UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Tragedy in Colorado at Midnight showing of The Dark Knight

I know the media is focusing on the shooter and it makes sense because the world wants to know "Why?". But from what I've read, there is nothing special about the shooter. He is a fucking loser dooshbag that committed an act of extreme cowardice and depravity for self centered and selfish reasons. He appears to have wanted to get revenge on the world for his own failings and be immortalized with infamy. Fuck him.

The victims are the people who are special. As the stories emerge, there are clearly some amazing people we lost among them. My heart goes out to these people and I hope the survivors can triumph over the evil that violated their lives Thursday night. The world is a lesser place without them.

If anyone is interested, I posted my thoughts on the shooting, and gun violence in general, on my blog:

http://dinosaursinf14s.blogspot.com/2012/07/on-guns-and-violence.html

Fair warning: I'm for stricter gun laws. I welcome any and all rational disagreements, but please, don't read and respond if you don't plan to be civil.

One of our local theatres decided to turn away anyone wearing a costume because this prick dyed his hair orange and said he was the Joker.

I guess the logic is that it will be easier to spot these lunatics if they look just like everyone else.

<_<

Can't wait to see what other backwards-ass solutions come of this.

Here are some thoughts of mine. Civility is an illusion. People are nice because everyone else is. Sometimes individuals break free of that illusion, the rules and mannerisms that rule our human lives world over. I'm REALLY not sure this is a case for stricter gun control. Even when guns were all loosey goosey things like this didn't happen. There was a time when every man woman and child in almost every country owned a gun, and no one went on a murdering spree. Even if we went back to that, it wouldn't fix the problem. Guns aren't the issue.

The world is loosing it's ever lovin' mind. As acts of violence escalate, both here and world wide, people are just getting weirder and deadlier. Causeway Cannibal? Norway gunner? The guy who just strangled his five kids? This dude? Maybe it's tectonic plates. Maybe it's mass psychosis. I never put much stock into it, but maybe its solar flared 2012 crap. I don't know.

But we haven't seen the last of it.

This was truly horrible; 12 good people died, including a 6-year old girl, and 59 other decent humans injured, including a 3-month old baby, just because they wanted to see one of the first showings of a popular movie. An intelligent student named James Holmes spent months preparing for this atrocity for no apparently sane reason. He ruined many lives, and may have forever ended any chance of a successful run for this last Batman trilogy film, by linking its start to the end of innocent people. I feel Holmes must have a proper investigation and a fair trial, so that the victims can receive true justice, when Holmes receives the most appropriate resolution to his actions allowed by the law. (I would personally prefer to see that he face a firing squad, so that he experiences what his victims went through, but justice MUST prevail)

The only good in this horror was the courage and decency shown by everyone else involved, who acted heroically/kindly to help/honor those who were harmed, or to express their sorrow for the victims. Police, firefighters, ambulances, hospitals, theater staff, and moviegoers all acted amazingly to help those victimized by Mr. Holmes. As these events occurred, many decent, caring people expressed their support for the victims and for those who are helping them.

For once, the politicians are not using this tragedy for their own gain, out of respect for those affected, and for Holmes distraught family. Presidential candidates Obama and Romney have gone so far as to cease their negative attack ads, as a show of respect.

Warner Brothers, as well as the film's cast and crew, have expressed their sorrow, and have acted to show their respect by canceling many of the promotional activities typical of a major motion picture debut process. I would like to see the studio do something to show their support, such as a special screening for the victims and/or rescuers.

Please support these victims and/or their rescuers/helpers any way you are able to, even just thinking kind thoughts will help.

I had not planned on seeing the film, but I will now, so that James Holmes loses his expected ruination of a decent film that he used as an excuse to do his evil. I would also buy any Minimates based on the film. After all, Warner Brothers is as innocent of wrongdoing as the individuals James Holmes brought harm towards.

I pray that those who died will get to enjoy the film in their afterlife that they were denied here.

Sincerely and Respectfully.

Amil Vazquez Jr.,

Orlando, Florida, USA