UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Alpha Flight Minimates!

Jay Tigran

That's the Great Luke Ski. Aspiring Weird Al successor.

man, this bummed me out because I just realized the current Weird Al is 53 years old and there’s no heir apparent to the parody-songs-that-aren’t-f**king-annoying throne. We have exactly until Weird Al quits or god-forbid dies to enjoy excellent parodies before the genre becomes an unbearable mess* and that day is probably coming sooner then later :(

(*admitly I’ll have to youtube Luke Ski later to see what his content is but 99% of all parody songs are: hate filled parodies were someone sings about how much Justin Bieber sucks to the tone of a Justin Bieber song ignoring every Weird Al parody has been positive and his picking a song is a sign that song has made a mark on pop culture NOT some “take that a**hole!” move slamming it, nerd songs with clumsy nerd references mashed over karaoke versions of the songs ignorning Weird Al’s band has AMAZING musical talent and recreates each song or song style in studio and Weird Al’s let-me-describe-a-nerd-thing-in-song songs are far and few between, and then there’s the worse of the worse parody artist ones who play songs on accordions and sing in a nasally ‘weird al’ voice often calling themselves ‘Weird whoever’ ignoring Weird Al rarely puts accordions into his modern work and TRIES to mimic the voice of the actual singer, yes his debut Album is nothing but Accordions and Burp Sounds but no one considered ‘My Bologna’ is greatest artistic triumph either and in Alpocalypse he is mostly singing in his ‘Weird Al’ voice but I think he realized he was never going to pull off the ’20 year old woman’ voice needed for 3 of the 4 parodies and just said f**k it.... so again, I’ve never seen the great Luke Ski but his wikipedia page says he plays no instruments and uses pre-recorded music and plays mostly as comic cons, so I’m not too excited about what I’ll find.)

Sorry to go off topic about my thoughts on the parody-genres bleak post-Al world, let me get back on topic:

-AFX shipping sucks, but there Buy 3-get-1-free sale was pretty awesome! Even with shipping I saved $10 on two Alpha Flight #2, 1 Thundercats Mutants, and 1 full set of the Outback X-Men Wave.... now if my order would just f**king show up

-Strong Guy and Wrecking Crew for 2013 please! (because apparently wishlisting is NEVER off topic)

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else had problems with Aurora's black hairpiece? It's WAY too small... I had to sand the inside for a good hour and even then, I shouldn't have had to do that at all :(

Anyone else have this issue? First I've heard of it.

Yeah, the fit on mine is a little tight, too. I thought a couple other people had mentioned it.

Now Zach...could we maybe get a Power Pack 4-pack maybe? Please? ^_^

Asking the wrong guy. Hoping Series 50 sells well enough that I can convince Chuck to do this again, maybe we could have people choose between potential four-packs: Power Pack, Wrecking Crew, New Fantastic Four, Frightful Four, Masters of Evil, etc.

:highfive2:

man, this bummed me out because I just realized the current Weird Al is 53 years old and there’s no heir apparent to the parody-songs-that-aren’t-f**king-annoying throne. We have exactly until Weird Al quits or god-forbid dies to enjoy excellent parodies before the genre becomes an unbearable mess* and that day is probably coming sooner then later :(

I too remember a time when Dr.Strange's mentor, the 'Ancient One', seemed to me to be at least 53 years old ....it isn't as bad as you may have heard :biggrin:

I too remember a time when Dr.Strange's mentor, the 'Ancient One', seemed to me to be at least 53 years old ....it isn't as bad as you may have heard :biggrin:

I’m not saying 53 is old for a person, I’m just saying the idea of a 70 year old man high kick on stage in silly costumes, while awesome, is a little sad and if Weird Al agrees that means we’ve got 4 albums left (unless he DOES become that old man or just releases albums and stops touring or dies in a horrible accident like his parents and the number changes accordingly... or should I say ACCORDIONINGLY?!?! no, no accordingly was right...)

the idea we live in a world where there’s at best 40 new Weird Al songs to be heard EVER but an infinite number of “Weird Greg’s ‘Tron Song’” to be dumbed on youtube makes me VERY VERY sad.

