UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What do Minimates need to get to the "next level"?

Also, the custom case (even pack out) should be the standard. Most comic shops I've been want to sell in sets and the odd case packout leaves them with extras that are difficult to sell.

^^^^^^^

thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thought... what if story specific marvel box sets had an opening front flap with art from the cover? Better yet, reimagined art featuring Minimate versions of the existing covers.

Along with this, or instead of, what about original mini comics or scaled down to ash can size existing comics for kids to sink their teeth into. You could cross promote upcoming or existing arts by putting an ad on the back cover for any featured characters not in the set?

I gotta say, Jatta, not knowing what toys we've put out makes me question your expertise and knowledge of the market. smile.png

No Avengers dump, due to the lukewarm response to Thor and Cap, and I think that was the right call. The secrecy around the characters hurt sales of or Chitauri Select figure, so a lot of Chitauri might not have done much better. but we did a Cylon dump, and yeah, I think it did well. No FOOT dump planned, but who knows.

I personally think the Kree/AIM/Hydra dump would do well with consumers, or even an all-Sentinel dump. But I don't know what our confidence level is with retailers. Maybe some day.

You know what? I'm going to exile myself to the "Beyond the Multiverse" area of the forum. I've clearly lost my mind. I raise the white flag of surrender.

Yee mortals shall find thee only in the Customs threads henceforth. It's where I belong, and I will do less damage there. biggrin.png

We totally need blind bags. NOT blind box, because real collectors can feel for the ones they want, and casual collectors can just pick up the extra ones and everyone's happy and every one wins!

Not to derail (too much) but what exactly is a real collector?

Lol a collector who's looking for specific figures. Not a random person picking a bag up to buy on a whim. Silly I hope you knew what I meant. ....I hope.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm impressed that this thread is still going but really glad to see Minimates are doing well and expanding.

TMNT to me is really a massive opportunity considering that the show has been renewed for two more seasons, retail is doing amazingly well and the current season isn't even over!

Good luck DST!

While it's great to see Minimates expanding into other retail outlets, book stores are struggling. I know adding product like this is a way to diversify as well as complement other product but I'm concerned about how long this is going to last. I'm sure they've tried to get into other outlets like FYE and Best Buy.

I hate to say it but if single blind bags take off, DST might be able to get these placed into places where people NEED to shop; grocery stores and pharmacies.

While it's great to see Minimates expanding into other retail outlets, book stores are struggling. I know adding product like this is a way to diversify as well as complement other product but I'm concerned about how long this is going to last. I'm sure they've tried to get into other outlets like FYE and Best Buy.

I hate to say it but if single blind bags take off, DST might be able to get these placed into places where people NEED to shop; grocery stores and pharmacies.

I am not fond of Blind Bags ( and I know this is not the thread for complaining about it) but if I was at the grocery store or something of the like and saw them I would grab a couple just because they were there.

• 3 years later...

Minimates need a video game.

I'm seeing DST's block figure turf being invaded more and more by these damned Roblox things. I had no idea what they were, assumed they were a generic Minimate knockoff, but discovered they're part of an online video game.

roblox-series-1-action-figure-set-champi

DST should consider teaming with a developer to see what they can come up with for the brand, maybe something to do with Minimates MAX or Battle Beasts or Maximum Zombies or all of the above.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

So we've been told before that specialty shops prefer boxsets because they can order as many or little as they want, right?  They don't have to order by the case like they do Waves.

Would it make more sense for Waves to basically become deluxe boxsets?  Meaning that instead of ordering by the case, shops could order just 1 "Boxwave" if they so wanted to.

What about consumers that just want to buy 1 or 2 packs of the wave?  Simple.  Continue to package the individual 2-packs as they already are, but present those inside another artbox.  It allows the retailer to determine if he is going to sell by the individual pack or by the full wave.

Doing this would allow B&M retailers to have better control over how they buy product while still giving them the option to sell as a set or piece them out based in what their market demands.

Some online stores like Luke already offer the option of buying the full set or individual packs, so they won't be affected by this change at all.

Edited by youbastards

Yeah, the price disparity between a boxset and a full wave had gotten badly off-balance.  $23-$25 for a usually barebones 4-figure boxset or $35-$40 for a 9-figure wave (including BaF).

I think it's time for DST to re-evaluate their distribution/pricing models, and it's only going to get worse with Chinese tariffs.

Also, if a $120 Real Ghostbusters action figure boxset is acceptable, why wouldn't a $40-$50 Minimates themed boxset?  Basically the equivalent of a con-exclusive wave with extra parts and special packaging.  Just make it something that will stand out at SDCC.

On 6/27/2019 at 3:41 PM, youbastards said:

Yeah, the price disparity between a boxset and a full wave had gotten badly off-balance.  $23-$25 for a usually barebones 4-figure boxset or $35-$40 for a 9-figure wave (including BaF).

I think it's time for DST to re-evaluate their distribution/pricing models, and it's only going to get worse with Chinese tariffs.

Also, if a $120 Real Ghostbusters action figure boxset is acceptable, why wouldn't a $40-$50 Minimates themed boxset?  Basically the equivalent of a con-exclusive wave with extra parts and special packaging.  Just make it something that will stand out at SDCC.

Those tariffs are going to break a lot of goods...