UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2012-Discussion Thread

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also,the fact that preorders have skyrocketed may lead to more image properties being made into minimates.

Just curious, where are you getting that information?

From Chuck:

-Walking Dead specialty preorders easily blow away recent Marvel specialty preorders.

-Will have direct market waves as well as TRU waves (similar to Marvel where TRU gets repacks and exclusives)

-Some retailer in the UK ordered enough Walking Dead sets that they will be able to carry them in the UK (they don't get minimates directly from Diamond anymore, I think? I forgot what the deal was).

It's over in the walking dead thread.

So excited for all of them.

Love the 4 pack model for the T-Cats.

However Battle Beasts look better than I ever imagined.

Also love the new "fat guy" mold on the tekken figure.

I hope the Walking Dead success means we get some Invincible minimates asap.

Walking dead look great, as do the ThunderCats! - surprised they're not showing more marvel though.

Battle beasts are not doing it for me, I really don't see them as minimates at all. IMO they should just dump the minimate aspect and make them into small action figures, that way kids can play with them without the usual worry of minimates falling apart?

Interesting to see where DST are going with these lines and a big thanks to Storm 1:08 for getting us clearer pix.

T.

IMG_0551.JPG

Anyone else thinks it looks like Marinna's doing a little dance there?

Some quick thoughts:

-FF wave! I was also doubtful, but these look great. My guess is that mullet Sue will be the variant. Does this mean we'll be seeing theme waves going forward?

-I wouldn't expect too much more revealed beyond these; DST doesn't usually do the "reveal things at the panel, then put the protos out" deal Mattel and Hasbro do. So I suspect we'll learn the winners for wave 50, but that's about it.

-Thundercats! Wow! Easily the line of the year.

-That bear guy is totally going to be Ursa Major in my collection.

-They are going a little nuts with the Battle Beasts, aren't they?

Thanks, guys, for posting pics and links. I'm digging the Thundercats a lot more than I thought would and the Battlebeasts a lot less. The BBs look... ok, but with SO much sculpting and So many add-ons, what's the point in making them Minimates and not just little sculpted figures?

All of the Marvel stuff looks great. Wonderful. Protector especially.

Wow, thanks for all the great pics guys. Really wish I was there! The Battle Beasts look amazing to me. Merk and Gruntos look absolutely fantastic. The three main characters have really translated well from the comic book to minimate form. I absolutely love the snake! I can't wait to get him so that he can join my snake army. I will have to get multiples of this guy. And the scorpion looks great as well. The only one I am so so on is the spider. He looks a little off to me, but that most likely will change once I have him in hand.

Thundercats, man, just wow. For me, I am just blending them in with the battle beasts minimates as one solid continuity. So I have two new lines to really really be excited about. They really nailed this line. The villain four pack looks incredible. I still need to try and get my hands on the SDCC 4 pack. And Tygra also is really well done. Now all we need is a Mumm-Ra the Everliving, and the line will be perfect.

The marvel and tekken vs street fighter stuff all looks really good as well. I love the figure of Kuma from TvsSF. That figure will fit great with the Battle Beasts/Thundercats. He just needs a bit of armor sculpted on top of him. To me, he looks like he would work well as the Bear BB from Issue 1 of the comic, if they don't make a minimate of that bear.

I can see how the Battle Beasts may put off some of the minimates collectors. The line is veering away from the stylistic look of minimates a bit. But I for one am glad that they are still using the base minimate body. I am obviously more of a battle beast collector first, minimate collector second, so I am really looking forward to the customizability of the battle beasts, and how I can take parts from the BBs and put them with armor and bits from other minimates to make new characters. I really love that aspect. I have been making custom Battle Beasts for 15+ years, and this sounds like a heck of a lot easier than hacking away and solid chunks of plastic with an exacto blade to be able to make those new characters.

Edited by delta chameleon

Minimates have a pretty great showing this year, but honestly I'm looking forward to what LEGO brings out. More LOTR/Hobbit stuff and more DC Super Heroes. I wasn't too impressed with the overall look of the Marvel sets, but I love DC LEGOs so... I'm stoked for that.

However from what we've seen so far... LOVE the new Mr. Fantastic. Love the Thundercats (Seriously dude. Holy crap. That line is astounding). And seriously how great is this booth? http://www.superherohype.com/gallery/comic-con/comic-con-2012/143493-comic-con-2012#joomimg

The greatest. That's how great it is.

I can see how the Battle Beasts may put off some of the minimates collectors. The line is veering away from the stylistic look of minimates a bit. But I for one am glad that they are still using the base minimate body. I am obviously more of a battle beast collector first, minimate collector second, so I am really looking forward to the customizability of the battle beasts, and how I can take parts from the BBs and put them with armor and bits from other minimates to make new characters. I really love that aspect. I have been making custom Battle Beasts for 15+ years, and this sounds like a heck of a lot easier than hacking away and solid chunks of plastic with an exacto blade to be able to make those new characters.

It's good to hear these sorts of comments, as long time minimate collectors I think we have pretty definitive views of what we think of a minimate being & forget that the new super sculpted look of these is what some people actually want.

T.

It's good to hear these sorts of comments, as long time minimate collectors I think we have pretty definitive views of what we think of a minimate being & forget that the new super sculpted look of these is what some people actually want.

T.

I am actually enjoying the move to highly sculpted pieces with Battle Beast Minimates. To me it opens the door to properties that couldn't otherwise exist in Minimates form. Simpsons comes to mind.

Loving the Fantastic Four 'Mates, new Thundercats, and Alpha Flight guys. I find myself less and less interested in the zombies and Battle Beasts, but they just don't fit my notion of what makes for appealing Minimates (as delta points out, there are others that are drawn to that sort of thing though, and so I'm glad DST is appealing to those folks). Don't see much of interest to me in the SF Tekken series 2 (looks like too many SF 4 characters for my liking) though I love the series 1 prototypes. Will get Rolento, though.

The one thing I'm not thrilled with is Outback Wolverine. Something about that figure isn't doing it for me. I've got high standards, since this is very possibly my favorite Marvel character and look, and I don't feel he's been done justice yet with a Minimate, but something about the color scheme, or the mask, or something isn't wowing me. I'll hold hope that this is still a prototype and not the final version.

Edited by karamazov80

The one thing I'm not thrilled with is Outback Wolverine. Something about that figure isn't doing it for me.

I think it's the orange in his costume. It's not quite right - needs less yellow to be a little darker. He kinda reminds me of the old Kenner Secret Wars figure.

Or the colors could be washed out in the photo. (not a comment on storm's picture-taking skills. These are lovely shots. Please keep giving us news. Please.)

Edited by boyd

Yeah, that's a great analogy with the Secret Wars figure color scheme.

5pda6.jpg

VEM8b.jpg

While the comic version did have a more washed out color scheme for the orange/beige.

LMn62.jpg

SUTcw.jpg

hHnam.jpg

Though I think the brown on the variant is too brown (I think the maroonish color looks great on the regular Wolvie here), if the production version looks like this I'm thinking I might switch the regular head over to that Brood Wolvie body and to repaint the yellow on the head to better match the more washed out tones of that figure.

Edited by karamazov80