internet version of the pie in the face. :P

Anyways, I'll behave myself now.

MMRoy, we're just discussing 'what ifs' right now. So no, unfortunately nothing is available to buy. It'd be cool if they were though.

LOL. You ricked roll me.....and...Oh... I thought ther was going to be something like that...Oh well. I guess ebay is wher I'll buy my mates like always.

I would indeed support something like this!

Although, I'd much rather see Chrome instead of metallic.

Could you give some examples? I may be lumping the two types together, but isn't the difference that chrome is painted on while metallic is the color of the plastic that the mate is formed from. The reason I ask is because my reasoning for metallic was that all the blanks would have no paint on them to keep the cost down. Only the BAF and accessories would have any paint and even then the accessories wouldn't have more than a single color added where appropriate. As a couple of examples the Akuma hair would have the string painted, the machete would have the blade painted silver and the AOX Rogue hood would have the hair detail painted black (just to give Femme Fatale Lil' Red an actual hood and cloak).

Wasn't entirely sure what you meant by Metallic.

To me, there is Metallic - fig1185flg.jpg

And this is Chrome - lego-starwars-c3po-minifig-700x740.jpg

And I'd still want them to be blanks, but I like the idea of a chrome painted blank.

@jcastick, Metalic vs. Chrome.

Well, we're on the same page as to what they are and I agree that chrome is nice but it's been my experience that chrome only works if all you want to do is display the toy. When played with or worked with for customs it just doesn't weather very well. The only thing worse, that I've found, is Vac-Metalizing which has a really bad habit of flaking off.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...