UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AGENT 88 KICKSTARTER MINIMATES

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And lo, a PRESS RELEASE shall appear. Extolling the virtues of DIGGER MESCH and his new project AGENT 88! Thank you for dropping the names KEVIN EASTMAN and HEAVY METAL. Forgive me for not sharing my contact info with you, I'd hate to have you scream your associates names at me when you want to share who else is on board with your project.

I think there's a big difference between blue & gold Vorin minimates that are given away by DST, and Kickstarter minimates that you have to buy into to get. For Kickstarter, minimates are just the carrot at the end of a stick. They are not being given away like DST promo minimates are. These are not "one-and-done" cheaply obtained special mates like Chef Duff & Goth Girl were. It's a whole wave of exclusives.

As for Battle Beasts, again, I have nothing against promos that they need to make to give away to drum up support for their business. Battle Beasts lost me with the Comic Book Retailer Incentive Limited Vorin. That's not a promo, that's a pure gotta-pay-to-get-one scenario. If you had to buy a case of minimates to get one, it would be a different story. But don't make me buy a bundle of comics I don't want to get it. I do respect that they made him so dull, so I just need grey spraypaint and I can make my own. But it caused me to lose interest in tracking down any of them now. I don't own a single Vorin. And I'm fine with that, which as a former minimate completist it's kinda weird how suddenly I'm okay with passing on many different mates that don't hold my interest.

I respect Digger as a person, and as the creator of Minimates. I respect Zach more than I could put into words. I also understand that DST is a company, and change can and does happen.

I'm not liking what I perceive to be a new direction for minimates. I do not want to see entire WAVES of mates becoming Kickstarter exclusives. I do not want minimates to be the carrot on the stick for non-minimate projects, be they comics, films, or whatever else the future brings.

Minimates are what we come here for. I respect those involved with minimates, from creation to distribution to fans. But when you expect me to buy in at a level far above the norm, I'm going to say my piece. If that makes me a "hater", then so be it. While I wish Digger luck with his project, it's not something I want any part of. Just don't let this become a trend.

Digger, is your Minimate going to be of your Agent 88 character? Mayhew is a character, as well?

I think there is a lot of grumbling fans because we are VERY protective of your baby. I'm glad you stopped in because I think if people get a few things cleared up, moods may change. I've been conversing with you casually since 2003. Back then we were a small fanbase just curious to see what was next. Step-children to the Trek fans. Nowadays, you can call us Legion, because we are many. There is a lot of passion around here.

to go mildly off topic the "comic book limited vorin" is not for you to buy a stack to get, it is for your comic book store to want to buy a stack to sell and get the figures to sell as a exclusive to draw in clients into the shops. I am a noobie around here and respect all you old timers and still got to learn my ways so I honestly dont mean any disrespect by anything at all as well.

to go mildly off topic the "comic book limited vorin" is not for you to buy a stack to get, it is for your comic book store to want to buy a stack to sell and get the figures to sell as a exclusive to draw in clients into the shops. I am a noobie around here and respect all you old timers and still got to learn my ways so I honestly dont mean any disrespect by anything at all as well.

I can respect your noob-ness, but Luke was gracious enough to offer the deal here to those that wanted it. Buy 25 copies of the comic, get the "free" figure. Or, pay the markup at the comic store IF they ordered it and you know it won't be cheap.

Hey Digger, I sent you a message through the Kickstarter site but I thought I'd ask here since I think others are interested as well.

Which 2 Minimates are missing from the '8 for 88'? I pledged that already but I'd love to be able to get all 10 - just wondering how much more I'd need to pledge.

Consider my interest piqued if the movie has an eight month baby assassin sidekick. Fuck CGI animated teddy bears, a tiny baby killing terrorists would be a blockbuster smash hit.

I watched Digger's trailer for Agent 88 that he posted on Facebook last night and I really was hoping the baby in the car was going to kill someone.

The promotional trailer answers some questions. Apparently this project is a web series and not a feature film. It looks well made and professional. I am curious about the business model. Is the plan to generate revenue from ads featured on Dig Deep Entertainment's site or by selling merchandise? I'm unaware of any pay per view web series and this project seems like it will broadcast episodes free on the web. Or is the ultimate goal to get picked up by a network? How many episodes will Kickstarter kick start?

