UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Most wanted "NEW" Marvel Mate

ImABarRoomHero

Commander Rogers might just be a place holder, but visually I prefer it to just about any of Cap's non-Cap uniforms he's worn over the years. Wish the stories had been as good as the design. And the look was hyped pretty well. I wouldn't mind if Steve kept the uniform around a little, you know, as a business casual outfit. I definitely want to se Commander Rogers at some point in minimate form if for no other reason than to add a little variety to the Cap mix.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I am not saying I don't want a Commander Rogers. I am saying that I think he's a different class of character variation than an Iron Man armor, and a that any momentum he had for getting made sooner rather than later is lost. YMMV.

Oh I hear you and agree. It's just that as far as non-Cap Cap costumes go, I like this one quite a bit and think that if it didn't get made for the simple reason that it's technically not "Captain America" it'd be a lost opportunity. The TTA set would have been a great place to put him.

sell it out of a taco truck.

You win this thread! Make it a taco truck that sells beer AND gives out free minimates, in addition to showing off the new minimates AND sell all the con-exclusives, and I would never need to step foot into SDCC again! (set up some chairs under some shade outside for the panel too :) )

Zach, THIS is within your power! Make It So!! :lol: (j/k Zach!)

But seriously, all I was saying that, other than those dudes, MOST of the two-packs that have come out had at LEAST one of the following dudes in it: Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Mr. Fantastic, Thing or Deadpool. Some of them even had two of those guys, and the remainder had Hawkeye, Storm and Doom as their big guns, none of whom are slouches.

Just reading through this thread for the first time..i want to chirp in about the MU comic 2-packs. Every store I go to are SWIMMING in the packs that have the two A-listers, even some of the ones that only have one A-lister peg warm like crazy. The two packs like Powerman and Ironfist or even the ones with the Wrecking Crew, are nowhere to be seen. It's the Cap/Thor/Wolverine/Spiderman sets that sit there and rot.

But seriously, all I was saying that, other than those dudes, MOST of the two-packs that have come out had at LEAST one of the following dudes in it: Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Mr. Fantastic, Thing or Deadpool. Some of them even had two of those guys, and the remainder had Hawkeye, Storm and Doom as their big guns, none of whom are slouches.

Just reading through this thread for the first time..i want to chirp in about the MU comic 2-packs. Every store I go to are SWIMMING in the packs that have the two A-listers, even some of the ones that only have one A-lister peg warm like crazy. The two packs like Powerman and Ironfist or even the ones with the Wrecking Crew, are nowhere to be seen. It's the Cap/Thor/Wolverine/Spiderman sets that sit there and rot.

That's because those were shipped in higher quantities. The Wrecking Crew packs were in one case assortment, maybe two for some. The A-Listers were included in several case revisions and shipped more frequently. I don't see the Wolverine/Silver Samurai pegwarming at all. That case included DP/Taskmaster, Thor & IM, Sentry & SpM, the last two were already available from a previous assortment.

Also, MM is not the same as MU. (MM > MU !)

EDIT: Monkeycrumb beat me to it. Damn you Monkeycrumb! :verymad:

Edited by hellpop

I don't think anyone was too bothered that we got the Warren Ellis Thunderbolts team a year after that roster had changed, because it was a cool team in recent memory.

The difference I think is that the Ellis T-Bots had some really cool, strong stories associated with them. Commander Rogers... not so much. Unless you found the whole Evil Fury LMD thing particularly memorable.

No I didn't, but I've found Secret Avengers pretty memorable since Ellis took over. The issue he did with Jamie McKelvie was especially good, you should def check it out if you haven't.

Also, the Rogers outfit has still been showing up in Secret Avengers post-Fear Itself, so there's that as well as the trades/hardcovers.

At least one that I know of.

Ooh, I like this game. Okay, so:

Bi-Beast

Rom the Spaceknight

Kang

Werewolf By Night

Any of those you know of?

Well, it won't be Rom, because Marvel doesn't have the rights to him. Luke does have a really good Rom decal set at the Factory, though.

Which is a shame. Rom was probably their best toy adaptation book. To exactly whom the rights have gone is something of a mystery, I understand. It's been around 30 years, I haven't even heard a rumor of anyone bringing Rom back in any form. You'd think with all that new Disney money Marvel would just go buy the whole concept outright and start making new comics, toys and the whole 9 yards.

People like to call Rom a lame book... but they've probably never read it. Hey, I was one of 'em, until someone whose opinion I trust recommended it to me. Rom was a GREAT comic, probably Bill Mantlo's finest work (outside the Rocket Raccoon mini, that is!)

I think the deal now is that Parker Bros still owns the rights, and that Marvel has inquired a few times, but they want an exorbitant amount of money for a property they aren't doing anything with. Maybe Disney can shake something loose.

I think Parker Brothers is the only company that has ever owned rights to Rom. Marvel only had a license to publish comics that were supposed to support the toy line. The toys flopped while the book enjoyed some success. Add to the mix that Parker Brothers is a subsidiary of Hasbro and that Marvel is a subsidiary of Disney, and you get... a whole bunch of red tape. I can see how PB/H wouldn't want to sell any rights to M/D only to have to buy a license to make toys. I can also see how M/D wouldn't want to pay a premium for rights with a proven track record of merchandising failure. I also, though, see that if done right, Rom could be a pretty big multi-company cash cow... Toy Story 4: The Return of Rom.

The funny thing is the only things Marvel can't use are the name and likeness of Rom himself. The whole Spaceknights of Galador, Dire Wraiths, all the trappings of the title were all created by Marvel and still owned by them. Heck there are apparently still Dire Wraiths lurking around in 616 Russia. The only liscensed part- the title character.

And Rom did the whole secret invasion story decades before the actual Secret Invasion story. And it too turned into a crossover, as just about every major title of the time found itself dealing with the Dire Wraith infiltration and the whole de-powered Storm story that ran for years in the X-Men stemmed from events in Rom. Good stuff indeed.

As a side note, the Dire Wraith's are a subspecies of Skrull, but were banished from Skrullos for their mystic practices that had rendered them a parasitic breed. The relationship between Skrulls and Dire Wraiths is analogous humans and vampires. Not saying Dire Wraiths are undead mind you but they have a similar realationship.

• 2 weeks later...

Rom was some fine comic reading back in the day, so much so it still holds up well today.another great Mantlo "toy" title was Micronauts, great stuff there as well. The only bit of revival I have ever heard of was a rumored anime called "Rom Spaceknight" though I have never had much success tracking it down.

Kang

Winter Soldier

Baron Zemo

Blackheart

Baron Von Strucker

I'd buy these 5 without a doubt, I'm not a completist but i think all 5 of these have made their way into Marvel Universe or Marvel Legends scale at some point. :) I definately remember having Kang, Baron Zemo, Blackheart & Baron Von Strucker in ML Scale.

In the end i opted for Kang, simply because out of the 5 he was the more recogniseable and more desireable for me personally, I really would like to see a Blackheart Minimate, i enjoyed battling him in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance Game and the fact we've had a Ghostrider figure already would be great to see one of his enemies :)

Rich

I definetly want Tigra and Squirrel Girl, for sure.

More Squirrel Girl love is always welcome.

Ah, Squirrel Girl.:wub:

I think that most of the top vote getters on this list are no suprises to anyone. Except for SG. My hope is that if anything comes out of this, it's that Squirrel Girl will get some notice for the serious contender she is. I still go back to the fact that if Psylocke in an obscure costume and a teleporting dog can get a two pack that sells out, then it stands to reason that a Squirrel Girl/Rocket Raccon pack will be a sure thing also.

• 1 month later...