UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates & everlasting optimism

buttheadsmate

FTC_BAT_Retro2Pack_BatmanRobin_Back.jpg

Now that's how you garner good faith with collectors; put out a poster of all the characters you intend to produce!

It begs the question, "What's the better way to offer Mr. Mxyzptlk; with a child-size Minimate body or as a sculpted, static accessory like Rocket Raccoon?"

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why Superman's on there twice (and are they really going to offer two Robin figures?) but it looks like we've got at least a third of those characters in Minimate form already.

Superboy

Duh. I should have known that. I even had two Superman Mego figures back in the day and designated the newer one Superboy just to justify having them.

I'm sure those are "it" for a lot of people, but 70's/80's designs never did much for me. I almost always prefer the modern looks (before nu52).

But if we're talking minimates, the DCAU looks translate best and are the most iconic IMO.

I'm having trouble thinking of costumes pre-New 52 that I don't like. My preference is for the stuff I grew up with, of course, but there are tons of animated designs that would look awesome. Suffice to say there's a universe of potential.

Warner Bros. knows Digger's no longer with the company, right? I'd hate to think that someone at DC or WBCP is still harboring ill will with Art Asylum because of

and doesn't know that the company's changed hands and is no longer associated with him.

My custom Titans from Luke are probably the crown jewels in my Minimate collection. Those characters and designs are perfect for illustrating the strength of Minimates.

As for two Robins, one is the young Dick as Superman's partner, and the other looks to be the older Dick from the New Teen Titans days. They would probably have different bodies, and certainly different head sculpts.

My custom Titans from Luke are probably the crown jewels in my Minimate collection. Those characters and designs are perfect for illustrating the strength of Minimates.

As for two Robins, one is the young Dick as Superman's partner, and the other looks to be the older Dick from the New Teen Titans days. They would probably have different bodies, and certainly different head sculpts.

Man, DC sure is playing fast and loose with continuity these days...

MisterPL,that's the second time that you've alluded to 'Digger' & DC .....what is this of which you speak ?

Digger pissed off WB/DC by sanctioning that Batman: New Times video without WB's approval. At a time when DC was trying to distance themselves from the campy silliness that was the Schumacher bat-flicks, Digger was endorsing an unauthorized DC Minimates movie featuring Adam West as the voice of Batman. C3 lost the DC license despite already having an entire line in the concept phase for Batman Begins.

I'm fairly certain Digger is the source of bad blood between DC and Art Asylum.

MisterPL,that's the second time that you've alluded to 'Digger' & DC .....what is this of which you speak ?

Digger pissed off WB/DC by sanctioning that Batman: New Times video without WB's approval. At a time when DC was trying to distance themselves from the campy silliness that was the Schumacher bat-flicks, Digger was endorsing an unauthorized DC Minimates movie featuring Adam West as the voice of Batman. C3 lost the DC license despite already having an entire line in the concept phase for Batman Begins.

I'm fairly certain Digger is the source of bad blood between DC and Art Asylum.

But DST is making Batman ’66 products now. So any bad blood MUST be gone by now, especially in regards to Adam West as Batman (unless WB plans to cut off ties to their Animation Department, WB Montreal, Funko, and Mattel for promoting campy Batman products)

I think the reason we don’t have DC minimates is Mezco holds the 2 inch figure license, otherwise we’d probably have Batman ’66 minimates and that’s all we'd really need anyway.

I don't think we have any bad blood. After C3 ended, DC paid DST to make Minimates for them for a few years. And while we didn't have a deal with Warner Bros directly, we definitely have one now.

I didn't realize the Batman TV merch sales were soft. Hopefully Batman TV does better as a high-end resin line than a mass-market action figure line.

So Zach... can you elaborate on why you guys can’t make Batman ’66 minimates?

I breaks my heart the one kind of DC minimates I’d actually want are theoretically within reach but for some reason not possible... I need closure to move on!

The license was not available? I assume existing WB licensors were given first crack, so when the 2" figure category wasn't locked up by Mattel, the primary DC figure licensor, then it was locked up by Mezco, the existing DC minifigure licensor at the time. Not sure we ever had a chance at it, really. NECA took the larger figure category, and we took resin, desk art and kitchenware.

I was surprised DC Collectibles didn't take anything, but I imagine the money it cost to get control of the show back from its other owner warranted maximum licensing royalties, and not keeping key categories in-house.

Edited by DSTZach

I was planning to get the Breaking Bad figures but honestly, these are not figures. They are chuncks of plastic that qualify neither as a statue, nor as a toy. Add to that the fact that they cost much more than they are worth and you've got yourself a bundle of failure. Honestly, Mezco just keeps licenses and doesn't do them justice, thus both not giving the people quality products, and not allowing other companies who can deliver to take a shot at said licenses.

Every other minifigure seems ridiculously overpriced compared to the value we get out of Minimates. Thanks to the greater articulation and accessories, we get more play value and more display value. I guess that's why Minimates move while wannabes like Mez-Itz tend to grow moss, at least in my store.

Yeah, I think Mezco and NECA keep their productions too low to keep up with demand. Anyone who knows me well enough, knows I'd love to see more DC Mates. Between the C3 stuff and helping out members I got sucked into the Minimate line. So I was one of the sadden few that miss this line. I don't know the particulars, I just wish DST could make it happen.

There's a 75th Anniversary display of Batman figures making the convention rounds, presumably from DC Collectibles.

Based on what's pictured here, it includes figures from Mattel, DC Direct, DC Collectibles, LEGO, NECA, Mez-Itz, Funko, Blammoids, Hallmark ornaments, bobble heads, even wooden figures… but no DC Minimates.

But I'm sure it's just an oversight. whistling.gif

Maybe if anyone sees it at an upcoming convention, they could ask why Batman Minimates from Art Asylum weren't included in this showcase. Not enough room? dry.png