UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Most wanted "NEW" Marvel Mate

ImABarRoomHero

I have never disagreed with you more than at this moment. Faustus hater.

The one saving grace would be sculpted mustache. Otherwise, I don't need no fat civilians in my collection. They make me face the harsh reality that I, too, am a fat civilian. . .only without an awesome mustache/beard combination and ability to defeat my foes by driving them insane.

I dunno - you still have the potential to drive your enemies insane, just at a much smaller scale, like driving really slowly in front of them, or forgetting to pick them up at the airport. Small acts of evil are still evil.

And ever since we got movie Volstagg earlier this year, I've thought his beard piece would be perfect for a Faustus.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Dr. Faustus 'mate would be neat, but I want sack-headed Zemo first. :D

And if Zemo ever gets made, I hope he comes with an alternate mask-head and a few parts to make either of the versions of the character.

As for Kang clogging up the shelves... I will personally buy each and every one of them so that doesn't happen.

Edited by Mystery Man

I dunno - you still have the potential to drive your enemies insane, just at a much smaller scale, like driving really slowly in front of them, or forgetting to pick them up at the airport. Small acts of evil are still evil.

You always find that silver lining. Thank you for your words of inspiration, Boyd :highfive2:

I must admit that years of cracking my fingers in front of my wife has already reaped dividends toward this goal.

Can't believe I forgot to add Faustus, one of my favorite characters from the pre-600's Brubaker Cap. Anyway, regardless of what is made in the future, I am absolutely flattered, as we all should be, that DST is taking this much of our input into what comes out next. Also, I really hope this poll can help solve some arguments of who should come out next. There's about 50 spaces left for new characters if anyone else wants to add any. Just let me know!

I added Faustus not from any great love of the character, but because he was a villian in the whole Winter Soldier / Death of Cap story. Otherwise you could swap him out from Alesander Lukin mate with pull over Red Skull mask. But that would probably count as two redos in a boxed set, and that gets people's knickers in a twist. You could also swap Faustus out for Sin if neccessary. The effort was not to exclude Zemp or Kang, but to re-order the grouping to be more story arc specific, and thus more like the Stormbreaker set used as an example.

You could include Kang in a set or wave based on Avengers Forever or the Celestial Madonna story.

For Zemo... my favorite Zemo story remains the Mansion Siege. Baron Zemo, leading the fourth incarnation of the Masters of Evil in victory over the Avengers. And he had beaten the current team, took their mansion and held it. But for under estimating the Wasp, and her rounding up some reservists, (most importantly Thor) Zemo's victory would have been total. And what a roster the 4th Masters had, a who's who of heavyweight henchmen the likes that hadn't been seen since the Secret Wars- the Absorbing Man and Titania, the Wrecking Crew, Moonstone, Yellowjacket (DeMara), the Fixer, Mr. Hyde, Tiger Shark, Blackout, Grey Garagoyle, Screaming Mimi, Whirlwind, and Goliath!! Makes the head swim at the thought of mates of all those guys doesn't it? What do you think, Zach? You guys up for an 18 figure super-boxed set?

So you're saying you'll never make a Wrecking Crew boxset <_<

I am not the final arbiter of such things, but it certainly seems unlikely, doesn't it? Given what's come before? It would probably take a lot of convincing, and strong retailer support for it. That said, some pretty obscure two-packs have been made for TRU, so that's always a route we could take. I thought the Marvel Universe 1-and-1 route was rough. This is pure speculation, remember. No plans at this time that I've seen.

You guys up for an 18 figure super-boxed set?

I think we've talked about doing bigger box sets, but nothing definite.

I don't think it's so much that DST is taking in our input more than it's just Zach toying with us...:thumbsup:

I'm really not doing this for fun, just trying to offer a different point of view on things -- one that's informed, and yet has no real power. And if I can re-assure the desperate from time to time, even better. That said, I do offer my input on product occasionally, so I like hypothesizing with Minimate experts about what might be cool, but also work as a realistic, mass-friendly release.

I'm someone who's level of interest in Marvel is certainly 'above' that of a casual fan, who would recognise a Spider-Man or a Wolverine on a shelf, but at the same time, not someone who has been following all things Avengers for a number of decades. I could name 20-30 Spidey villains off the top of my head, but couldn't tell you a thing about the Shi'ar (perhaps even spell it), the Skrull royal family (do they have one?), or anything Iron Man got up to in the Silver Age. Perhaps I do myself disservice, and my knowledge of Marvel has increased substantially over the last 4-5 years (mainly thanks to minimates, I might add).

