UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates & everlasting optimism

buttheadsmate

49 minutes ago, Mattallica said:

I really cant see DST getting any new licensees and honestly i think its just a short amount of time before they stop making any minimates at all.

I'm afraid this could be accurate. Minimates seem to be turning into an afterthought with PVC statues and action figures getting most of the focus (and sales).

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my modest, non-insider opinion, I have always felt that there were people at DC brand development that just did not like the Minimate medium.  One guy in particular practically admitted it to my face.  A lot of those folks are gone now, so I still keep hope flickering.

51 minutes ago, Shanester said:

In my modest, non-insider opinion, I have always felt that there were people at DC brand development that just did not like the Minimate medium.  One guy in particular practically admitted it to my face.  A lot of those folks are gone now, so I still keep hope flickering.

I'm curious to know more about this. What exactly ground their gears about them?

That's what bugs me. You get ONE person in a position to say no and that's the end of it. And they're not even at the top of the ladder. They just have an opinion and a bias so what they say goes. It's one of the most frustrating things about working in corporate culture, especially when there's no transparency.

Which is why I suggest going to the retailers. Money talks.

23 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

I'm curious to know more about this. What exactly ground their gears about them?

The actual grudge, if there was one, is unknown to me. I had access to a decision maker and asked why they quit on the DC Minimates.  I don't remember the exact quote, but it amounted to "don't like them".  The person is long gone, but was there for a fairly long time, too.  I am not trying to put words in their mouth, but it was said with an arrogant smirk that ended the conversation.

Then I'm glad they're gone. ?

With DCC being put under the WBCP umbrella, I'm hopeful that DC product will get the expert attention it deserves. As someone who's worked with WBCP for almost 25 years, I've definitely noticed a drop in quality. I understand that the folks at WBCP have more on their plate than DC so maybe they'll delegate that responsibility to folks who know that The Flash wears gloves and that Green Lantern's lantern is green?

And with some relatively fresh blood, perhaps someone like Executive Creative Director Jim Fletcher will champion DC Minimates. What's his email?

On 1/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, MisterPL said:

And with some relatively fresh blood, perhaps someone like Executive Creative Director Jim Fletcher will champion DC Minimates. What's his email?

dammit.  every year the booth i work is right next to DC.  this is the first year DC is going to be somewhere else.  if i'd have known fletch had any influence in DC mates i'd have bugged him all sdcc all five days years ago!!!!!!!

For what it's worth, Fletcher didn't have that kind of influence at the time. I'm only assuming that, now that his division is under WBCP, he'll have more face time with the folks who do.

And to be clear, DST needs the DC license. No more of these loopholes to get Minimates to market. Both C3 and DC Direct proved too expensive. In order to compete with Marvel and all the other Minimates, DC Minimates need to enjoy the same retail price. Ideally DST would be able to offer Minimates-styled vehicles as well, but that's another topic.

• 2 weeks later...

From McFarlane interview on IGN:

”In addition to stepping in for Mattel, McFarlane Toys will also focus on the market previously covered by DC Collectibles (which was recently folded into WB's Consumer Products Divison as part of a larger corporate restructuring). That means fans can expect high-end collectibles like statues and busts from McFarlane along with traditional action figures. McFarlane told us, "With DC Collectibles taking a step back, there’ll be a void there, and they want me to sort of step up and take some of that momentum on myself."

so they are taking over all collectible stuff that Mattel/DCC did and spin masters is doing kids stuff. Come on DST weasel in there and get some.

12 hours ago, DSTZach said:

No one has mentioned Lego. 

Lego....smego 

The landscape is changing and new opportunities may be available. Licenses are split into more parts than ever. With DCC going away speciality has a huge void that might open up something. 

Mezco was able to produce those horrid mez-itz’s for years w Lego making DC products.

Don’t throw up your hands and just give up since Lego is around. Fortune favors the bold. 

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour? Hell no!

Minimates and Lego Minifigs are just not the same to me, but I can understand how license mumbo jumbo might perceive them as such.  Regardless, the relationship would need to be lucrative for both parties and maybe it just isn't.