UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thundercats Minimates

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rant coming in 5....4...3...2..1:

With DST still dragging their feet on 'yet to be made' minimates like say, the brotherhood of evil mutants and only really churning out the 'must haves' with con exclusives like Thundercats- you wonder if they are hiding something from us- and not in a cool reveal way....more like a mattycollector 'screw you over with annoying fees and stipulations' way. Anyone else notice this or is it just me? dry.gif

Help me to understand DST:

When you have your fans telling you what they want and yet you still don't make it- despite being the ONLY toyline around to make it to a wave 50 in the first place- that's horrible. I can understand with any other toy line (especially from my youth) that hopes of 'character x' to get made are slim---how many years did we all have to wait before we finally got a decent Rouge figure?? But when you have 60+ years of characters to pick from without being hampered by likeness rights or characters of various contract agreements- it boggles the mind. You make them, we'll buy them--it's as simple as that. I know certain characters are left out of various waves to keep you guessing and ultimately continuing buying (who'd want to buy a complete team and never see any other 'new' figures to go with them?)but, why are there so many figures missing??

Are the superhero minimates not doing well? Is that why we've only been seeing movie-mates as of late and branching into other pop culture properties like Walking Dead, Expendables...etc?

If that's the case, why not more cartoons from the 70's and 80's?

Jeff, with all due respect, I really don't understand your points at all. I'm not sure what the first part of your rant is implying... DST are keeping something from us? What, that they could make the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles but have chosen not to? That makes no sense. I'm sure that they've talked to Nick about them, and if you mean that's what they are keeping from us, well... sure. Chuck's not going to let us in on DST's private negotiations. Why would he? But honestly, he's been very open about these things, and he's obviously empowered Zach as the company's spokesman to have a large degree of openness. Why think that there's something sinister there?

As for Marvel, and this "not making what the fans tell you", well:

1. DST just ran a fan poll to choose an entire wave of characters. AND the choices were based on our requests here (and in other fan communities).

2. It will be impossible for ANY toy line to ever complete the Marvel Universe.

3. There's no way to please every fan. Your rant makes it seem like every fan is demanding the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. I'm not. Hey, they'd be nice, and I agree they're a glaring omission, but they are far down my list of wants. And I'm certainly not the only one that feels that way. My point is that we all have our own wants, and that no one is voting in a block. That's the whole point of the Multiverse Civil War!

As for branching out... take a look at the Database. DST has always branched out. DST is doing the Walking Dead and the Expendables because they think they will sell and they were able to get the license. The end. If they aren't doing more 70s and 80s cartoons, it's because one of those factors hasn't happened. And, I'd hazard to guess, trying to revive cartoons from 20-30 years ago would probably be a loosing strategy. For whatever attention nostalgia might gain, you'd sacrifice (and then some) from kids that have no idea who the Silverhawks are, or Thundaar the Barbarian, or most every other property guys our age fondly remember.

Sorry if I came off like a jerk here, but I did just get done watching the debate, so my arguin' blood's all stirred up. :biggrin: I agree with you that TMNT would be a great property for DST, and I hope we see them someday. But let's not make some kind of blanket assumption that DST just doesn't want them, when there's no evidence to suggest that's the case.

In my defense, I was having an awful day yesterday accompanied by a large consumption of caffeine to get me thru it...then discovereing yet another minimate release that not only was a con exclusive, but also one that I didnt want (when there are so many yet to be made) and i just....snapped.

Forgot the cardinal rule of posting: think before you post. As for mispelling rogue and calling me an f******? Childish.

Forgot the cardinal rule of posting: think before you post. As for mispelling rogue and calling me an f******? Childish.

For the record 'Jeff' the mispelling of Rogue was an 'in-joke' that has long since passed into the annals (& anals) of the Multiverse ......there was even a dedicated thread about it once. Here ..... http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=3662&st=0&p=55252&hl=rouge&fromsearch=1entry55252

Who called you an f****** ? I recall using the term 'for f8cksake' as in 'for f8ck's sake' ....as in 'for goodness sake '....but name-calling isn't my bag .