Now, I know Zach and the wonderful folk at DST have really stressed that the big hitters will always be the big sellers, and it is nigh on imperative that they're on shelves at all time(somewhat understandable, for sure). Along with that, a lot of the time, some of the 'elder' statesmen, more 'dedicated' (if you will) Marvel fans on here are at times saying how much they'd love characters I've barely even hear of. If there ever was a 'happy medium', I'm that guy. That said...

- I would consider (from the above list) Kang, Falcon, Black Knight, Zemo and Enchantress to be absolutely vital, and cannot believe we haven't seem that made in, what is it... coming up to 8-9 years of Marvel mates? I'm not even saying they're ones I want before anyone else, they're simply such important characters that haven't made it to production.

- An actual question to Zach, I'm hoping you'll be able/willing to answer; when someone (inevitably) suggests a Wrecking Crew or Brotherhood (Blob, Pyro, Avalanche, Toad) boxset up at HQ, how does it get knocked back? I realise that hundreds of ideas must be thrown around regularly, but what is the thought process when a Curse of the Mutants or Age of X set gets produced, before we have a ready made set of X-Men villains, that have (mainly) featured regularly since the 60s?

again, not having a go... its simply curiousity, at worst... dismay

I completely agree with Mirymate's earlier point that we don't get nearly enough mid-level villains outside of Spider-Man's rogues. The Marvel Universe has so many really cool looking villains, but it seems like with 'mates we typically only get the big name mastermind type villains like Dr. Doom and the Red Skull.

If somebody asked me to finance the production of just one Minimate* I wouldn't hesitate in deciding who that would be, it would be The Falcon . Virtually every winged Minimate has sold well so that's a good start ,the moulds are mostly available ,the character is popular & anybody that was reading Captain America in 1971-1978 has probably heard of him because the name of the comic book was Captain America & the Falcon......anybody that hasn't, ought to have. He's a black guy which is neither here nor there unless you want to add that he was the first mainstream African American comic hero. He'd sit nicely in any Cap-related two-pack... or four-pack.... & need no explanation why he was there because one way or another he always has been. His uniforms are varied but all are instantly recognisable as is his wild falcon Redwing. He has been an Avenger & a Defender .

Easy choice.

*Ask me DST ,I'm not rich but I know a winner when I see one & I wouldn't lose a penny.

Can we get Whirlwind added to the list?

I'm not a huge fan of the character, but I like the design. I think a lot of the older Marvel designs would work well for minimates even if you don't know who the character is. I think the old Toy Biz 5-inch line is a great source for characters that would translate well to MM when it comes to FF, IM, Cap & Spidey villains.

As for the Wrecking Crew, I would buy them, but I don't need them all in the same set. MU had three of them in comic 2-packs then released Wrecker as a single pack. It would be wisest for sales to have Thor in any 4-pack. My choice would Thor, Heimdall (Comic), 2 Wrecking Crew Members, then 2-pack with the remaining 2 members. In that same wave would be Frog Thor, Odin, Enchantress & Executioner. Then Thor & the Warriors Three (Comic Style) in another 4-pack. I would prefer Warriors Three over Wrecking Crew in terms of who gets released first, but I want them all!

Bottom line is this: I'm GLAD we still have so many desired figures - that's a sign of character depth, as opposed to "scraping the bottom of the barrel" (which will never happen with Marvel, I'm sure). Give us another strong 10 years and include all of the figures on this poll, and there will still be tons of unmade characters I'd be happy to purchase!

The one saving grace would be sculpted mustache. Otherwise, I don't need no fat civilians in my collection. They make me face the harsh reality that I, too, am a fat civilian. . .only without an awesome mustache/beard combination and ability to defeat my foes by driving them insane.

I see, so you're jealous of my awesome mustache and goatee. I see how it is.

For Zemo... my favorite Zemo story remains the Mansion Siege. Baron Zemo, leading the fourth incarnation of the Masters of Evil in victory over the Avengers. And he had beaten the current team, took their mansion and held it. But for under estimating the Wasp, and her rounding up some reservists, (most importantly Thor) Zemo's victory would have been total.

Awesome! That happened in EMH! :wub: I didn't know that was an actual story before hand!

