UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What do Minimates need to get to the "next level"?

On 6/27/2019 at 3:41 PM, youbastards said:

Yeah, the price disparity between a boxset and a full wave had gotten badly off-balance.  $23-$25 for a usually barebones 4-figure boxset or $35-$40 for a 9-figure wave (including BaF).

I think it's time for DST to re-evaluate their distribution/pricing models, and it's only going to get worse with Chinese tariffs.

Also, if a $120 Real Ghostbusters action figure boxset is acceptable, why wouldn't a $40-$50 Minimates themed boxset?  Basically the equivalent of a con-exclusive wave with extra parts and special packaging.  Just make it something that will stand out at SDCC.

I think the toy industry is going to be hit hard by this, and the small collector-based companies in particular. I wonder at what price point a toy like Minimates stops being feasible. But I'd like to see them maybe give blister cards a try, something like Mega Construx and Super7 have done.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep buying Marvel Legends for the accessories and that really made me think... Minimates need more stuff. Like hands for example. I have spent a $hit ton of money buying pucks and Jesus figures just for the pointing and the handstand hand which doesn't really help with all of the characters. It would be great if they came with multiple things like this:

55a59c185dd54c7cb06720fd1f9dcc0alg.jpg

I get that the extra accessories *may* be too much but is it really that hard to give us a few more hand options?

Sometimes they do this really well.  I love, for example, that Spider-Man/ Chameleon set with all the extra stuff. The Mr Fantastic/ Puppet Master set's another good example. But I agree, those should be the norm and not exceptions.

29 minutes ago, hellpop said:

Sometimes they do this really well.  I love, for example, that Spider-Man/ Chameleon set with all the extra stuff. The Mr Fantastic/ Puppet Master set's another good example. But I agree, those should be the norm and not exceptions.

I agree. I just think extra hands in different poses should be the norm. Look at all the love we have for the Spidey with the twhip hands!

On 7/3/2019 at 6:35 AM, stack32 said:

For a character like Cyclops I care less about hands and more about optic blasts. They included one once and then not since.

Not to knit pick because your sentiment is right but they have given us force blasts twice. I still think a small adjustment like extra hands would be cheaper and help playability/pose-ability and be a great step toward evolution.  

Edited by thereasonsy

On 7/7/2019 at 1:30 PM, hellpop said:

Simple: USWNT Minimates.

I’m honestly surprised we haven’t discussed this before. Sports mates would do well especially for teams that trade people. I’d love a set of Mets Mates! 

PL, this isn't directed at you, I'm just using your last post as a springboard into the general conversation that's been going on.

Concerning minimates: Is there a next level though?

Heroes in costumes and masks have always been the bread winner for the line, specifically Marvel and DC before they opted out. How often does any property without masks and capes really last? Besides the Walking Dead and Nightmare before Christmas I can't think of many more. And were those lines even selling or was it just that we had a large retailer willing to keep taking product?  Even sci-fi and fantasy (TV/movies/video games) doesn't seem to have the pull of superheroes.

I don't think minimates translate well to capturing likenesses outside of the superhero genre. Heck, even we complain about civilian characters. If we aren't interested, I don't believe it's realistic to think that a new retailer with wider exposure will turn things around and make every product viable. Sometimes it just is what it is and minimates (imo) are a small niche line that is best suited for the superhero product.

Getting THAT product to a major retailer and/or getting comic shops back on board with better ordering options, I believe, could keep things rolling for a long time.

But I just don't see it expanding much beyond that.

My two cents.

20 hours ago, Ronan The Accuser said:

Ha! Every July 1st they could release a new Bobby Bonilla mate. Pack him with two accessories... a smile that gets bigger every year and piles of money.

Smartest. Contract. Ever.

every-yearon-july-1-the-mets-write-a-check-find-24613548.png

It’s on my calendar and we discuss it at length.

I just think they need to do a better job of releasing product related to other popular comics events.

Marvel has now released Damnation, War of Realms, Secret Empire, Spider-Verse, and Venomverse events with no coinciding minimates. I think having event-specific minimates on the shelves in LCS for six months while the single issues are being released is an awesome marketing strategy for impulse buys.

I know this has been tried before though, so maybe it doesn’t work out like I imagine.

Still I think DST producing one-off event specific costumes or costume updates and new characters are often what sets them apart from Marvel Legends and similar toy lines.

JUST PLEASE GIVE ME GOD DOOM AND THE REST OF THE PHOENIX FIVE.

Edited by Swarm198

1 hour ago, Swarm198 said:

I just think they need to do a better job of releasing product related to other popular comics events.

Marvel has now released Damnation, War of Realms, Secret Empire, Spider-Verse, and Venomverse events with no coinciding minimates. I think having event-specific minimates on the shelves in LCS for six months while the single issues are being released is an awesome marketing strategy for impulse buys.

I know this has been tried before though, so maybe it doesn’t work out like I imagine.

Still I think DST producing one-off event specific costumes or costume updates and new characters are often what sets them apart from Marvel Legends and similar toy lines.

The problem with this is comics just don’t sell the way they use to. There is a limited audience for event specific things and they gamble on spiritual tie ins (like wave 77) to  connect sales. Avengers BC may have changed that but tbh I am not sure. 

4 hours ago, Swarm198 said:

Don't get me started on the Phoenix 3 again...

I wonder if DST doesn't get reference material as quickly from Marvel as they used to? It certainly feels that way with the movies (I know that's technically a different license) and it wouldn't take much of a delay to make event waves a lot harder to do.

DST has had enough trouble getting movie product out around a film release. 

I recall the trouble they had getting the All-New X-Men Bobby Drake costume right because the early concept art had changed. Fortunately we caught it and they were able to correct it but that’s an example of why offering product that coincides with an event isn’t always a good idea. 

I still feel movie assortments are better served being released during the home video promotion. Likewise, a comic event might be better off coinciding with the trade paperback.