UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What do Minimates need to get to the "next level"?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see Star Wars happening but if walking dead is any indication, we are in a world of trouble when it comes time to collecting them. Wd scaipers are bad, but Star Wars scalpers are the worst. I really hope dst expands their availability beyond lcs's and tru.

I could see Star Wars happening but if walking dead is any indication, we are in a world of trouble when it comes time to collecting them. Wd scaipers are bad, but Star Wars scalpers are the worst. I really hope dst expands their availability beyond lcs's and tru.

We need small-sized minimates. Then we can have WD Carl, and with Star Wars, for Jawas, Ewoks, etc.

If DST gets to make SW minimates, they need to improve their distribution ratios. If scalpers ruined SW like they are with WD, I would seriously raise hell!

Can't help it. I've got the Lego sales numbers sitting right in front of me and you will not believe the profit margin. Blind bags sell. Very well.

Actually, DST could do something similar to the Ninjago single packs. Those let you see what's inside, have nice thick packaging, and peg very well. Unfortunately the only reason they're doing as well as they are is because they're Ninjago.

Can't help it. I've got the Lego sales numbers sitting right in front of me and you will not believe the profit margin. Blind bags sell. Very well.

Actually, DST could do something similar to the Ninjago single packs. Those let you see what's inside, have nice thick packaging, and peg very well. Unfortunately the only reason they're doing as well as they are is because they're Ninjago.

You just negated your own argument.

Blind bags are for Kubricks, not Minimates.

Right, but the Ninjago ones aren't blind bags.

blind bag

lego-collectible-minifigure-series-4-package-8804.jpg

Single pack but not blind bag

DSCN0084.jpg

Something similar to the second one may work, but it would require a delicate balance, as the Lizaru figure is a serious shelf warmer.

I know blind bags aren't popular. I'm not saying I personally want it to happen. I only brought it up because the name of the thread is 'What do Minimates need to get to the "next level"?' Blind bags would do that. They sell A LOT. Kids love them. Everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon. Lego, Playmobile, Megablocks, Hasbro, every single Disney and Marvel product you can think of. They're short, sweet and burn through disposable income simply because they're aimed at children. And because the parents don't care, and the companies don't care, they can throw in a 1/100 chase figure to simultaneously enrage/placate the fans.

¢2 worth.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Individually packaged is an interesting idea, but seems to have failed during the Shopko series. Of course, IMO, Minimates were new back then. They are whole new beast these days. So it might work.

Persoanlly, I'd like to see team builder packs. Army dump of AIM soldiers? Hell yes! Better yet, army dump of mixed evil goons (Hydra, AIM, Sentinel, brood, etc)? OH HELL yes!

I'd prefer individual packs vs blind bags for impulse buys.

I would support blind bags ONLY if there were NO rare "chase" figures. Distribute them like the Lego minifigs (which I already buy a ton of), where you can get a full set if you buy the box. Of course, if you buy a Lego minifig box, you get at minimum 2 but usually at least 3 full sets.

I'm not sure of the ratios for the megablocks, but I don't buy those.

But what about the Mario Kart bagged series? The artwork for each character is on each bag, so you know what you're getting. I finally found a Bowser, which seems shortpacked in each case. I think I'd prefer this method, but I don't want any shortpacks.

Besides, would this even be possible for the licensed stuff?? I'd buy the heck out of non-licensed monsters, Calico Jack, MAX, etc, but I don't see them doing licensed figs this way. Lego can't, so it depends on the license agreement.

Megabloks does Marvel blind bags, but they do a ratio chase figure breakdown. They do 5 common, 2 uncommon, and 1 rare in the wave. As for the amounts, in case of 24 there is 1 rare, 3 uncommon, and 19 common. I don't bother with it anymore.

I wouldn't want licensed bags, I would rather we get the Dst in house stuff that we never did. I would love the return of Max, Calico Jack, and even Maximum Zombies. Just no crazy chase mates, I would be up for blind bags though.

Edited by SuperChefMate

Build a figure. Sentinels. Watcher. Giant man. Bring back the original minimate scale to add some giant figures to the series the line desperately needs. Or just release the big figures, doesn't have to be b-a-f.

Bigger size can't happen though. :/

5 blind bags, 3 per case seems like a good number. 1 Blank, "Got Minimates" female firefighter, Robin Hood, MAX arctic trooper, CJ Morgan LeFey. I'd buy the crap out of those. Pack them 5 per row, so you know all you have to do is snag a row.

• 1 year later...

A thought... what if the tray was redesigned for the righthand figure to be packaged in pieces? the cavities would need to be lined up so that the pieces were aligned as they should be. You know, to better illustrate the mix and match, connect and play, customization options that Minimates allow. we collectors are aware, and as a sales person, I do my best to inform our customers. but for the average person seeing Minimates on a shelf, they just look like tiny action figures with no real gimmick.

You could even specifically have arrows pointing from one figure to the other saying "interchangeable parts!" or maybe redesign the packaging so that the extras are visible. I just feel like not enough attention is brought to the true play feature of Minimates.

The other thing that would be great would be done sort of indicator as to just how many characters have been made over the years. Some sort of group shot worked onto the back of the package, perhaps

Edited by Mnemosis