UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Arkham Origins – Arkham Asylum prequel

MisterPL

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that trailer is absolutely stunning, utilizes a younger less ready batman well, and playing as deathstroke that must be awesome.

My only concern is how different this feels to the other arkham games, not just the costume but Batman's whole head looks different, only a minor niggle though.

Anarky is a surprising yet pleasant addition, i wonder how that'll work out.

Would I be right in saying that the new voice for Bats is the guy who did Ezio from Assassins Creed?

So is Montreal WB using the Arkham City coding and just building on it or this a scratch built game?

Because that’s the only thing keeping me from being super excited about this game. If anyone could make Arkham City from scratch, there’d be a lot more great Arkham City like games out there.

I mean I keep telling myself “hey, even a mediocre Arkham would still be pretty fun!” but then I remember thinking that about “Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion” (hey, it’s not gonna be as good as a REAL Smash Brothers, but I can play as Johnny Bravo, Hoss Delgado, and Captain Planet... that’s gotta be worth $10, right?! WRONG! It’s so mechanically shitty it’s unplayable... and I’ve avoiding playing “Thor: God of Thunder” because even though I think “a bad God of War were you are Thor might still be a little fun” but knowing God of War barely gets God of War right at times, I’m looking at you f**king temple of the oracle chase!, and how frustrating a slapped together knock off would be has kept me from plunking down $10 on that game...)

I mean... I’m still gonna buy it, but until I know EXACTLY how the mechanics of the game works I’m worried about it and I’m not getting my hopes too high.

I think they said they are building this game off of the same engine as Arkham City, with a few changes but overall the same mechanics (I cant find this source at the moment so dont quote me on this)

Yes Ezio is Batman, which I think will work for a younger Batman (even though Conroy is still more than capable, but hes busy on the next Arkham game)

Troy Baker will be taking over as Joker, who I doubt will have a huge part, since there are a lot of other voice actors I would have picked over Troy (assuming Hamil is staying retired from the role)

all all this is looking to be an awesome game that will work as a sort of "fun intermission" to the Arkham franchise

• 4 weeks later...

the gameplay looked amazing, it basically looks like Arkham City with close to next gen graphics. Also Roger Craig Smith and Troy Baker are doing great as Batman and Joker, respectively

Gameplay was great, Anarky looks fun, and the Azrael and West skins are great, but i don't have a PS3 so if they are truly exclusive, then screw you DC. Besides that i cannot wait for this. I'm a little cautious without Rocksteady and i'm REALLY getting sick of Joker, but the rest looks brilliant.

Joker isnt the main focus of this one, and I dont see him being more than a side deviation, something to show fans that this will not involve his origin as Red Hood.

also the skins and more upcoming origins content is exclusive to Sony so, PS3/PS4 which makes me happy, as I have a PS3 and will be getting a PS4 because who wants an X-Bone.

lastly Im really hoping the other 5 assassins are less bat-related. I realize this is still a bat-game but they said villains from the DCU. I'd understand KGBeast or Shiva but I wanna see some like really crazy assassins in there, lets get Sportsmaster, Lobo, even characters like Amazo, Bats has fought him before without the league.

Catman would also be great

• 4 months later...

So just as I feared this game is not using the same game play mechanics as Arkham City.

I’m trying for the “finish a fight without leaving focus mode” challenge and find I’m fighting against the game to do it, Batman will routinely turn and punch NOTHING when there’s one or two perfectly good thugs within striking distance, I will see a blue flash and hit counter only for him to counter the air because the thug was just slightly out of range, then there’s the time he DOES hit out of range thugs and leaping into the air with a twirling kick that covers 7 feet.

it’s still fun, but it’s obviously broken which mean I don’t play it feverishly like City, I pick it up, get to the next check point and call it a night.

The figures look pretty good. I'll probably end up with most of Wave 1 and Wave 2 is even better.

As far as the game mechanics go, they may have changed something but if they did most people aren't even going to notice. It's basically Arkham City with a new Batman skin, which I think is what people were hoping for.

I'm having no problems with the gameplay... feels the same as the last two. What it doesn't have, though, is quite the same atmosphere the others had. The second City the sounds and visuals drew you right in (even at the menu screen). Enjoying it very much thus far, 2 assassins and one 'most wanted' down.

Deathstroke was frustrating.

