UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Kickstarter Thread

Fujis

The thing that is interesting is that if you read the 'complaints' first cause of action is that it's actually worded as

"Misrepresentations and the failure to deliver rewards" While the second is "Failure to Refund".

I think the biggest thing here is the use of the word 'rewards' as the point of contention in a legal document.
(5.2 a & b. ) specifically.

I'm no legal eagle but have read enough of this type of document to know that that wording could make a huge impact in how people see rewards for group funding going forward.

T.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, because of Star Trek: TNG, I spent way more time as a youth being a sci-fi nerd than a social human being, and that has had incalculable negative repercussions. Yeah, thanks a lot Geordi.

Seriously though, it looks like a positive project, but in my work I encounter at-risk schools a lot. Providing a pro-literacy computer program to those schools may help in some small way, but it's a pretty small band-aid to deal with the equivalent of a gunshot wound.

Here's an interesting article about the Reading Rainbow kickstarter. The big points: The new Reading Rainbow is operated as a for-profit business and will be a paid subscription service for many.

Edited by Turtle

Impression I got was that it would only be free to at-risk schools, but I didn't read the fine print. The article brings up a good point, though--a love of books is great, but a much bigger problem is the lack of basic education for poor, at-risk kids to even know how to read well. And that's a tough nut to crack. Often, those kids don't have support at home or in the community, they have crappy schools with sub-par teachers because good teachers don't want to be there, peers in school don't value education, local governmental entities write these schools off completely, and won't fund school improvement efforts, etc. So, big problems, with bigger needs than Geordi LaForge.

The problem are our schools in general. No Child Left Behind doesn't work, and never has. It's not just America either. Canada and Mexico have similar issues, MiniJeff will back me up on this. We need a major, ground up overhaul on our educational systems. Ever seen Waiting on Superman? It it an amazingly well done documentary, and has one of the saddest endings I've ever seen.

I honestly don’t care if this fixes education or not... honestly the original Reading Rainbow didn’t do sh*t either, I f**king hate reading (books... bah, books are just comics made by someone who can’t draw so they need to spend 3 paragraphs telling you what could be shown in one panel, they say comics aren’t really books, I say comics are book for people who’s time maters. Web-sites?! Your information better be in handy listicle format or F**K THAT SH*T there’s naked ladies on the internet, you think I gots time to read 50 paragraphs and GUESS where the vital information is?! and subtitles?! F**king dub that sh*t man! If I want a chore while I’m watching a movie I’ll to do the dishes don’t make the movie my f**king chore!)and I watched that show every morning before school.

Nope, I gave my $10 (at a $5 level since I don’t want any of the prizes... although I considered the picnic because that sounds like it’ll be fun, it wouldn’t be since no one ever wants to sit outside and eat mediocre food with 50+ random strangers but ‘picnic lunch’ sounds fun on paper, but decided I’d rather eat $1,500 in a bowl with ranch dressing while watching TNG on Netflix to simulate the experience) because like I said...

WE ALL *OWE* LEVAR BURTON

you can not give if you don’t want to give, but when it’s all said and done it’s you who has to look in the mirror and know you let America’s LeVar Burton population down.

Edited by dr baghead

karamazov80, on 30 May 2014 - 07:18, said:

baghead.

I like my name triggers an eBay link to the Spider-man variant figure. That’s fun.

Also stretch goals announced for Reading Rainbow! if it gets to $5 million more 7,500 schools will get it for free and the app will be put on the XBox Marketplace and Playstation Store.... this is amazing because if they can get the app onto game consoles it will create an entire generation of Hannibal Lectors who’s Xbox’s made them super smart from all the easy access to all the books and super murderous from all the easier access to all the first person shooters!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was e-mailing sculptor Rocco Tartamella about something today, and he directed me to this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1486458683/the-archangel-michael-project-7-inch-action-figure

Seems like a pretty high goal for someone not named the Four Horsemen, but still a very cool looking figure.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Over the years I have produced several minimates movies with my staff and students at The DAVE School.

Including:

Batman: New Times

Minimate Galactica
X-Men Dark Tide

And one you may have not seen called Minimate Star Trek:

This is the first minimate clip we ever made. It's tagged with a video about our Kickstarter Campaign for new film called NASA SEALS. We are really excited about it and (with the support of DST) you can recieve a custom NASA SEALS KICKSTARTER MINIMATE! You can see that here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jscheetz/nasa-seals

Your support would mean a lot to us!

Jeff