The 2nd. cardinal rule of posting? : read what is actually written not what you think is written.

For the record 'Jeff' the mispelling of Rogue was an 'in-joke' that has long since passed into the annals (& anals) of the Multiverse ......there was even a dedicated thread about it once. Here ..... http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=3662&st=0&p=55252&hl=rouge&fromsearch=1entry55252

Who called you an f****** ? I recall using the term 'for f8cksake' as in 'for f8ck's sake' ....as in 'for goodness sake '....but name-calling isn't my bag .

The 2nd. cardinal rule of posting? : read what is actually written not what you think is written.

Okay. I thought you were calling me that. That's the number one thing I hate about forums. Sarcasm/in-jokes/even posting anything the slightest bit negative and it can be completely taken the wrong way. It's why I've avoided them for so long. This site is the only one I post to because everyone is civil- glad to see it still is. :biggrin:

Jeff, this is a civil place, and I thank you for maintaining that. Your responses here have been very well-handled. Thumbs up to you.biggrin.gif

BHM's dry British wit sometimes gets lost in the translation, so I can understand you taking offense. Rogue/rouge's an easy typo to make. Back when I used to post on AFI, there was a rather caustic member that went by the handle Rogues Gallery... except that he spelled the first word wrong, implying that he was a display case for ladies' makeup. It did not help his already fringe opinions be taken any more seriously. laugh.gif

Where's NorthRaider? :(

Sure thing.

So who's the little purple guy in the new box set? I don't remember him from show...

Educate me, thunder fans.

The little purple dude is a wolfrat. Honestly, I can't even remember seeing them in the series, so I googled the little fella...

'The Wolfrat is the twenty eighth episode of Thundercats.

Vultureman builds an infiltration robot and Mumm-Ra arms it with miniaturization gas which then shrinks the ThunderCats to nine inches in hight. They must rely on a normal size Snarf to help them defeat the robot. Tygra manages to create an antidote for the gas, just in time to fight the mutants who were attacking. Snarf gets another dose of the antidote, and doubles in size. He chases all the mutants out of the lair, but ends up hitting his head on a lot of doorways.

...aaaaaaand now I remember that episode. It was not that awesome compared to other episodesof the series.

Edited by Dreadnok Rocksteady

For the record 'Jeff' the mispelling of Rogue was an 'in-joke' that has long since passed into the annals (& anals) of the Multiverse ......there was even a dedicated thread about it once. Here ..... http://www.minimatem...h=1

Where's NorthRaider? :(

Yaknow that's a great question... what the hell DID happen to NorthRaider? I miss her...

Rouges Gallery? Really? That may be one of the best misnamed... yaknow what if they got a bunch of villains with red or a related word in their name and called themselves the Rouges Gallery? Like Omega Red, Red Ghost, Richard "The Rose" Fisk, Red Skull, Red Guardian, the Red King, Red Queen (Pryor), and Erik the Red.

Anywho... I have to say those group of mutants... they are rather hilariously brilliantly awesome. Do I want them? Yes. Will I get them? Maybe... All depends on funds and such...

To Jeff, civilly.

1. Thundercats aren't us, they're Icon Heroes. We make them for another company that has the license. We like the 'Mates a lot, and want them to be nice, but they're not in any way our license. They offer them how they want.

2. I think we put out plenty of must-haves that aren't con exclusives -- MODOK, next week's Walking Dead line, etc. -- but some con exclusives are things we don't think we can sell in higher quantities, and those tend to be fan-favorites with less broad appeal. Alpha Flight and Thundercats are good examples, except they're really web exclusives -- AFX still has both for sale on their site, and will have them at NYCC, as well.

3. I totally based the Series 50 fan poll on an MMMV internal poll. We'll show the designs at NYCC's panel. And I know Kang and Morbius took a long time, but they're here now -- we aren't ignoring you, we just seem to be choosing fan-requested characters other than the ones you want. I'd personally rather have the Wrecking Crew than the Brotherhood, especially since three of the big Brotherhood members have been made already.

