UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What do Minimates need to get to the "next level"?

Blind-bagging is a farce.

Well, at least DST took ONE suggestion from this thread.

Yes. The wrong one! other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gifother_beatingA_DeadHorse.gifother_beatingA_DeadHorse.gifother_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

Please, for the love of God, no blind boxing please. I don't want to have to buy a box just to guarantee one mate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - they need to be added to the "Impulse Buy" sections of Target & WalMart.

And if they ever go the way of blind packs, keep it like Lego - minimum of 2-3 per box of each character, avoid the rare 1 per case nonsense!

Blind bags are bad. I do not collect other blind bagged lines simply because they are blind bagged. It's an annoying gimmick that would leave me feeling alienated.

Blind bags are the worst.

At least several members agreed with me ... in 2012.

Good Ideas:

• Build-A-Mate Pack in Pieces
  • Better Interchangeability Marketing
  • Impulse Buy Availability at Big Box Retailers
  • Dump of Mixed Army Builders

Bad Ideas

• Blind bagged with one per case rares

bell_winner-bf.gif

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My feelings on true blind bags/boxes haven't changed. No sir, I don't like it. I like to know what I'm getting, and I don't think I should have to buy a full case just to make sure I get a full set. That's not convenient. It's annoying and costly. Right now I don't plan on collecting this line,

I would be willing to pay a premium if DST were to implement a "Build-A-Figure" in specialty waves.

Pack 1 - Head/Accessories

Pack 2 - Torso/Waist

Pack 3 - Arms/Hands

Pack 4 - Legs/Feet

Of course, in order to properly market these as a "Build-A-Figure" set, they would need to drop standard case pack outs and just go with Custom Cases pack outs for all customers...which is long overdue already, in my opinion.

Hey Jatta, you forgot one........ we need swivel arms! so we can really hold all the guns, swords, etc...

I completely agree with the benefit of swivel arms, but that's one of those changes that would suddenly make all of my other 'mates look outdated. :\

Jatta Pake, on 29 May 2014 - 13:33, said:

MisterPL, on 22 May 2014 - 14:45, said:

buttheadsmate, on 09 Nov 2012 - 12:38, said:

Blind-bagging is a farce.

Well, at least DST took ONE suggestion from this thread.
Yes. The wrong one!
To be fair, we got the suggestion from numerous retailers, both specialty and mass market, who have been asking for it for years. This thread is the reason we DIDN'T do it until now.

Jatta Pake, on 29 May 2014 - 13:33, said:

Good Ideas:

• Build-A-Mate Pack in Pieces
  • Better Interchangeability Marketing
  • Impulse Buy Availability at Big Box Retailers
  • Dump of Mixed Army Builders
Bad Ideas
  • Blind bagged with one per case rares
bell_winner-bf.gif
Making Minimates available as an impulse buy at a big box retailer isn't something we can just DO. We haven't been able to get big box retailers available in Minimates in any form, until now. And the reason they're interested is BECAUSE they could get them as blind bags. We gave them options, and they said blind bags. So it's thanks to blind bags that we now have impulse buy availability at big box retailers.

And I assume you mean a dump of mixed Marvel Comics based army builders. If we'd gotten better responses to the Thor or Cap dumps, maybe we'd be trying it with comic assortments by now, but that did not happen. Aliens has done well, however, so I hope that will lead to more single pack assortments.

I'm trying to mention the interchangeability on the packaging wherever it fits, but I think Chuck has commented on Build-a-Figures in Ask DST. I don't remember his specific thoughts.

Am I hearing 'noo-gah' or how I've said it for nigh on sixty years....'nugget' ?

Just noog it! Edited by DSTZach

Grocers are probably not what people usually think of for anything other than "cheapo" toys, but there's a chain from TX that has full aisles of name brand toys. Not sure how the DST sales team operates, Zach, but you might want to point them at HEB as a potential outlet.

@Zach - I think you are missing out by not trying a comic assortment of army builders. I think movie versions work well, but they need to really be iconic within the property. This process seems to require an extended appearance in a series of movies rather than being a flavor of a one-time enemy in a single movie. The Aliens from the Aliens movies are iconic. Stormtroopers in Star Wars are iconic. They appear in all of the movies. Cylons are iconic in Battlestar Galactica TV show as are Cobra troopers in GI Joe.

Similar for comics. Sentinels are iconic in X-Men comics. Comic Hyrdra are iconic in Avengers comics. Moloids and Skrulls are iconic in Fantastic Four comics. Foot goons are iconic in TMNT comics. They are easily recognizable for fans despite slight variations in appearance over the years.

