UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates & everlasting optimism

buttheadsmate

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like the new 52 costumes.That's why i want them to come back now,i want the new costumes.I never really liked the underwear look honestly.Also i never understood the american appereance of Wonder Woman.Why would an Amazon wear an American (kinda) flag?Could someone fill that up for me?

*ignores context of rest of post and puts baghead on ignore list*

Hey, ignore me all you want... they threw Galileo in prison for his radical views and guess what HE WAS RIGHT! I have no idea how that relates to my point though.

Also i never understood the american appereance of Wonder Woman.Why would an Amazon wear an American (kinda) flag?Could someone fill that up for me?

Because Wonder Woman has always had a stupid costume, that’s why, the color combination is the least of her problems as someone needs to give the poor woman some actual clothes before we nitpick how she colors them (it looks like, if Google is to be trusted, she’s already given up long pants for booty shorts again, so I don’t think that’s going to happen anytime soon. Sorry Wondie, no one’s going to take your movie seriously...)

*Kostisfire's post read in entirely and fully understood. . .added to ignore list*

So now you can't see my posts,right?Okay,now i'll say something mean and nasty like...like..uhm...i'll come up with something and then you will be sorry you put me in the ignored list.You hurt my feelings :( *sniff* *sniff*

*ignores context of rest of post and puts baghead on ignore list*

Hey, ignore me all you want... they threw Galileo in prison for his radical views and guess what HE WAS RIGHT! I have no idea how that relates to my point though.

Also i never understood the american appereance of Wonder Woman.Why would an Amazon wear an American (kinda) flag?Could someone fill that up for me?

Because Wonder Woman has always had a stupid costume, that's why, the color combination is the least of her problems as someone needs to give the poor woman some actual clothes before we nitpick how she colors them (it looks like, if Google is to be trusted, she's already given up long pants for booty shorts again, so I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. Sorry Wondie, no one's going to take your movie seriously...)

I would have preffered a more warrior like costume than a bikini.

The biggest problem I've seen over the years with the 'bring back DC' way of thinking is that most people tend to look at DC or DC Direct and try to apply logic to how those comapanies are run and marketed. That is where their thinking is flawed. Can DC mates return? Of course they can, especially when you consider the line was dead before as C3 and 'returned' with a much better release plan. Can DC see the potential profit in a well done Minimates line and see the error in how they ruined the line before? Doubtful. If they can't do it in other lines, why shold this be any different.

Like many of the members here, I hope DC mates will be released once again, but I draw the line at thinking that the folks at DC know how to market themselves and their characters in the best way possible to make the most profit and give fans and collectors what they want. Until they get a clue overall about what they're marketing, DC Minimates have little chance of seeing the light of day again.

I'm not sure I want the current Powers That Be at DC to have anything to do with DC Minimates either, to be honest. As much of a success that The New 52 has been, I'd like some classic incarnations of characters, too. I applauded DCD's variety if only because it demonstrated a willingness to pick from all aspects of the DCU, past, present, and even Elseworlds.

DST's current business model seems to be working quite nicely for them. Some of the properties are hit and miss but that's the nature of the business. Marvel's certainly a success story.

Personally I think it might be worth it to petition TRU for DC Minimates. If they're having trouble moving Mez-Itz at $12 a set featuring figures with five points of articulation and little play value but Minimates are moving well, maybe their buyer can approach WBCP on DST's behalf.

That reminds me: When DC Direct offered Minimates, their MSRP was $2 higher than Marvel's. My LCS owner said there was no way he could move them at that price so he dropped them closer to whatever Marvel's was at the time. So either DC's sales margin was ridiculously higher back then or the costs of using AA as a third-party manufacturer was too high to keep the retail down.

Yeah, that's a good point. I don't think DST did the manufacturing, though; I think AA was used purely as a design studio (which is the same thing they did with the never-made Dr. Who 'mates). I can't imagine that the design fees AA charged would be that much; maybe DC Direct used a more expensive factory? Or they just jacked up the MSRP for no good reason? I'm going with the latter.

EDIT: This looks out of context but the quotes got really long, forgive me

Wonder Woman is nigh-invulnerable, and made out of clay. Technically she isn't an Amazon either, and there's no reason for her to protect her body.