4. I really don't think we ration out characters to keep you guys buying, we just have to constantly allocate space for mainstream characters. We work in the New Mutants and X-Force when we can because they can't support their own series. And we finish box sets as soon as the opportunity presents itself, although i know there are a few you guys still want. BUT we just gave you ten different Alpha Flight members in the span of three months. We're not leading anybody on.

6. We still make a LOT of Marvel Minimates, more than ever, and I would say that at least 40-50% of what we make is new characters. Alpha Flight is 100% new. Strange Tales is 50% new. TRU 13 was 50%. TRU 14 is 37%. Series 47 is 43%. Series 48 is 57%. Series 50 will be 71%. We've actually talked about a Brotherhood box set, and I imagine it would be at LEAST 50% new characters.

7. Cartoons from the '70s and '80s are either A. ongoing properties owned by other toy companies, usually tied to feature films, which makes them less likely to be licensed out, or B. much more obscure, without any current exposure and therefore not guaranteed to be a strong seller. Thundercats is somewhere in the middle (cancelled cartoon and toy line), and if Thundercats had sold out instantaneously, I could see us looking at other cartoons. It didn't, but we still will look at cartoons from time to time.

Edited by Zach Oat

As someone who considers himself one of the more vocal fans of new characters, I can say with complete honesty I have been exceedingly happy with the direction and releases of 'mates recently, between the box sets and waves, I think DST has found a very solid mix of Names and New. Just my two cents.

To Jeff, civilly.

3. I totally based the Series 50 fan poll on an MMMV internal poll. We'll show the designs at NYCC's panel. And I know Kang and Morbius took a long time, but they're here now -- we aren't ignoring you, we just seem to be choosing fan-requested characters other than the ones you want. I'd personally rather have the Wrecking Crew than the Brotherhood, especially since three of the big Brotherhood members have been made already.

C'mon Zach, I know you've got a Brotherhood set to hit us with at NYCC. The Rufus body totally gives away Blob.

Blob, Toad, Magneto, and Unus the Untouchable

Please forgive the following on-topic post:

I love the 'cats. Great accessories and detail. Looks like we're hopefully hitting at least three box sets... is a fourth locked-in? That would include a proper Mumm-Ra as depicted in the control art? Or is this dependent on sales?

I totally agree! These are some of the best minimates ever made, and that's saying something! I love every minimate I own,

but the Thundercats are just epic! They're on my desk at work, so I can see them all day! I can't wait to get the next two sets!

If there is a chance of another box set containing Mumm Ra the Ever Living in his powered up form (YAY!) I'd love to see the

Snow Man of Hook Mountain in there, and his battle steed Snowmeow! Or Mongor! Or a Tuska Warrior! Or Grune the Destroyer!

Or Pumyra, Lynx-O and Bengali! I LOVE THUNDERCATS!

Thundercats is somewhere in the middle (cancelled cartoon and toy line), and if Thundercats had sold out instantaneously, I could see us looking at other cartoons. It didn't, but we still will look at cartoons from time to time.

Interesting. I suppose that puts a nail in my hope of a modern set.

Zach, I always appreciate you going the extra mile in answering all of our queries. :)

TM2 Dinobot, NorthRaider has also been silent, if not totally invisible in our local forums. Last I saw her was at our local Toycon this June, she still collects minimates though. Probably just busy, I'll let her know she is missed. :)

Zach, I always appreciate you going the extra mile in answering all of our queries. :)

TM2 Dinobot, NorthRaider has also been silent, if not totally invisible in our local forums. Last I saw her was at our local Toycon this June, she still collects minimates though. Probably just busy, I'll let her know she is missed. :)

You do that! :thumbsup:

Thundercats is somewhere in the middle (cancelled cartoon and toy line), and if Thundercats had sold out instantaneously, I could see us looking at other cartoons. It didn't, but we still will look at cartoons from time to time.

Interesting. I suppose that puts a nail in my hope of a modern set.

Not necessarily. Remember, Thundercats isn't our license. I was just talking about us pursuing other licenses on our own. I would ask Icon Heroes! Although their license may only be for classic.

Monte, that Jaga shot is epic. All of them are epic. I was pretty proud of the shots I took on my front steps until I saw these!