The movie versions of the Frost Giants and 1940s Hydra had no immediately recognizable counterpart in other movies or comics that established them as iconic villains. Had a Dark Elves army dump been released, I theorize that it wouldn't have done any better than the previous Thor and Cap dumps. Sad because the design of the Frost Giants, 1940s Hydras, and Dark Elves are some of the sweetest troop designs ever. And they translated into absolutely beautiful Minimates.

I suspect the Avengers dump did better for two reasons: 1) The movie was a smash hit, and 2) the Chitauri are referenced in Iron Man 3 and Marvel's Agents of Shield, and 3) they appear in the Marvel Ultimate universe of comics. But I'd argue that they would need even more exposure to become truly iconic as movie Avengers villains.

I hope DST gives comic army builders a shot with a dump. I theorize it would do better than the movie Thor and Cap dumps.

I suspect the Avengers dump did better for two reasons:

wacko.png

I think I just fell into a parallel universe...

Tell me I'm not mis-remembering getting an Avengers dump. I may need to have my head examined. Didn't we get an Avengers dump?

I suspect the Avengers dump did better for two reasons:

wacko.png

I think I just fell into a parallel universe...

Tell me I'm not mis-remembering getting an Avengers dump. I may need to have my head examined. Didn't we get an Avengers dump?

Nope. You know, the "Avengers" days were pretty crazy. Especially when DST gave the press release for the wave and instead of the Chitauri, they added "Redacted" and then every comic news site was trying to find what alien race the "Redacted" were supposed to be. Good times.

I gotta say, Jatta, not knowing what toys we've put out makes me question your expertise and knowledge of the market. :)

No Avengers dump, due to the lukewarm response to Thor and Cap, and I think that was the right call. The secrecy around the characters hurt sales of or Chitauri Select figure, so a lot of Chitauri might not have done much better. but we did a Cylon dump, and yeah, I think it did well. No FOOT dump planned, but who knows.

I personally think the Kree/AIM/Hydra dump would do well with consumers, or even an all-Sentinel dump. But I don't know what our confidence level is with retailers. Maybe some day.

Gotta agree with YB (we agree a lot). Build a Figure and drop the 1 per case pack.

BAF encourages more buys and can get to characters DST perceives as too risky to release in a standard pack. I believe most collectors will buy an entire series to get a BAF they want. It's been used in brick and mortar stores for a long time, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for minimates.

Also, the custom case (even pack out) should be the standard. Most comic shops I've been want to sell in sets and the odd case packout leaves them with extras that are difficult to sell.

I wish DST would give the BAF a try for one wave and see how it works.

We totally need blind bags. NOT blind box, because real collectors can feel for the ones they want, and casual collectors can just pick up the extra ones and everyone's happy and every one wins!

Not to derail (too much) but what exactly is a real collector?

We totally need blind bags. NOT blind box, because real collectors can feel for the ones they want, and casual collectors can just pick up the extra ones and everyone's happy and every one wins!

Not to derail (too much) but what exactly is a real collector?

A collector that's not a hologram?

So you're saying holograms aren't real? As president of the JEM and the Holograms fan club, i'd like to point out that just because a hologram is intangible, it is no less real than whatever it is an image of. It's not like we're talking about unicorns!

A real collector would be someone that is well versed into not only the toy world but the video game and art worlds as well. He must be always in his right mind in order to distinguish the faulty from the ideal collectible. He also needs to speak Latin and Greek. He must be a wonderful athlete in order to outrun his competitors on a Black Friday. Be well versed into philosophy in order to speculate the new licenses and mathematics in order to see the patterns. I would also consider him worthless if he is not a musician that is capable of creating symponies to honor his latest purchase.

Build wise:

-A palm is four fingers

-A foot is four palms

-A cubit is six palms

-Four cubits make a man

-A pace is four cubits

-A man is 24 palms

-the length of the outspread arms is equal to the height of a collector.

-from the hairline to the bottom of the chin is one-tenth of the height of a collector.

-from below the chin to the top of the head is one-eighth of the height of a collector.

-from above the chest to the top of the head is one-sixth of the height of a collector.

-from above the chest to the hairline is one-seventh of the height of a collector.

-the maximum width of the shoulders is a quarter of the height of a collector.

-from the breasts to the top of the head is a quarter of the height of a collector.

-the distance from the elbow to the tip of the hand is a quarter of the height of a collector.

-the distance from the elbow to the armpit is one-eighth of the height of a collector.

-the length of the hand is one-tenth of the height of a collector.

-the root of the penis is at half the height of a collector.

-the foot is one-seventh of the height of a collector.

-from below the foot to below the knee is a quarter of the height of a collector.

-from below the knee to the root of the penis is a quarter of the height of a collector.

-the distances from below the chin to the nose and the eyebrows and the hairline are equal to the ears and to one-third of the face.