UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Play Arts Kai

I recently picked up some Playarts Kai Fullmetal Alchemist figures off ebay, and hoping to go pre-order route for the Cowboy bebop figures, I was wondering if anyone here collects these and which online retailer they have had good results with?

Cowboy Bebop is amazing. I've waited a very long time for a good figure from this series. I picked up a handful of gashapon figures when borders carried them, but they they were always a little too static for my liking.

I would LOVE to collect these figures, but between the odd scale (not to mention no uniform scale of Kai itself), shoddy quality (lot's of breaking, crappy paint, terrible joints, etc when in hand), and price, I turned away. So just a fair warning. I would suggest waiting for in-hand pics before you decide to buy.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So, i finally found a great deal on eBay and had eBay bucks to spend anyway, so i picked up Spike, and he arrived today.

He's as close to perfect as you can get. Everything i assumed i would hate, like the hair, the think PVC for his clothes, or the scale i wound up loving. Pics hopefully tomorrow but there's just so much to do with him, i can't stop fiddling. Really easy to get some natural poses too, unlike Figma, Figuarts, or most US figures. I think i'm in for the long haul with Play Arts; i pre-ordered the Tomb Raider Collector's Edition in November for the Lara Croft, and now i'm really excited for her. They don't have the best track record for females but i'm hopeful.

And they announced Arkham Ivy and Harley, and anything Ivy you just know i'm in for. Want movie Bane too, he looks massive and as he SHOULD look. And oh dear God what have i done to myself. My wallet... :confused:

ANYWAY, go buy Spike. Like, now. He's incredible. I may get Vicious, but i want to see if they make other cast members first. Still want Andy and Julia the most. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

was always unsure about this line for the price but i got the Nathan Drake figure for christmas and was blown away by the quality, well worth the price.

Worried i might get used to the quality though as it would cost a fair bit to keep buying these as opposed to other toy lines.

However i do plan on getting the Nolan style Batman come March and try to get Bane, Joker and Catwoman later on in time

• 1 month later...

Man I hate Play Arts Kai. I know people love these things, and they're supposed to be the best mid range figures money can buy, but they are so awful. I've never had one without some serious engineering flaw. The proportions are always wrong, the paint apps are only just barely passable, the articulation is junk and the scale is out of wack with everything else. Maybe I'm biased due to my long standing love affair with Figma. But I can't look at these figures and understand how this company is staying in business, let alone exploding with the licenses they've acquired. These are just terrible.

Man I hate Play Arts Kai. I know people love these things, and they're supposed to be the best mid range figures money can buy, but they are so awful. I've never had one without some serious engineering flaw. The proportions are always wrong, the paint apps are only just barely passable, the articulation is junk and the scale is out of wack with everything else. Maybe I'm biased due to my long standing love affair with Figma. But I can't look at these figures and understand how this company is staying in business, let alone exploding with the licenses they've acquired. These are just terrible.

I'll be honest, i just don't understand any of this. I've had one problem with Play Arts, and that's Lara's waist being essentially useless...well, and some balance, but that's just lack of patience. There's not a thing i don't love about Spike and Lara, really. Which ones do you feel that way about, Dino? Because i can get better poses than most other figures i own from all companies (Figmas are useless without their stands; i can get Spike to balance a high kick just standing free), and the paint is actually above-par honestly. The proportions are definitely off on some, especially Metal Gear, i'll give you that, but a lot of these feel like broad generalizations than anything else.

Which reminds me, back when we lost posts here i forgot i never posted those pics. I'll throw some pics up of Spike and Lara this weekend.

I wouldn't say every PAK is terribl,e as a majority of the MGS and Batman ones are well-made, but I do agree with you about everything else.

They seem to have a simple formula for creating their figures: Produce a gorgeous sculpt of a figure, and show it off at a con in professionally painted black and white. Then between then and production add nonsense articulation to the figure and hire toddlers to paint them en masse. Repeat for every current video game license ever.