UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU wave 14

Lobsterman

Found the entire wave here at TRU in Minnesota this morning. Even though I got all of them except the Spidey/Cap set coming in the mail, I bought extras for maybe others in need and stuff...

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like i-parcel actually works. I decided to give it a test run and surprisingly, it worked. My parcel shipped Monday and it arrived here in Ottawa, Canada in 4 days. Who'd of thunk it. Minimates arrived in a bubble enveloppe and both packs were intact. No smushing.

Looks like your your muling days might be over Lobsterman. ;)

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Yeee Hawww, got mine yesterday and finished off the set with the Spidey Cap set today. I got just one question, which Iron Man is this version supposed to be? If it has already been answered earlier, I apologize. :-)Awesome set, by the way!

Yeee Hawww, got mine yesterday and finished off the set with the Spidey Cap set today. I got just one question, which Iron Man is this version supposed to be? If it has already been answered earlier, I apologize. :-)Awesome set, by the way!

I think it's supposed to be a shiny, non-bulky updated version of Extremis. I've heard others say it's supposed to be the version he had right before, but there's not enough yellow in the legs and the details are different.

Found everything but the Vindicator/Box set at a local TRU. When I got home I was surprised to find the Havok/Storm pack was missing Havok's blast accessory. There was only 1 of say set on the shelves, so I'm not sure a return would get me an accessory. Is this something DST could handle?

I think it's supposed to be a shiny, non-bulky updated version of Extremis. I've heard others say it's supposed to be the version he had right before, but there's not enough yellow in the legs and the details are different.

I was curious so I pulled out my copy of Iron Man: Extremis and I would say the 'mate is a very close match to the armor Tony wore at the beginning of the story and not the Extremis armor itself. The details on the helmet, gloves, and upper legs all seem to be based on Granov's art from the first few issues. I'm actually pretty impressed by this since I expected another kit-bashed Iron Man. It's a shame the sockets on the legs are so shallow that the legs fall off easily, otherwise this would be a really fantastic minimate.

I actually found this wave yesterday! (Which means Wave 13 just skipped Memphis, I guess?) Ultimate Cap and Spidey are both nice. No complaints about either. Box and Vindicator are both nice. Both of Vindicator's masks are too tight and don't come all the way down, but that's a minor quibble in an otherwise stellar set. Havok and Storm are both nearly perfect. My only gripe is Havok's screaming head. It would have been nice to have gotten a more neutral option. I've got plenty of spare heads to sub in, so it's certainly no deal breaker for what is easily me favorite 'mate of the wave. Rhino is great. Right now, he might even be my favorite bulked-up 'mate to date. Perfectly executed. This wave was so close to perfection. Then came Iron Man. He sucks. Even if his legs stayed on, he would still be pretty crappy. His legs are too skinny. His head and shoulders are too big and end up looking ridiculously out of proportion. No tampo under the shoulder armor either. I think some parts might get mismatched with some other IM 'mates to get a decent enough Extremis version. In an otherwise well-planned and well-executed wave, IM's badness really sticks out.

well all this talk of how lame Iron Man turned out is kind of disappointing... but only because that means not many people will be looking to trade anyone for him! i'm not one of those collectors that likes to have multiple variations of different characters. once i find one i like, i usually stick with it. that said, the IM i have on display right now is Bolt Face, so maybe it's time i updated him for a more current look...

after a quick search on mmdb, i'd have to say the Marvel vs Capcom Iron Man is probably my favorite...

Edited by CortherX

I'm going to have to disagree here; even with the leg socket issues this is my favorite Iron Man outside of Hulkbuster. I think it captures the look of the comic art very accurately. It's not going to be much good for playing with, but I can get mine to stand or stay on a flight stand so it's good enough for my purposes.

I was curious so I pulled out my copy of Iron Man: Extremis and I would say the 'mate is a very close match to the armor Tony wore at the beginning of the story and not the Extremis armor itself. The details on the helmet, gloves, and upper legs all seem to be based on Granov's art from the first few issues. I'm actually pretty impressed by this since I expected another kit-bashed Iron Man. It's a shame the sockets on the legs are so shallow that the legs fall off easily, otherwise this would be a really fantastic minimate.

I agree that it could be the one he wore right before the Extremis suit, because it certainly is not the Extremis variation. One glarring detail is the lack of bifurcated feet. :biggrin:

I'm just tired of Iron Man in this style of armor. It's not even his current armor anymore, and hasn't been for awhile. If we had to have another Iron Man (and I'll accept that we did), couldn't we at least have gotten a newer version on the Modern Heroic Age figure? Anyway, I barely even looked at him before throwing him in the Iron Man box.

Edited by hellpop

I just dislike how many versions of this armor we get, yet they're always flawed somehow.

Mask tampo messed up (Civil War), too tall (Civil War) or funky jive-ass legs (this one). I wish they could nail this once and for all and then leave it alone. That's where my frustration comes in. Multiple versions, each with flaws.

Yeah, DST nails some looks immediately. Heck, most Iron Men are pretty well done. But this look has just been tough to nail down. Unfortunately, earlier attempts have been done in a different color, and I haven't found any suitable replacement legs. This 'mate would have been much, much better with non-sculpted legs.

And since it doesn't seem like we can part-swap legs with the Avengers movie-version (see page 9), I'm left in a rut. Usually if something isn't "great", we all figure out how to fix it and we're all fine. But with this one... I'm left wondering if it's possible or not.

Guess I'll see when I get mine in the mail... and then decide if I want to buy an Avengers movie Iron Man. :wacko:

Edited by Mystery Man

So got Iron Man/Rhino and Vindicator/Box today. Box is surprisingly a lot more awesome than I thought he would be. Can't get his helmet off, but I only tried for about 30-40 seconds and moved on. Doesn't much matter to me since I doubt I'd be having him around without his helmet on anyway. Iron Man is great from the wait up. His legs are really really weird. I haven't tried to pose him or anything, but the gap between his legs is just unsettling to me. But his helmet came off with no issue and stays snug. Rhino is absolutely phenomenal. Just perfect. I love him. So entirely much. But vindicator is my favorite of the four. On mine at least her paint is sharp and clean, no messiness, no sticking, no issues with either of the helmets. She's actively flawless. Mine anyways, it sucks that some people are having problems with any of these, because aside from QC issues and Iron Man's legs, this wave is just plain amazing.

I will post pictures soon.

Edited by The Geohound

Found this wave! Only 1 each of Alpha Flight/X-Men, but at least I got to compare paintjobs for the other packs.

MAN, does this Iron Man suck. WOW. The legs look awful, and won't stay on the hip balls.

And the masks were impossible to remove. Freezer didn't work, and made the neck holes too small & tight for the neck pegs, so I couldn't even put the heads back on to try to pull the the helmet/masks off. So, I dropped them in boiling water. Then the neck holes were too loose, so while they went back on fine, trying to slide the masks off ended up just pulling the head back off. FINALLY got them all, but yeesh.

Heather's great. I can't wait for the NYCC set to come in. I've been waiting for this team for a LONG time (Guardian was one of my first customs). I just need a modern (X-Club) Jeffries now. Stand him next to Box, "operating" it.

A little Dremel goes a long way with this 'mate.

I used it on both the ball joint and the leg hole, then had to use a little superglue to prevent the joint from being too lose. If anyone else goes this route, I recommend just starting with removing some plastic from the ball joint first to see if that is all you need to do.

IMAG0463-1-1.jpg

Edited by youbastards

Huge improvement, but there's still something of to me. His head looks to big, and his shins look under-designed compared to the rest of his legs. But still way better then he looks now. I may beal out the dremmel later and try that.