What do you think, Zach? You guys up for an 18 figure super-boxed set?

Epic. Although it wouldn't be the first time.

I'm someone who's level of interest in Marvel is certainly 'above' that of a casual fan, who would recognise a Spider-Man or a Wolverine on a shelf, but at the same time, not someone who has been following all things Avengers for a number of decades. I could name 20-30 Spidey villains off the top of my head, but couldn't tell you a thing about the Shi'ar (perhaps even spell it), the Skrull royal family (do they have one?), or anything Iron Man got up to in the Silver Age. Perhaps I do myself disservice, and my knowledge of Marvel has increased substantially over the last 4-5 years (mainly thanks to minimates, I might add).

Now, I know Zach and the wonderful folk at DST have really stressed that the big hitters will always be the big sellers, and it is nigh on imperative that they're on shelves at all time(somewhat understandable, for sure). Along with that, a lot of the time, some of the 'elder' statesmen, more 'dedicated' (if you will) Marvel fans on here are at times saying how much they'd love characters I've barely even hear of. If there ever was a 'happy medium', I'm that guy.

Yeah, I'm with Fett. I can recognize most Spidey characters on contact, but I couldn't identify an Xmen villain to save my life (Outside of Magneto, Mystique and Sabertooth) Quite possibly because the Xmen have a distinctive lack of rogues? :P

But seriously, most kids and even parents are the same way. Spidey is known. He's recognizable. He's had movies for 10 years that have sold billions of dollars in toys. If you know who Xorn is, you're doing a lot better than the average kid when it comes to Xmen. But with Spidey? Kids can rattly off all the A and B list villains, and even some C listers as well. You need to dig deep like Swarm or Queen Bee before you enter 'wtf' territory when it comes to Spidey.

We get Spidey villains because kids, and parents, and I, know who they are. We don't get Avenger villains because they're not in the public eye. Like Kang! Don't blame DST for what Hollywood doesn't do. Shoot, I'd rather have Spot, Arana, Madam Web and Demogoblin before Kang. Because I know who the characters are and care about them.

Falcon, Winter Soldier and Zemo are high Bs (most, if not all villains are Bs), and while I love Commander Rogers, if he's not Cap, he's not Cap. Not saying we won't make those characters, just not THAT box set.

We are talking about the guy that MU just put out, right? His costume isn't so radically different from SW Cap that came with Crossbones.

So why don't you just heir on the side of public appeal, package him with a mask, and name his "Commander Rogers Captain America"? Is that a terrible idea?

Bottom line is this: I'm GLAD we still have so many desired figures - that's a sign of character depth, as opposed to "scraping the bottom of the barrel" (which will never happen with Marvel, I'm sure). Give us another strong 10 years and include all of the figures on this poll, and there will still be tons of unmade characters I'd be happy to purchase!

This. I would also like to point out the fact that we're having a civil discussion about a figure line that we love, with a guy who works there, listens to (and respects?) us...

I love this board.

Fair points, Fett and DInobutt. But the visibility of Avengers rougues is increasing, thanks to EMH in no small part. With the movie this summer, I expect that visibility to only increase.

And yeah, TM2, there were similarities to the EMH story. Except in the comics, the Masters ransack the mansion, and beat the captured hostage Avengers within an inch of their lives. They almost killed Edwin Jarvis, (who in comics is a person not a computer) while forcing Cap to watch, and if not for Hercules' immortality they would have killed him. And what the Masters didn't wreck on the way in and looting, the battle to retake the masion took out. It was long years before the Avengers rebuilt in that location, and the mansion itself wasn't truely restored until the dying act of a Watcher remade the building back to it's pre-seige state.

And there was no Enchantress to teleport the Master's away, no they each had to be beaten. Blackout died, Zemo and Moonstone were injured to the point of hospitalization. It was a fairly brutal storyline. And I don't blame Zemo for his error, I would never have believed the Wasp and Scott Lang as Ant-Man could have beaten Titania and Absorbing Man in a head-to-head fight.

We are talking about the guy that MU just put out, right? His costume isn't so radically different from SW Cap that came with Crossbones.

So why don't you just heir on the side of public appeal, package him with a mask, and name his "Commander Rogers Captain America"? Is that a terrible idea?

I don't think so, but Marvel might, as it doesn't reflect the comics. As fun as Minimates are, they have to represent what's on the page or screen.