Deathstroke was fun, but i hope this isn't the last we see him. I'd rather run into him several times than Electrocutioner (that boss battle was hilariously surprising. Love it). I know Bruce is only in his second year, but his reasoning after Electrocutioner was painful to listen to.

I'm working on getting to Lacey Towers but i stopped to take on Anarky first. That was fun a side mission, but that bridge is gonna such a pain in the ass.

Loving the game overall; it's just a bigger Arkham City which is pretty much all it had to be.

So, getting further in the game, i must say, it is IMMENSELY irritating that (major spoiler):

This is 100% a third Joker game. Ridiculous.

I haven't really noticed much difference in the gameplay, but the plot is just eyeroll-worthy now. You can't boast a game full of C-list and D-list villains just to do that. Regardless, still enjoying the game overall. I'm amused by how much i haven't really missed Conroy. Sacrilege, i know, but Smith is doing a killer job.

Really not getting drawn in like the other games, I keep picking it up for 5-10mins and getting distracted by something else.

... changed my mind about the fighting as well, it has become an absolute nonsense. Also, the grapple is really irritating me, so many really simple places you can't get to quickly.

Yeah, I think I have to walk back my comments about fighting too. Once you get a little deeper into the game it gets pretty tough to do anything but counter and I can't say I'm enjoying it much. When combat becomes a chore it's a problem. Not to mention all the other little things they've done to make the game more difficult. If I wanted it to be harder I'd choose a higher difficulty.

At about 90% of the way through the plot I'm still fine with the story. Dini not being involved shows, but I think it's still pretty decent.

I'm getting used to the voice actors and I've been pretty impressed by the guy doing Joker, but it's pretty obvious they are imitating Conroy and Hamill rather than doing their own takes. I'm happy with that, but I can see why some might have hoped for something different.

So I’m ROYALLY pissed at this game... I’m only level 2 on the “Worst Nightmare” Challenges and have just fought Bane for the first time. So I thought I should start taking care of some of those task... I knocked out two guards on a roof top, got ‘unseen’ bonus, got the ‘silent knight’ trophy... DID NOT LEVEL UP! Looked it up on line, and turns out you can ONLY complete Predator challenges in rooms set up like challenge rooms, not at random encounters... AND some of them are area specific (you can only do the “all the different take downs” at the bank) so the game REALLY punishes people for messing up early on.

Needless to say I won’t be finishing those levels without starting a new game + (which I might just to play as Adam West... but I’m just as likely to finish the game and move on at this point)

• 2 months later...

So was this buggy for anyone else? This was the funkiest game I've ran across in a long time. I had fun and the story is very good, but the issues were distracting. I'm on free play at the moment. Seems like thugs appear and disappear or I have to restart from my last saved quite a bit. I do agree that the figures look great. I just have to save up my pennies to pick them up.

It's not just the fact that it seems buggy and the controls do not respond NEARLY as well as the other games in the series but... is it just me or is this one much MUCH harder than Arkham City? It just seems to me that playing on normal for this game is what City would have has as their hard mode. I dunno, might just be me losing my mind, but I'm not having nearly as much fun with this one because I just keep getting myself killed over and over and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It's incredibly frustrating.

No, you aren't losing your mind Trekker, I've had the same issues. But it also feels a bit uneven on that regard too. One minute you are having your ass handed to you and the next you are unstoppable. I'm in the free play and the goons are giving me more grief than the boss fights, Deathstroke included. Yeah, Rocksteady made the previous games Nessex and this is someone new. Don't get me wrong, it is a fun game and I'm enjoying the voice actors work. Both Batman and Joker sound like Conroy(and a little Bale) and Hamill. It definitely has a unfinished feel to it. I'm really hoping that the DLC's make up for it. Otherwise they've left a lot of unanswered questions.

Its like they couldn't even copy and paste the gameplay right.

it feels so off, and it ruins my flow, in a game dependant on such.

I mastered Asylum and City very well, just ask the hours I spent just enjoying the combat as the 4 heroes of City.

This game? Spent like 10 minutes doing challenges, gave up, stopped playing.

If i wasn't so determined to finish the damned thing I might actually not do it. But I really really want to see this one through to the end, frustrating or not. I mean damn I should've chosen easy mode... and honestly if I skip over the side missions I've done so far I'm not incredibly far into the game... maybe I should just start over.