What is the target audience for this video project? A ton of Kickstarter video projects seem to cater to very niche interests like documentaries on art. Others seem to be trying to cash in on fads like zombies. Is the idea to appeal to a wide audience? Can an elderly British actress carry a lead role for 18 - 35 male demographic in the martial arts genre when competing with fare led by the Angelina Jolie's or Scarlet Johanssons? Also how does this contrast with movies like RED with elderly assassins and Bruce Willis?

I hope I'm not coming across like a hater as I'm honestly neutral about these Minimates, and I am curious how this project develops. I was also neutral about Goth Girl and Duff as well and eventually picked them up. A "Digger" minimate would be cool to me as would a "Chuck" and a "Zach" (ok,ok a "Robert" too). Hopefully we at least get zombie versions in the Walking Dead line.

Hey Digger, I sent you a message through the Kickstarter site but I thought I'd ask here since I think others are interested as well.

Which 2 Minimates are missing from the '8 for 88'? I pledged that already but I'd love to be able to get all 10 - just wondering how much more I'd need to pledge.

I would like to know this also.

I would also like to know if there could be a package made that had all Minimates associated with this and nothing else. I'd be much more apt to pledge if I knew I was getting everything all at once. And if it had a gold Vorin included somehow I'm sure others would be more apt to pledge also.

Edited by groundhog7s

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words. No disrepect was taken, I have thick skin. You care about this, you vent and share here collectively. I get that. It's a good thing.

When our Trek boards were in full swing at Art Asylum, I'll be honest with you I completely tuned out because I didnt get into the arts to please every single human on Earth. I was trying to breath new life into Trek with original designs and Alien Borgs and many people were not reacting well to it so we did ( for the most part ) what everyone seemed to want. My people were on the boards and tuning into what was desired by the fan base. Soon after TREK pretty much died on the vine at box office until the JJ reboot. A lot of angry next gen fans out there were not up for change that was so desperately needed. Box office on the new Star Trek reflects that.

I do not understand why if something is available on the market that's obviously NOT for everyone in the first place that people would react as though they are getting slapped in the face. I have an old woman who kicks ass in a world full of odd ball assassins. It's not the norm...is it ? I don't expect the whole world to run to it but I'll be honest the reactions have been pretty awesome from industry people that we have something very different. This is what I'm all about. I want to work with amazing people and try new things. It's what I do best. I offered variations so that people had some choices. When we cash out ...if we cash out I'll make the whole run of everything and we'll take them out to promote in circles that would never ever know anything about MINIMATES. This is a good thing isnt it ?

Does that somehow affect the fans negatively? Either i'm selling out like a cheap whore or i'm being too artsy or precious. It's a NO WIN so please understand this is my universe and we're going to try some things thanks to DST/ Art Asylum. I hope you like it and will help spread the word about my project. It would mean the world to me and to everyone who has worked so hard on this. You don't have to buy anything you don't want. No one has a gun to anyone's head.

Artists create things and those creations are embraced by some and not others. I DO like limited runs of prints and art in general. I'm not ashamed of this. I LOVE the fine art world. They make 1 of 1 generally. Not everyone needs to own the same things in my eyes. This is not to make people feel left out of in the cold. I LOVE MARVEL but this is NOT MARVEL. It's an eclectic property that needs to be limited. I want the actors to have minimates of themselves from the film. They're psyched about it! That this little action arthouse series which we want to go to feature with after the series runs it's course would have a toyline ...of any kind ..IS FUCKING COOL! You only see this happen in Japan for the most part.

I can't begin express how honored and stoked I am to be working with the entire cast and crew. It's very very difficult to walk into another industry with no track record and get anyone to follow you. Especially with very little or NO money. No one gives a shit about my art career in the film world, I'm starting again from absolute scratch. Working with Carlos Gallardo from El Maricahi and Desperado? This man is legend to me! Peter Mayhew, Ernie Reyes Jr , Joseph Gatt, Damion Poitier, Ryan Martin and the rest have become very good friends. They see me working my ass off and they have gone out of their way to support AGENT 88. Why? Because it's different !

Kay D'Arcy has some Tv and film credits, mostly London theatre work. She does Tai Chi,has an amazing face and has acting range like not many others in the world. No one else could be this character. She's amazing! Imagine how hard it is to sell a film that centers around an old woman with mad kill skills! I can't ...so I need to just go ahead and make it and show people.

OK- I need to get back to work but thanks for listening and thanks even more for being passionate about Minimates. Life without passion SUCKS! I'll get everyone an updated list of the product as we didnt have time or resource to finish all the art with AA. There was madness surrounding comic con and they went out of their way for me as it was. We needed to go live before Comic Con so we'll be doing updates on the book and product.

