UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AGENT 88 KICKSTARTER MINIMATES

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am honestly curious why so many people are biting their tongues on this subject, when normally the opinions flow fairly freely on all matters otherwise. I know the price factor may come across as an issue but since it is a fundraiser is it not typically more costly...I mean I know many people that will buy a $3 chocolate bar since some kid is selling them door to door for a good cause, yet the corner store has the same or better for cheaper. I mean this is a fundraiser afterall and not a mass marketed series of toys backed by some giant company with all sorts of funding...while these won't appeal to everyone you have to admire the idea of this fundraiser and the incentives behind it.

Jeff of the Miniacs

I suppose my holding back isn't so much on the project itself (though I'm just not sure how I feel about what he's doing), but more on holding my tongue on my thoughts on Digger. I respect the fact that he's one of the grandfathers of Minimates and don't want to speak ill of him. Kind of like how your real grandfathers can show qualities that no one would really agree with, but everyone still shows a measure of respect because of who he is. If Digger can pull off this project, then more power to him.

Edited by groundhog7s

Ok Jeff, I'll take the bait. ;)

Look, I don't know Digger, I wasn't on the forums in the early days, but I've been a longtime Minimate supporter since Marvel series 1.

The prices ARE an issue, especially for an unproven property, but that is the gamble isn't it? For an unproven product, take some initiative to prove to us why we should believe your property deserves our money and why we want Minimates of your characters.

The Minimate portion of the rewards in this Kickstarter are pretty high profile, 10 unique Minimates, with the possibility of getting a unique one-of-a-kind Minimate produced. Would it have killed Digger, or someone representing him or his idea, to come to the single largest gathering of Minimate enthusiasts to on the internet promote the opportunity? A simple post alerting collectors and enthusiasts would have gone a long way to making this a cooler event.

To a certain extent, Digger wants fans of Minimates to support this project, but he doesn't want to do a little shameless self-promotion. He knows we're here, right?

My comments aren't a reflection on DST or any of its current staff. I applaud them for being involved in a Kickstarter project, aand hope that other opportunities like this come up in the future.

The selection of Minimates in the Kickstarter is very strange. We don't know any of these characters, so why offer the 2-packs individually? That is why I picked the Digger one, as he is the only "character" that I would currently like to own as a Minimate. I am happy to support this project, but I feel that the Minimate rewards could have been much better organized.

to say this as nicely as possible:

You know how we have two Samuel L Jackson characters as minimates but neither works as plain everyday Sam Jackson? That’s what we got here.

Without his suit Peter Mayhew is not Chewbaccsa

Without CG Damion Poitier is not Thanos (and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was replaced by a bigger name actor when Thanos does stuff in a movie)

Carlos Gallardo can be a Mariachi quick custom, but as soon as Antonio Banderas minimate comes along he’s getting replaced (it’s like you the customizer is playing Robert Rodriguez!)

Joseph Gatt is probably an extra

so the mates only work for their characrers in Agent 88, but without seeing the full movie who knows if you care enough about them to pay $88/$256 for minimates.... it’s a real catch-22.

... is this the same project the two fat guy minimates were for? if not did that project ever happen? I’d’ve rather given money for those, though guys at least looked fun, these other characters are kinda bland.

To say it as unnicely as possible:

What is this? 2008? Is Digger from an alternate reality where Blu-Ray lost?

Why is “HD-DVD” version of the movie an incentive?! Who the f**k has an HD DVD player even except the 20 XBox360 owners who got tricked into buying one? I guess it is written as “HD DVD” and not “HD-DVD” so that the non-copyrighted way to say “Blu-Ray disc” or is it literally coming on a 4 year dead format?

The 10th. Anniversary podcast really needs to be listened to first to grasp where I am coming from . I perhaps read (listened) too much into what was being said by Digger but the responses from his fellow-broadcasters were ...IMO....very telling.

I'm a soft touch for any new Minimate so bring 'em on I'll buy them but I am totally disinterested in the theme,the characters or their promotion ......& for that matter who's promoting them & for whatever fund they are raising.

Self-deprecating/self-satirising Minimates like Chef Duff worked .....I just keep trying to avoid the word 'egocentric' with these.

So there you have it.

for me he can be egocentric just if you are going to make minimates make the characters interesting. I mean slap an ak47 in may Parker's hand and she could fill in for theirs character.

2 dudes in suits and 2 old ladies ? there is a reason godfather mates never hit the pegs and that was a GREAT movie.

these are NOT (for me) incentives in the least.

I don't understand how critical people are of a project that they've seen no footage for. The concept is interesting enough that I'll reserve judgement but I would rent it if I saw the box art and/or read a synopsis. It's finished filming, they had some interesting people involved, and because it's Digger's project he's included Minimates as part of the incentives to invest. I went for the 'Minimates 8 for 88' but I want to know which 2 are missing from that so I can get all 10...although without some serious promotion I doubt they'll reach their goal.

I went for the 'Minimates 8 for 88' but I want to know which 2 are missing from that so I can get all 10...

Precisely why I haven't ordered anything yet !

edit:...... so now I'm researching the concept....

According to Agent 88 (Twitter) .....'Agent 88 is the world's deadliest assassin. An 88 year old woman with Alzheimers '

I forget why that would be funny?

Edited by buttheadsmate

Wow - I wish him the best of luck with this as I like Digger a lot, he's always been kind and honest when I've talked to him and I guess it's a good a way as any to fund his movie but...

He's relying on people buying into the hard to find completist thing to help fund this and is maybe over estimating how much people will pay for minimates from a license that we've not actually seen or care about yet. The only things that are interesting to me are the Digger minimate and if I had $$$ to burn the digger designed minimate of 'you'.

It'll be interesting to see if he makes the kickstarter limit set.

T.

A fundraiser for movie backing and a fundraiser for a school or charity are not the same thing. I'll pay $3 for a chocolate bar if half is going to fund a school trip, but I'm not funding a movie unless I see a return. Its called investing, not fundraising. The chocolate bar analogy is moot.

However, I think Digger is a creative guy and has done well for himself as both an actor and a creator. I really hope his film does well. I am also glad he still carries the flag for minimates.

That said, I do not understand the story, the characters, or the relevance of a Digger minmate (unless its his character in the movie). Is the film already made? Getting made? Why is Chewbacca in it? Pissing minimate fans off by developing figures they have little or no chance of aquiring?!

Yeah, I know what you refer to BHM. The bling already has me a little miffed. I sorta specialize in collecting promos and this is one that may be hard to come by. I'll spill it. Apparently there is a gold Vorin to be given away at the Agent 88 soire...

As long as it isn't a numbered edition like the Spideys, I can't imagine these being produced in fewer numbers than the other promos. They may only have X number to give away at the con, but only if it is a numbered edition will they be super hard to come by. I may eat those words, time will tell.