UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

London?

Aapje

Hey guys I'm going to London in the weekend, but with Wimbledon just ending and the Olympics starting soon a lot will be expensive.

So do you guys know some cheap places to eat/drink?

Also LilGambit told me of some kind of comic heaven, which you must visit if you're in London.

Do you know where that is?

And what kind of places do you guys recommend and where are the Minimate hotspots?

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

London shouldnt be too bad, its a bit touristy at the moment what with wimbledon, jubilee and olympics but wasnt too bad lat time i went. I believe this comics heaven you talk of is forbidden planet, opposite a theatre that usually shows rock of ages (which i thoroughly enjoyed), lots of various figures and whatnot upstairs (I didnt find any minimates there though) and comics and books downstairs. Hope this helps

In terms of cheap food and drink, we have a company that runs a chain of pubs called Wetherspoons. Cheapest place to drink booze by a mile and the food is ok, not great but you get what you pay for. I have many times had their "beer and burger" deal, which is about £6 in the city. They're all over London.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs

Not sure if you have Nandos where you are, but they're good for chicken based food (some spicy stuff), and you get free refills on soft drinks there too which is unusual for the UK.

Again, there's loads of them in London:

http://www.nandos.co.uk/

As for comic stores, Forbidden Planet is probably the comic heaven you have heard about. Big shop, can be a bit pricey, but is fun to look around in....especially if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket :thumbsup:

GOSH! is another great store. Small though, so watch your head if you go in the basement.

PM me if you want more info, and let me know where you are staying and where you are heading to, so I can be more specific with good places to check out.

Edit: And forbidden planet is the only place i've seen mates in London. They don't stock many, or often, but if they have them they are in the far left corner on the ground floor as you walk through the front door. Last time they were under the Marvel Universe figures.

Edited by UK Collector

@Lobsterman: Sorry, man forgot about the spelling, thats how they write it in Holland :sweat:

@mini nuggget: I hope so, man but i bet it'll be fun

@UK Collector: Thanks, man you're VERY helpfull :D

As all Americans know England is in London .

And England is located in Canadia, right next to Ireland in Lake Superior. B)

I'm beginning to suspect that you guys may be pulling our collective leg...dry.gif

As all Americans know England is in London .

Forbidden Planet must be the place you're on about & they do sell a small selection of pricey Minimates .

Wetherspoon's :P Nuff said !

Have a great time Aapje & take a big wallet .

Omg, i'm gonna be really broke after the week i'm spending there :rolleyes:

But just to be clear:

Forbidden Planet is the best guess and one of the only places to buy Minimates??? :(

Edited by Aapje

Its the only place I know of, and they are very pricey indeed (I went there in the last few weeks, all they have arr Thor movie stuff, Shadowlands and X-Force box sets... I may have forgotten something). Still work going to, its near Shaftsbury Ave, I believe... 2mins from Piccadily Circus and Tottenham Court Road.

I'm a Londoner, born and bred. Do go to a Whetherspoon pub, have a burger and an ale. I'm knackered and off to bed, but will have a think and post some cool cheap options later tomorrow.

Its the only place I know of, and they are very pricey indeed (I went there in the last few weeks, all they have arr Thor movie stuff, Shadowlands and X-Force box sets... I may have forgotten something). Still work going to, its near Shaftsbury Ave, I believe... 2mins from Piccadily Circus and Tottenham Court Road.

I'm a Londoner, born and bred. Do go to a Whetherspoon pub, have a burger and an ale. I'm knackered and off to bed, but will have a think and post some cool cheap options later tomorrow.

Thanks, dude

That'd be really awesome

I'm leaving tomorrow morning :lol:

Wetherspoon's :P Nuff said !

Do go to a Whetherspoon pub, have a burger and an ale.

So we can assume that if the UK meetup ever happens, that it will happen in a Wetherspoons :biggrin: :thumbsup:

oh dear, I did used to work at a 'spoons... perhaps I should remember how to spell the name.

Right, a few quick ideas Aapje... sorry I'm late, I've been working non-stop, so hope you still have internet access over here.

You can easily blow a day or so taking in the main 'sites', going from Parliament Sq (with the Houses of Parliament), up along Whitehall (to see Downing Street?), Trafalgar Sq and Piccadily Circus...

... from Piccadily, you're only a 5 minute walk from either Oxford Street (which is long, and busy, and full of huge chain stores) or Leicester Sq (which in fact has a very decent Wetherspoon pub, 'The Moon Under Water'. I do recommend). There are also a lot of street vendors near Leicester Sq, that do large Chinese, Indian or Pizza portions for a decent price (these are, of course, our national dishes!)

...both of which lead to the Shaftesbury Ave (the Theatre district), which is where you will find Forbidden Planet. You're best of asking folks for directions to the Shaftesbury Theatre, as it is across the road. This is pretty much the only place you'll find minimates, I'm afraid, and it will all be old stuff.

As for cheap food, on a week day, Pizza Hut does an all you can eat buffet for about £6 (last time I went, anyway!), it really is great value... and they're everywhere up in town.

I do recommend the London Eye, have been up once and thought it was certainly worth the money. I realise you mention you're on a bit of a budget, and it will cost approx 40-60 euros a person. That's a lot to me, but if it is a special / 'once in a lifetime' occasion, then I can certainly think of worse things to spend it on.

Talking of cheap, we do museums very well, if I do say so myself. The following are all wonderful places you could spend a whole day (along with the nearest tube station)...

Science Museum & Natural History Museum (South Kensington)

Imperial War Museum (Lambeth South)

Tate Modern (Southwark, or London Bridge if travelling overground)

British Museum (Holborn)

... all of which are completely free, and will be well signposted from those stations. South Kensington also has the Victoria & Albert and Madam Tussards, I believe... but both are rather expensive.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Well, im kindoff in a thight spot here, with what happend a hour ago...Have you read my other thread? :`(