UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Alpha Flight Minimates!

Jay Tigran

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the earlier conversation, in the recent storyline where Wolverine went to Hell (I can't believe I typed that with a straight face), he ran into Puck, confirming he died (and must not have been a very wholesome guy). I can't remember totally, but I think Puck found a way to escape. I think he hid in a bag of Hell's laundry and got smuggled out when it was sent for dry cleaning in New Jersey. Again, I'm a little fuzzy on the details since I could never get over the fact I kept ready such a stupid comic. And if I remember right again, I think you could see the entirety of DC's New 52 in the background of Hell also.

Faults aside, he created one of my favorite characters of the last decade, Jessica Jones. A character that was never originally meant to be anything more than a way to tell his style of stories within the existing Marvel Universe. Seriously, if you haven't read Alias, do yourself a favor and pick up the full run, I think it went 38 issues.

I would second that. It was actually Alias that got me back into reading comic books as an adult after a pretty long hiatus. I particularly liked the purple man arc (hmmm, him and jessica would make a cool 2 pack) though I seem to recall there was a little (massive understatement!!) swearing in it so be warned if you don't like that in your comics! I also loved Bendis' Dark Avengers and to keep this vaguely on topic that was a team that I was really happy to see completed so quickly through con exclusives - let's hope that Alpha Flight falls into the same category.

Not having read AF, would the robot head be better in the TRU exclusive vindicator? Just wondering which I should pick up an extra set of.

Nope, she was impersonating James McDonald Hudson, AKA Mac, AKA the guy in this set. I do believe, if memory serves, that the costume his wife Heather ended up wearing as Vindicator actually came from the imposter... but it's been a LONG time since I read those Alpha Flight comics.

Looks like you read it a bit longer than I did or my memories much worse than yours. I remember what happened to Marina(Spellcheck)and was a little disappointed with that. So here's my question, who is the current Vindicator? Is it James or another recruit? I seem to remember them pretty much killing off some of the original team a few years back? Not trying to sidetrack the thread anymore than it already has. I was just a fan of the original run. Is it possible the won't reveal another exclusive and split up the remaining teams into 2 packs? Is their rogues gallery big enough they could do that?

Hey, you're not sidetracking the thread if you're actually talking about Alpha Flight, unlike some other people around here. Yes, Alpha Flight was killed off, rather unceremoniously, in New Avengers a few years back (BENDIS!). They were replaced for a time by Omega Flight, a hodgepodge of characters heading to Canada in the wake of the Civil War (Beta Ray Bill, US Agent, the Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman). This lineup also included Weapon Omega, whom was the guy wearing the Guardian suit that was not James McDonald Hudson or Heather Hudson. I don't know whatever happened to him, but I thought the Omega Flight mini series was pretty disappointing, so I'd be glad to forget him.

Alpha Flight did return, though I don't know how. They starred recently in a well-received, though quickly-cancelled, series; here's the collection. I'd expect them to remain a strong part of the MU for awhile, as (if I recall) people were pretty POed when they were killed off (BENDIS!!).

EDIT: oh, I meant to mention that Mac was brought back a few times over the years, first at the end of the original series run (where he was wearing a fairly horrible looking costume with inverted colors), and then again during the Steve Segle/ Scott Clark revival in the '90s (which I thought was pretty good, particularly for the time). Byrne killed him off because he thought he was a boring character, but I don't think he understood that Guardian was the iconic character from the group, and I think the book always struggled with the Guardian-shaped hole at the center.

The bulk of Alpha Flight came back after the Chaos War in Hercules' book because, well, he willed it. It was an awful explanation, as many characters stayed dead regardless.

This lineup also included Weapon Omega, whom was the guy wearing the Guardian suit that was not James McDonald Hudson or Heather Hudson. I don't know whatever happened to him, but I thought the Omega Flight mini series was pretty disappointing, so I'd be glad to forget him.

The new Weapon Omega was part of Osborn's Dark X-Men, and recently turned up in X-Men Legacy, looking for help with his out-of-control powers. He's still a poorly-conceived character, but he's hanging out with Mimic, and anything that boosts Mimic's profile (and chances of a Minimate) is a good thing.

Not only was this Weapon Omega part of Osborn's Dark X-Men... He's the guy that killed Alpha Flight in the first place!

So I just read up on them via wikipedia, seems that Bendis heavily implied that they were killed off, but never really showed it, and folks had to confirm who did or didn't die later, without really explaining how or how some others survived? And Puck was confirmed dead, but then just re-appeared without any explanation?

House of Ideas, babay!! :buttrock:

Seriously though, that is all shameful. Even if a given writer doesn't respect a character or team, he should have enough respect for the fans of them to at least explain when and how someone dies. And if/when they are brought back to life, that should be explained, too!!

Puck escaped Hell after Wolverine. Ugh.

Yeah, which is exactly the sort of reason this sort of plot point is awful. Why would Herc resurrect Alpha Flight and not some of his other dead friends?

Now, I realized that Alpha Flight means I need a new Minimate shelf. My shelves are about 4 feet long. That SDCC Helicarrier is about 4 feet long. Man I need to scare up 130 bucks pronto...

Doesn't DST usually (always) do 2 SDCC exclusive Minimate boxed sets? SO it SHOULD BE safe to assume there is another 4 pack waiting to be announced with Aurora, Sasquatch, Shaman & Snowbird? And then the TRU exclusive Heather and Box would round out the team (unless you count Talisman :). Just as a refresher, since these were shown at NYCC, here are Box and Vinidcator:

normal_Marvel10.jpg

Doesn't DST usually (always) do 2 SDCC exclusive Minimate boxed sets? SO it SHOULD BE safe to assume there is another 4 pack waiting to be announced with Aurora, Sasquatch, Shaman & Snowbird? And then the TRU exclusive Heather and Box would round out the team (unless you count Talisman :). Just as a refresher, since these were shown at NYCC, here are Box and Vinidcator:

normal_Marvel10.jpg

DST don't always do anything. But between them and AFX, they have announced two Marvel sets for SDCC: Alpha Flight and A vs X. If we are to get a second Alpha Flight set, it's probably a safer bet we'll see it at NYCC.

Yeah Zach said two Marvel sets at SDCC, AvX and Alpha Flight, we'll have to wait for NYCC to get the rest of the team (hopefully).

Don't forget we still have TRU and Comic waves to finish out the team. Oh and maybe a random DST or Disney exclusive down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

So box set # 2 is shown as coming soon on the back of box set #1, the four characters we thought, probably NYCC.

Box set #1 is up on AFX, but not at Lukes or my preferred merchant BBTS.

So when will the other retailers be able to sell these?

We have it up for sale. :)

how in the hell did i not notice the preview on the back of the box o.o

they all look awesome :D though sasquatch's hands look a little off

Oh no, I love that he has Minimate hands.

And thanks for posting the pic. I know it was posted somewhere else over the last few days, but it's now buried deep in some recess of the internet.

Edited by Turtle

I'm surprised no one talking about it yet (unless I missed it): no Puck.:sad:

Uh.. he's in the SDCC boxed set.

BTW, when is somebody (who has these in hand) going to post some loose pics of the SDCC set?

Edited by MINI_MYTE