The A88 RED Minimate from SDCC. We gave out 400 in the gift bags at the VERSUS WORLD event, I gave a few to friends. I kept 88 of them. They're going up on the Kickstarter as cheap as I can make them. Please understand that we want you to monitor the campaign for updates. You get that info even with a 1 dollar pledge.

On a side note, Minimates are going to have placement in the AGENT 88 series. Kyle Clark is a brilliant comedian/ actor who's doing a lot of work with the NERDIST. He plays Henry, one of the main characters who lives across the hall from 88 and he has the most mad MINIMATE collection around. I hope everyone embraces that. It's fun to see Minimates reach a broader audience. I don't profit from that. It's not my company anymore I just want to make it happen.

If we put them up for 18 bucks each in a few days is that cool ? It's as low as we can spin and still have some affect on the 88 k goal. To answer the question about why it's 88k. We needed more along the lines of 100k to really get this off to the races but I wanted to stay themed at 88 because I like the branding. we'll make due with it. Films cost a lot of money to make. I want killer action and special effects and even though Kay D'Arcy is in amazing shape for 80, we need FX. I'm not asking her to jump off buildings with a wire rig. Even though she really wants to !

Please help me spread the word on this, I know money is tight all over right now. It's not just about money. If you all reposted and donated 1 dollar you'd make a difference and we'd have a web series and then hopefully a film with Minimates on it.

Thanks for listening to the rant!

You rock,

DIG

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460783231/agent-88-the-web-series

Edited by Digger T Mesch

Either i'm selling out like a cheap whore or i'm being too artsy or precious. It's a NO WIN so please understand this is my universe and we're going to try some things thanks to DST/ Art Asylum.

I think you have changed my mind by saying this. You saying this tells me at least that you aren't out of touch with reality and that you see all of this for what it really is. Kudos to you and thanks for taking your time to spell it out a little bit more.

And just offering for $18 a piece sounds much easier to accept, so long as it's spelled out which ones are being offered.

I would also like to know if there could be a package made that had all Minimates associated with this and nothing else. I'd be much more apt to pledge if I knew I was getting everything all at once. And if it had a gold Vorin included somehow I'm sure others would be more apt to pledge also.

I'll get you a final list posted later today. Thanks so much for the support!

Also, This line can't cross over with anything DST is doing as far the Golden Vorin or anything else. 2 separate things entirely.

Also, This line can't cross over with anything DST is doing as far the Golden Vorin or anything else. 2 separate things entirely.

I find myself 'coming out' more & more lately,so I have no compunction in saying that to a degree I am envious of Digger . I've devoted a fair bit of my life to Minimates & therefore wish I had the credibility to walk into DST & say 'make me some Minimates.... here's the vonger...make it happen please' ....sadly I don't have that credibility,Digger does & deservedly so,hence the NV.

I'd bloody love to walk into Chuck's office & say...for example..."Hi Chuck how's it hanging, I've just secured the rights to 'Clockwork Orange' from the Stanley Kubrick estate & I want you to produce 3000 box sets of Alex & his droogs....please make it so " :thumbsup: " Thankyou....around "

Now I've been buying box sets from DST long enough to know that the total sales figure on 3000 box sets would be about $60K .....so unless I was a failed businessman....which I'm not.... I reckon that DST would charge me less than that to produce them . I realise that I'd have to pay the Stanley Kubrick estate a substantial amount..... but hey we're up & running .

I would do this & I would be only marginally irritated if I felt, at a later date, that I'd blown up to $60K & had a 1000 'Clockwork Orange' box sets left over in 'Storage Area 3' because they didn't sell . It's not like they're 'Spirit' or 'Punisher' box sets is it ? :tongue:

edit:I must really get myself a secretary who can type (also ;) ) because I typed my blurb without seeing what apparently looks like minutes ago in the scheme of things <_<

Edited by buttheadsmate

This 88 image is from a new photoshoot we did with ALLAN AMATO. He's awesome. We met randomly at a place called the Brewery in LA which is sort of an art colony where you need to be approved by a board to even be able to rent and the waiting list is enormous. He's the real deal, please check out his other work . He just did a photoshoot with Robert Rodriquez ,David Mack and many more . When I sent him the Kickstarter he just flipped out over how weird it all was and wanted in. Honored to have this level of talent on board.

This will be in the HEAVY METAL -The ART of 88 book and it's the first time Ive posted it. I'd like to give you previews on the art. If you repost, please attach ALLAN AMATO's credit to the image.

