UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2012-Discussion Thread

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the DC Collectibles panel Q&A:

"Will we ever see DC Minimates. No plans right now but you never know. They have ones made that were never released. They may show some pictures of those at some point online to see how much interest in them there might be."

Via toynewsi

That's where the dying ember of hope got stoked gambitron.

Nervous will be happy with the Thundercats pics. I hope he sees that 12" version of his wife that Sideshow is doing, also. :thumbsup:

I am very happy, and yes, I showed me wife the baroness too! Nice

Wait, you wife looks like the Baroness? Lucky devil.

I hope the "sneak peek" of minimates like on the Alpha Flight set continues. I like the anticipation of knowing when teams or sets will be completed. As far as the DC prototypes, I don't even want to know what they didn't make..... It'll just piss me off even more. :nono:

Holy Heck! The Pony fandom is going nuts. IDW just announced MLP:FiM the ongoing series, and people are already planing on having issue 1 be the best selling comic book of all time. Like, Watchmen level. big. They'll do it too. These guys are nuts. The entire convention supply of Zecore is already gone and it's only Thursday, and Derpy sold out in just minutes. The TF guys are wondering when the 'big announcement' from IDW was coming, because it was top Hasbro franchise related, so that must mean TFs, right? The off-pony-site coverage on SDCC is hilarious as people try to figure out why a gray pony with derpy eyes is causing such a ruckus.

SDCC this year is apparently one big pony party, and the panel isn't till tomorrow. XD

About the dc thing.I think this time they were slightly more optimistic.And the fact that they are willing to show us unproduced figures is a plus.Maybe they want dc mates to return but they fear they won't make a profit.Though minimates are doing very well now.And with the walking dead we are one step closer to having minimates in the uk again.Wouldn't it be nice if dc had a poll asking you to vote whether you wanted dc mates to return or not?I would certainly vote 5 times at least.It would be for a good cause.

I have two questions.

Is there a close up picture of the new thundercats? I only see the villains up close.

Who is the SF-Tekken guy with the beret? I've been waiting for an official one forever, as well as a Jeff cap. His straps/ collar is pretty sweet too!

Thanks for the help

Rolento. He's a villain from Final Fight whom became a fan favourite after his appearance in Street Fighter Alpha.

Yes, I know I'll sound stupid for saying this, but I think for once DC might actually be reconsidering Minimates. If you look at how they're venturing into 3 3/4 scale figures and are determining their plans on how to release based on fan reaction and not just diving into an idea without testing the waters, it might be a sign that DCC is trying to do things differently. If they're trying to see what fans want instead of just producing what they want, I suppose Minimates might actually have a chance.

Yes, I know I'll sound stupid for saying this, but I think for once DC might actually be reconsidering Minimates. If you look at how they're venturing into 3 3/4 scale figures and are determining their plans on how to release based on fan reaction and not just diving into an idea without testing the waters, it might be a sign that DCC is trying to do things differently. If they're trying to see what fans want instead of just producing what they want, I suppose Minimates might actually have a chance.

That's what I'm thinking. If you look at what they are doing lately it only makes sense. They are trying to copy marvel but in the good way. They saw that a shared universe is better than standalone films so they are trying to achieve that with the jl movie. They rebooted their comics to make them more appealing. Nowadays Marvel is counting only on events. Each summer we have a different groundbreaking event. They kill a hero or two and then they bring them back two months later. With the announcement of the 3 3/4 line I'm pretty positive about the minimates' return. From this answer : <<I'm afraid minimates are not something we are considering>> to this: << never say never,we have some unproduced mates and we'll show them to you. We will judge from the people's reaction if it's worth bringing them back.(kinda)>> Wouldn't it be nice of they were relaunched next year in SDCC with a four pack consisting of bats,supes,darkseid and mr toxic?

Edited by Kostisfire

I'm glad you asked. I hope we annoy the hell outta them.

I support this kind of thinking.

My biggest fear if DC Minimates comes back will be that DC will push the "New 52" looks for characters, high collars and all. And that older characters, like the 90's Superboy or classic Martian Manhunter, wouldn't be made. And that's what I want from DC Minimates, not another Batman with speed lines on his costume.

One more thing - mad props to Zach and the rest of the Diamond crew for making some cool backgrounds and diaramas for the Minimate displays this year. It adds a lot more visual interest than the usual clear plastic stands.

Re: ponies. Yeah, I'm completely boggled. My wife has been getting the exclusive mlp every year for the past five or six years, and we've never had trouble obtaining it. She's kind of annoyed that she's now competing with a bunch of 20-year-old guys to get her hands on this one (and is probably going to lose).

I agree with Boyd. If DC minimates come back you can bet they will be 90%-100% DCnU designs. Almost all DC Direct products are DCnU and even Mattel has been made to go down the DCnU path.