ON TOPIC:

Seriously, when is my AFX order going to get here?!?! I feel like a dog everytime I hear a noise outside I check for the postman, I just want my damned Sasquatch already!!!

I've also had that problem with Aurora's black hair piece. It's not just tight, it's visibly smaller then the white hair piece.

This is also my problem. And I mean to the point where it literally won't fit on her head. The peg won't come anywhere near where it should.

Yeah, we mentioned the small hairpiece several pages back. You were probably still decompressing from NYCC, Zach. I was able to get mine on, after a LOT of struggle, but it still doesn't look right. I'll probably just paint the white one black, since I don't plan to use that one anyway.

Thanks guys! AFX is still pushing the release date for retailers out further into November, but our shipment is still guaranteed.

Poor afx. 10/24 to 11/7 to 11/14 to 11/21.

Delayed shipment my ass. This is all about trying to make as many of their own sales as possible.

Tch. Delayed again!? I ordered yesterday all excited to get these guys this week off Luke's (as mentioned in the post above from earlier) I think they're milking it for their own gain as well sha_ckwave. Never have I recalled a minimate set being delayed week, after week, after week like this before. Month delays, sure, but this delaying every week thing...

Gotta say, it's great Luke is around because AFX is not a company I think I like...like Mattel level not like.

They are a very small company run by a very nice guy, that has been one of the biggest supporters of Minimates, long before Luke got in the game (as a retailer, not as part of the Minimate community). Comparing them to Mattel is grossly unfair.:down:

They are a very small company run by a very nice guy, that has been one of the biggest supporters of Minimates, long before Luke got in the game (as a retailer, not as part of the Minimate community). Comparing them to Mattel is grossly unfair.:down:

Yeah, I know. Nothing compared to the evil that is Mattel.

Just a little annoyed as I was looking forward to the set coming this week given how crappy this week has been (working retail of any kind near the holidays sucks).

Agreed, hellpop. And there is the fact that this is an AFX Exclusive, so I'm not really going to get up in arms about them pushing the ship date to OTHER retailers. The set is available (and with free shipping to Amazon Prime members).

Edited by Turtle

Nah, mine worked okay too. I also used the old "throw the part in boiling water" trick, though.

Laziness kept me from doing this, finally put it in boiling water and slid it on just fine. Stuck the head in the freezer immediately after. Goes on and off just fine now.

Agreed, hellpop. And there is the fact that this is an AFX Exclusive, so I'm not really going to get up in arms about them pushing the ship date to OTHER retailers. The set is available (and with free shipping to Amazon Prime members).

While I applaud AFX for supporting minimates and allowing for a lot of the exclusives, said exclusives wouldn't be possible without the support of the OTHER retailers. If BBTS, SciFiGenre, Luke's, etc. didn't pick up a wholesale supply of these from them, they wouldn't be able to carry enough sales by themselves to continue with the exclusives. So yes, they've got their name on the exclusive, they take the most risk, but the other retailers and Diamond play a big part in it.

This time around the delays make me think they're trying to milk it a little. Fine, they control the stock, but 4 delays is a bit much.

And again, I'd be more likely to support AFX if I could get a more realistic price on the shipping/handling.

• 2 weeks later...
1353747005[/url]' post='251982']

any word on when these will be shipping from Luke's? i'm guessing there's been a slight delay due to the holidays?

I received a shipping notice from him yesterday, so I imagine they will all go out soon.

Was I the only one that didn't have a problem with Aurora's hairpiece?

It didn't slide right on, but I did what someone else suggested earlier: angle it, start at her forehead, and pull back over. Worked like a charm.

Thats how I did it. You can also hold it over some steam to soften it up and then put it on.