DIG

post-6559-0-21117400-1342739429_thumb.jp

Edited by Digger T Mesch

I gotta go check out this trailer.

EDIT: I can't find it. Facebook right?

Hmm...I think it is actually the promo video on Kickstarter. I saw it linked through Facebook on a post dated yesterday but it may have been around awhile. It's the one with the baby in the car between Digger and Kevin Smith. :P

Digger - Thanks for the detailed response. You've got my interest. Would it be possible to give a pledge that will give me all the Minimates including the red 88? Hells yes to a character in your series that is a Minimate/collector and enthusiast. That is the type of lunacy I love! You should have led with that nugget of info on MMMV. Just be sure your writer knows his Ma Hunkel from his Ultimate Avengers 2 Hulk variants or the MMMV will be livid. ;)

Hmm...I think it is actually the promo video on Kickstarter. I saw it linked through Facebook on a post dated yesterday but it may have been around awhile. It's the one with the baby in the car between Digger and Kevin Smith. :P

Digger - Thanks for the detailed response. You've got my interest. Would it be possible to give a pledge that will give me all the Minimates including the red 88? Hells yes to a character in your series that is a Minimate/collector and enthusiast. That is the type of lunacy I love! You should have led with that nugget of info on MMMV. Just be sure your writer knows his Ma Hunkel from his Ultimate Avengers 2 Hulk variants or the MMMV will be livid. ;)

Thanks Jatta ! We've been working day and night, we literally didn't have time to notify as many industry peeople as I wanted before we went live.

I have a question. Was she always Agent 88, and just happens to be 88 years old now? Or did she become Agent 88 when she turned 88, and was Agent 87 before? :whistling::lol:

That's a good question that I can't answer right now. It gets revealed later in the story.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460783231/agent-88-the-web-series

post-6559-0-41401500-1342748464_thumb.jp

post-6559-0-55135700-1342748639_thumb.jp

Thanks for chiming in Digger. It seems like a better understanding of the project has changed how it is received around here. I look forward to seeing more of the process.

I gotta admit dude, if someone came to me and said they had a script about an 88 year old lady who is a secret agent with Alzheimers, I'd be a little skeptical. Don't be put out by some of our opinions. I'm glad it is working for you. If we can do anything here on the site, let us know.

For what it's worth, I was at the Minimate Panel. The enthusiasm and passion that Digger displayed during his Agent 88 presentation was infectious. This is clearly something that means a lot to him and that's awesome. Digger created Minimates, and if he wants to use them to help get a project going, then more power to him. Nobody needs to collect every mate released (well except BHM), but if there are some special ones out there, the more the merrier! I just love that this line is moving to so many diverse lines and it really gives people a smattering of mates to buy that suits them.

I also sat in front of Kay D'Arcy during the minimate panel without knowing it until the end. What a sweet lady!

Panel Pics

Digger,

I just wanted to say that while I do have issues with some of the stuff you have done in the past (some has been spectacular. Minimates are a prime example) you have been nothing but nice and respectful to me, and I hope my comments and criticism were not taken as a personal attack against you. I just wanted to get that out there.

It's all good brother - thank you!

Man, I'd like to read the back story for how mates were first made by Digger and his evolution before selling off the company. Digger, you can tell you are an artist inside and out, keep up the good work and I am sure if you made your exclusive available for direct sale they would indeed sell quickly. I'd be more worried about all the Senior board members being able to buy one as 88 left to sell seems like a small number.

But $18.00 I think is reasonable for the 88 minimate, but where exactly can we order these in a few days? Can we buy more than one?

Edited by highassroller

Man, I'd like to read the back story for how mates were first made by Digger and his evolution before selling off the company. Digger, you can tell you are an artist inside and out, keep up the good work and I am sure if you made your exclusive available for direct sale they would indeed sell quickly. I'd be more worried about all the Senior board members being able to buy one as 88 left to sell seems like a small number.

But $18.00 I think is reasonable for the 88 minimate, but where exactly can we order these in a few days? Can we buy more than one?

you can see some of the past of Minimates here..and there are 2 other interviews with Digger on the blog too

http://portraitofanaddiction.blogspot.ca/2012/01/day-367.html

Jeff of the Minis

you can see some of the past of Minimates here..and there are 2 other interviews with Digger on the blog too

http://portraitofanaddiction.blogspot.ca/2012/01/day-367.html

Jeff of the Minis

thanks for this! being a noobie it is good to know this shit ;)