UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Tragedy in Colorado at Midnight showing of The Dark Knight

My first job was at a cinema. For a decade I worked from a concessionist to projectionist to manager at 3 locations for 5 companies (Hoyts, Regal, Crown, Bowtie and Lowes). I'm shocked. And the part of me that is for stricter gun control is outraged. Going to the cinema with your friends, family, classmates, or by yourself should be a place of safety and escape.

I'm waiting for this thing to be politicized by both sides. The fact of the matter is that events like this cannot be predicted. You can't protect innocent people from every random nutjob who intends to do harm. My point being I don't want to be patted down or have to go through a security screening to see Finding Nemo 2 because one asshole decided to be a coward and shoot up a theatre packed with easy targets.

I don't know what the guy's agenda is (and some of the theories I've heard so far make me even sicker) but I'm done giving up my civil liberties because of terrorism.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the families and friends of the victims. I hope they see justice.

I'm glad that they got the guy before he off'd himself unlike the other shooters around the nation. At least everyone involved will get justice.

What an awful thing, I feel terrible for everyone involved.

And for a moment of being selfish, I hate the fact that this event will cling to this film forever.

I personally don't really care about the movie or how it is impacted by this. Seems completely insignificant when something like this goes down. But I agree with PL's sentiment. The typical reaction to something like this is overreaction, and misplaced overreaction at that. Our country needs to devote more attention and resources to identifying and treating mental illness. Surely people around this guy knew he had issues, but they were never appropriately addressed or treated because of the stigma attached, or not knowing how to address the problem, and ultimately he "snapped."

That is just awful.

I'm waiting for this thing to be politicized by both sides. The fact of the matter is that events like this cannot be predicted. You can't protect innocent people from every random nutjob who intends to do harm. My point being I don't want to be patted down or have to go through a security screening to see Finding Nemo 2 because one asshole decided to be a coward and shoot up a theatre packed with easy targets.

I don't know what the guy's agenda is (and some of the theories I've heard so far make me even sicker) but I'm done giving up my civil liberties because of terrorism.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the families and friends of the victims. I hope they see justice.

You know it's coming though. It won't be 48 hours before the scumbag politicians latch onto this. Especially the 'possible assault rifle'. Like Jean Reno said, this is America. You can buy whatever you want here. More laws don't mean less guns, they just mean more laws. And the ugly horrible truth of the matter is both sides will latch onto this and use it was a rallying point, leaving the dead forgotten.

Oh man, those poor guys didn't get to see how the movie ended. :(

The screening for weapons is a knee jerk reaction. Honestly, I don't think the theatre corporations are interested in something like that as they don't make people feel safe, and will negatively effect the movie going business. Not to mention the costs involved; going to the movies is still one of the cheapest forms of public entertainment, purchasing/renting and staffing screening for the cinema would be uneconomical.

events like this cannot be predicted, but limiting who has access to guns can make it less easy for a nutjob from hurting people and terrorizing his countrymen.

This is just crazy to think about. I believe I heard of a bunch of snakes being let loose at a showing of snakes on a plane; but this is just psychotic. Makes me wonder what made him do this. My prayers go out to the victims of this attack.

Is it a coincidence that almost a year ago to the day that Norwegian piece of shit shot all those kids ? No way.

Until these bits of scum are properly dealt with then this killing of innocents will continue . The Norwegian nutjob needed putting down & so does this piece of vermin .

I cannot imagine what these victims went through. I'm at a loss for words to describe how awful this is.

Last night I watched a new episode of "Through The Wormhole" with Morgan Freeman called "Can We Eliminate Evil?" The episode touches on the current research about the brain in neuroscience and mass murderers. It noted that the University of Texas shooter from that massacre was found with a walnut sized tumor in his brain after his autopsy. He even apparently knew that something was wrong with himself because his suicide note asked for an autopsy of his brain.

This is all so bizarre for many reasons. This alleged gunman was a PhD student studying neuroscience, meaning he would have been aware of this fact and would also have access to current research about the brain. Some have suggested he was delusional as some reports say he had died his hair red and told police upon capture that he was the Joker. Other reports note the other Batman parallels: Batman's parents killed at the theatre, the Monarch Theatre setting in Arkum City video game, the joker killing the audience with gas in Miller's "Dark Knight". Just so fucked up.

Horrible situation that scares the hell out of me as a parent. I am wondering what a 3 month old was doing in a movie theater playing this film, but don't even kid that I am trying to shift blame.

You are all right that this is going to be eaten up by the political machines. Just try to leave the politics off this board.

This is just completely horrible. My thoughts are with all those involved and affected. Hopefully all will be vigilant during the coming days. I hate to say it, but the thought of a copycat doesn't seem that far out there.

Very sad news indeed.

I have to admit, when news of this first made it across the pond, reports were very sketchy, and I remember saying it sounded like some sort of really poor taste viral marketing or publicity stunt (I had no idea where the reports had come from, and neither did the daytime tv folk... it just felt suspicious).

Only saw the online reports later, haven't been able to stop thinking about the incident and the poor victims all day. Feels like another world.

This is one of those tragedies that really hits home, since this could have been any of us, that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I know it's going to be very hard for me to sit through the movie now.

And, without getting too political, I just want to say that it's so frustrating that we continue to have these targeted atrocities occur without any concrete steps being taken to prevent them from happening. I'm not saying I know what those steps should be (and, sure, I have ideas...) but the fact that there's not even a discussion is terrible.

I can not imagine what was going through the mind of the gunman. it seems unfathomable that this plan could have been thought of, prepared for and finally followed through. I just genuinely do not understand how it can go that far.

My thoughts are with those hurt & their families.

events like this cannot be predicted, but limiting who has access to guns can make it less easy for a nutjob from hurting people and terrorizing his countrymen.

THIS!