This. I would also like to point out the fact that we're having a civil discussion about a figure line that we love, with a guy who works there, listens to (and respects?) us...

I love this board.

I RESPECT YOU ALL. And as a former collector, I can appreciate a collector's desire to complete a collection. I've also seen what happens when a collection is completed. The line dies a slow death. I wouldn't say that we're avoiding certain characters to draw things out -- there are still plenty to do, clearly -- but we're also not in a hurry, which means we have the luxury of doing '80s and '90s characters before '60s classics, or even the new Spidey on the block.

So you're saying you'll never make a Wrecking Crew boxset <_<

Chuck already did say in a Q&A that if we ever got the Wrecking Crew it wouldn't be as a box set.

And, if (when) they do release the Wrecking Crew individually, I actually TRUST DST to complete the team!! :biggrin:

Granted, it might take a year or it might take awhile (*cough* Inhumans *cough*). But I do see them coming through for us! Say what you will about TRU, but they've really increased our ability to flesh out our collections!

I think you're relatively safe with either the X-Men or the Avengers from completeing either roster. You've got to get down to the D-listers like Deathbird and Maggot, which unless a line planning meeting runs to 3 am and people are in that punchy tired zone where everything is funny I doubt their names will come up any time soon. Villain teams like the Brotherhood and the Masters are pretty safe too, too many people have been members at various times to get them all in the foreseeable... though it would be nice to complete at least one of their rosters sometime soon. Heck even given your perchant for masterminds, we don't even have a whole set of Acts of Vengance prime movers yet. Pretty much the only completed teams are the core members of Excalibur, the original Sinister Six and the Fantastic Four. Even the Invaders are two members short of completion.

I do understand what you're saying, Zach. But at this point you folks have got more things teasingly unfinished than a Chris Claremont writing run.

Oh, come on. You have four fan favorites and two characters starring in current books (WS in his own and Falcon in X vs A), and it's a convention set targeted to comic people. Maybe swap out Zemo for Commander Rogers just so you can get a star-n-stripes shield in there, and you can't say this lineup is any less feasible than the Stormbreaker set from last year.

That set did have Thor, and a Thor movie had just come out. Comic-con sets aren't just targeted at hardcore Minimate collectors, they're targeted at non-Minimate-buying comic fans, and even attendees who don't read a lot of comics. So you need an A-lister. Kang, Falcon, Winter Soldier and Zemo are high Bs (most, if not all villains are Bs), and while I love Commander Rogers, if he's not Cap, he's not Cap. Not saying we won't make those characters, just not THAT box set.

Sorry, I got a little behind and just saw this, but...

I don't understand the logic here at all. Who, pray tell, is the A-lister in the Age of X box set? Gambit? Please. Magneto? Debatable, as he has name recognition from the movies, though not in that outfit. Cyclops and Rogue? Well, maybe... except that they have different names, much the way a hypothetical Commander Rogers Minimate would. And Hasbro doesn't seem too concerned that Commander Rogers will leave parents and children dumbfounded, considering that he's currently on shelves in the Marvel Universe line, and that he'll be part of the first wave of the relaunched Marvel Legends. I think, also, that if you made the box set and stuck it in the same basic package used for the Cap Through the Ages box set, called it "Cap Friends and Foes", no one would notice there isn't an actual Captain America... just like the Wolverine Through the Ages box set that didn't have Wolverine. :biggrin:

Actually, you have enough Steve Rogers variants to have a second boxed set of Not-Caps Through the Ages- Nomad, the Captain, the Ex-Patriot, and Commander Rogers. Guess we'll have to wait for the Captian America sequel for that. :rolleyes:

I've said a few times that I feel like the Cap box set is a bit of a lost opportunity, because we could have gotten more variation of characters with Steve Rogers' various "Not Captain America" identities. Instead we just got four Caps, which, considering that it's apparently imperative that we have a figure named Captain America in at least every other wave, may have been a bit much. Somewhere between the "all Cap" set and the Wolverine "all Logans" set is the perfect Through the Ages box set... the Iron Man one, I guess.

I'll ask you, Miry, and everyone else I suppose: what would you rather have:

Cap Through the Ages II:

Nomad

The Captain (aka the US Agent Costume)

Man Without a Country (is that what you meant by Ex-Pat?)

Commander Rogers

Cap Friends and Foes:

Falcon

Baron Zemo

Winter Soldier

Commander Rogers