I've been begging for DC minimates to return for years but DCnU has killed my interest.

I'm glad you asked. I hope we annoy the hell outta them.

I support this kind of thinking.

My biggest fear if DC Minimates comes back will be that DC will push the "New 52" looks for characters, high collars and all. And that older characters, like the 90's Superboy or classic Martian Manhunter, wouldn't be made. And that's what I want from DC Minimates, not another Batman with speed lines on his costume.

One more thing - mad props to Zach and the rest of the Diamond crew for making some cool backgrounds and diaramas for the Minimate displays this year. It adds a lot more visual interest than the usual clear plastic stands.

I agree with Boyd. If DC minimates come back you can bet they will be 90%-100% DCnU designs. Almost all DC Direct products are DCnU and even Mattel has been made to go down the DCnU path.

I've been begging for DC minimates to return for years but DCnU has killed my interest.

Pretty much, yeah. My best friend is a HUGE DC fanboy, and he loves 52, and always argues that it's better. I hate it. I can't stand reboots and retcons, and this was the worst of them all. I want Stephanie Brown Batgirl. What's that? She doesn't exist? Screw you DCnU!

Re: ponies. Yeah, I'm completely boggled. My wife has been getting the exclusive mlp every year for the past five or six years, and we've never had trouble obtaining it. She's kind of annoyed that she's now competing with a bunch of 20-year-old guys to get her hands on this one (and is probably going to lose).

Blame Hasbro. They triples their production numbers this year and it still sold out. If they hadn't made the show so good, she (and I) wouldn't be in this situation.

Actually i like the new 52.I haven't picked up any comics for the last 5 years since i can't find any.But yesterday i found detective comics 10.I liked it so i'll be picking some more new 52 titles.I'm getting tired of marvel nowadays.It's event after event and every book gets cancelled after 20 issues.I'm shifting my interest to dc now.IF dc mates come back i will continue buying the marvel mates though.It's just the stories that drift me away,i still love the characters.AA has so many licences now that dc will try jump in the wagon.It's not sure but at least we know that they are thinking about it again.These news made my day to be honest.

Sigh. If we're going down this road....

I do believe that DC Minimates will happen again, someday, because DST and DC are both very different then they were way back when. TRU has changed the game for Minimates, and raised their profile considerably. On the other hand, DC's much more willing to license their characters out, rather then keeping everything in house with DC Direct. It's only a matter of time before every body at DST and DC/WB realize this, right? RIght? :wallbash:

I just don't see DC Minimates working. It's been tried so many times and failed repeatedly.

I know the natural reaction is to compare DC to Marvel but let's face it; DC simply doesn't have as many viable characters as Marvel. DC has ONE money-maker; Batman. Everyone else – including their "man of steel" – is a dud. WB can't get another successful franchise off the ground. The last Justice League film project was axed days before it started filming. The Wonder Woman TV pilot was turned down by NBC. A concept for a live-action Batman spin-off, "The Graysons," was (thankfully) discarded before it even made it into production. The vast majority of WB's DC projects languish in development hell for years if not decades and the few that make it out end up being unrecognizable bastardizations. (Yes, that was a Catwoman reference.)

On the other hand, Marvel managed to make even some of their second-tier characters household names and they're not stopping. An Ant-Man film is in the works, a Guardians of the Galaxy feature is on the slate, and even Squirrel Girl is getting face time with the mass market. Marvel is left by Disney to do what it does best while DC is practically sabotaged by its parent company, WB, at every turn.

DC Entertainment might have its act together when it comes to animation but Mattel cancelled its Young Justice toy line because retailers just aren't interested. And if you can't promote a toy line with a critically acclaimed, high-rated cartoon, you're screwed.

One problem is that DC characters are gods and consumers don't identify with gods. They identify with teen angst. They identify with people with problems, whether it's peer pressure or alcoholism or dysfunctional families and Marvel excels at offering that. Marvel exists in the real world – New York and Los Angeles – while DC is a fairytale with places like Metropolis, Gotham City, and Blüdhaven.

And then there are the capes. The DC Universe is loaded with cape-wearing characters, far more than Marvel. Costume practicality aside, capes have always been a chore to translate into toys. Do you go with cloth or sculpted plastic? Do you want it flexible enough for the character to actually sit down or does it only need to look good in the standard "waiting for a bus" pose?

Finally, which character has a cooler name; Rocket Raccoon or Ace the Bat-Hound?

No, I really don't see DC Minimates working. At all. Ever.

Man, what is up with the lack of new Marvel 'mates on display? Wave 48 is cool, and the preview picture of the next Alpha Flight set, but that's it for new Marvel on display? Hopefully we get to see some more unrevealed stuff before the show ends.

Zach has been noticably absent...but that may be due to other non-SDCC events. Hope all is well. :)