UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AGENT 88 KICKSTARTER MINIMATES

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang, Justin, I just realized I forgot to take a shirt. confused.gif

We were told he wasn't coming...

Of course...No need to come down from your throne to visit with the masses when you already know you have their undying love and affection. Maybe one day he'll grace us with his presence again, bearing gifts that nobody wants anymore.

Mentions on the web site for everyone!

I am temporarily pulling the Agent 88 Minimates from our store. I talked to Digger, Zach, and Chuck about these, and Minimates will be made, and soon, but some changes will be happening. They are still working out the details, but it is very active, and all parties involved want to get production started. Once I have the final details about the changes to our A88 exclusives, I will post them here, update our store listings, and will contact everyone who preordered them to give them options.

The character Minimates from the Kickstarter campaign will also be changing, but the changes are not final yet. As with the blanks, they are still working out the production details, but things are moving in the right direction.

In the C2E2 booth, I discovered that Zach (and Chuck) actually feel some responsibility about this fiasco. In my mind, this is ridiculous -- DST was simply the manufacturing vehicle and carries none of the blame. That the company reps should feel any responsibility towards finding a solution for us is service well above and beyond. Just sayin'.

Well, they did allow Digger to use the brand to advertise their association. All parties knew it was that association that would gain minimate fans support. They might not have been driving, but they were definitely inside Diggers getaway car whether they were aware of his ultimate plans to ignore us or not. Guilt by association. The main thing though is that we here at MMMV have our fingers pointed squarely at Digger. Honestly, I think DST allowed Digger to use the brand when they never would have allowed anyone else under similar circumstances due to their relationship. Goth Girl, Ace of Cakes, etc, would never have been permitted to do this without payment up front. DST is actually partly responsible for not holding Digger to the same standards of due diligence.

My impression is not that DST hoped to gain much by this project at all. Instead, it just feels that they were trying to help out an old friend who was obviously essential in helping to get these figures off the ground in the first place. From that point of view, I don't know that I would use the analogy of DST being in Digger's getaway car. In terms of DST not holding Digger to certain standards, anyone investing on Kickstarter should understand that it is the responsibility of the individual or group they are investing in to do what they say they are going to do with the funds they are supplied with. I can't find fault with DST for agreeing to do something with $X of funds, but then not following through when the funds never arrive to them. DST never promised that this would happen that I've seen, Digger did.

Edited by karamazov80

I personally place no fault with DST at all, DST was doing a favor for someone who used to be part of the company and then Digger using his former association with the company took advantage of us to get us to donate to his project. Can't blame DST for not making product they had not been paid for yet or had not gotten the designs for. I can understand why the guys at DST feel some responsibility for this ordeal, but only because I too would feel bad if people were promised something that was going to be made by my company and almost two years later they still have not been made. Yes they did allow Digger to use the Minimates brand to promote his project, but it was Digger's responsibility to follow through with the promises he made and that is something he has obviously not done. I can't wait for this to all be done with and that those who spent thousands of dollars get what they paid for so we can all wipe our hands clean of Digger completely and forget he ever had anything to do with the toy line we all love so much. His reputation(not that it was ever all that great to begin with) and his legacy as one of the creators of Minimates is tarnished beyond repair and the sooner we can forget he ever existed the better.

Edit - I also want to thank Luke for keeping us up to date on the progress of the 'mates, something Digger has been unwilling to do because Digger doesn't have the balls to face the people he has conned and ripped off.

Edited by Santos L Halper

Digger might have created minimates, but Chuck, Zach, Uriel , Barry etc... actually MADE them. In all senses of the word.

I think that everyone here knows how much work the DST crew put into the line, and how much they do to keep this rowdy little community happy. They gives us clues, sneak peaks, and even chances to vote on what minimates get produced!

I don't think anyone here thinks that DST are responsible for, or are dragging their feet, on this issue.

Edited by Nessex

I can understand their feeling some responsibility for this. DST is MOST CERTAINLY not at fault, but at the end of the day Minimates is their property, and they agreed to be a part of this fiasco. I'm glad they aren't just saying "eh, it's not our problem". I don't think there is anything they can do, other then to try and apply pressure to Digger, but even that is a lot in my eyes. Good people there at DST.

I'm sure more will come. This consumer protection lawsuit can serve as a model for suits in other states. Anyone who has been ripped off by a Kickstarter campaign should contact their State Attorney General's office.

In the near term, this will look bad for KickStarter as more fraudulent activity will be publicly exposed. But it may help KickStarter if more of these consumer protection lawsuits weed out frauds and motivate KickStarter campaigns to actually deliver on agreed upon terms. If KickStarter cannot get a handle on the frauds, I don't think it will survive very long.

I think you are doing KickStarter (and crowd source funding in general) a favor if you pursue follow up action against KickStarter campaigns that do not deliver upon on their agreed upon terms. It seems like any campaign that takes in over $25,000 in funding will be potential targets of investigation by the states. Sometimes a notice from an Attorney General's office of an investigation provides the necessary incentive and motivation for companies to resolve issues.

In my own attempt at humor I posted a kickstarter slam on a comment about digger. Digger in respons last night posted his number on my Facebook wall and challenged me to call or email him. Kind of bizarre, but if anyone here wants to call him to discuss your investment...see my Facebook wall.

I would approach emailing or calling him directly with caution. I would also probabaly avoid handing his number out publically - he's been a bit of a douche with the lack of communitication and a lot of backers are understandably upset with him, but i'd hate to see vigilante justice via prank or abusive phone calls become en vouge. I can't imagine it a) making him more accountable, b ) encouraging communication with the backers, or c) prompting him to get the rewards out any faster.

I would, however, have no problem with sending him a rather calm, rational email about how his delay of rewards, lackluster communication and general abandoment of the 'fans' has created a great amount of disharmony in the community and that he has probably burnt a few bridges as far as future crowd-funding goes.

I'm not saying 'Leave Digger Alone', i'm just saying let's keep the MMMV looking like the decent chaps we are, are not resort loosing our credibility to someone who has none of their own.

Edited by Nessex

I think you made the right choice. Apologies if it seemed like i was accusing you of otherwise. I was mostly just trying to get ahead of the angry hordes that i imagine are out for Diggers blood. LOL

I was mostly just trying to get ahead of the angry hordes that i imagine are out for Diggers blood. LOL

Apparently as legend has it, that... "If you drink Diggers blood it you'll become immortal"...

It was either that or "you'll get cooties!"

- I can't actually remember!

T.