That's the one argument i hate that people say about comics and Wonder Woman: too scantily clad and how disgusting it is. She's not even human. Even in the 52 she's a God. You really want an accurate Wonder Woman? She should prance around with her breasts exposed like old Greece, then. :rolleyes:

The colors i just justify as she tried to fit in at first, her first American contact was Steve Trevor, a military man, so she adopted something American to appear a friendly.

But there's really nothing wrong with Wonder Woman. (except the pointless Black Canary choker. She needs to ditch that)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Personally I think it might be worth it to petition TRU for DC Minimates. If they're having trouble moving Mez-Itz at $12 a set featuring figures with five points of articulation and little play value but Minimates are moving well, maybe their buyer can approach WBCP on DST's behalf.

I've thought that too. Remember, DST only did Sony 'mates because TRU wanted them. I think if TRU were to use their muscle on DC (or Lucas, or the WWE), we might see some movement.

Wonder Woman is nigh-invulnerable, and made out of clay. Technically she isn't an Amazon either, and there's no reason for her to protect her body.

That's the one argument i hate that people say about comics and Wonder Woman: too scantily clad and how disgusting it is. She's not even human. Even in the 52 she's a God. You really want an accurate Wonder Woman? She should prance around with her breasts exposed like old Greece, then. :rolleyes:

The colors i just justify as she tried to fit in at first, her first American contact was Steve Trevor, a military man, so she adopted something American to appear a friendly.

But there's really nothing wrong with Wonder Woman. (except the pointless Black Canary choker. She needs to ditch that)

George Perez did a very good job explaining why her costume has a patriotic theme in the early issues of his run (still far and away the definitive WW).

The choker could serve the same symbolic purpose as the bracelets; as a memorial to the slavery of the Amazons at the hands of men. Just a thought.

I figured it was suggesting that women were like dogs in relation to men. Exist to serve, should be obedient, need to be domesticated in order to be useful, not particularly intelligent but can accomplish basic, useful tasks if trained appropriately, etc.

She should prance around with her breasts exposed like old Greece, then. :rolleyes:

That wouldn't be that bad actually.

Yes, but if you wqere being accurate, not only would she be topless, but you'd have to factor in her age and how that would affect her toplessness. Topless woman who is centuries old? I'll pass.

This is true, but you have to remember that it's carryover from the previous costume just prior to the 52, when she wore pants, boots, and a leather jacket, with a very old Black Canary hair style.

I don't trust DC enough to believe they researched enough to put Greek slavery references into the design, especially with Jim Lee in charge of it.

She should prance around with her breasts exposed like old Greece, then. :rolleyes:

That wouldn't be that bad actually.

Yes, but if you wqere being accurate, not only would she be topless, but you'd have to factor in her age and how that would affect her toplessness. Topless woman who is centuries old? I'll pass.

Since she is a godess she could be a brunette,topless Aphrodite.

George Perez did a very good job explaining why her costume has a patriotic theme in the early issues of his run (still far and away the definitive WW).

One of my favorite interpretation of the character. Some really good storytelling came out of that and the initial Superman and Batman runs. Back on point. Yep, AA was farmed out to do the DC Mates. I can't remember the exact time line, but it felt like once DST bought AA the DC Mates were cancelled? I definitely feel that given DST track record with the rest of Mate lines it isn't out of the impossible for them to create the same success with DC Mates. Is it a long shot, you bet. Still, one can only hope someone somewhere pulls their head out and gives it a shot.

My favorite Wonder Woman incarnation is actually the animated movie. I really love mythology, and that Wonder Woman just molded in seamlessly into the DCAU. If there were a live action movie like that, I think it would do great. Of course, I'd be wrong, considering that was their lowest selling DC animation. :(

Actually, you know, the Best Buy pack-ins would be a great place for Minimates, as opposed to the useless static tiny figurines that they've been giving us. It would be a small sample size, and since Best Buy (I assume) contracts them, DST might be able to cut out DC all together. They could try it with the Marvel animated movies and see as a test run.

Perfect spot. But it won't happen. :/

George Perez had Wonder Woman flying nude over Massachusetts at night early in that run.

My favorite Wonder Woman incarnation is actually the animated movie. I really love mythology, and that Wonder Woman just molded in seamlessly into the DCAU. If there were a live action movie like that, I think it would do great. Of course, I'd be wrong, considering that was their lowest selling DC animation. :(

Fans rave about that movie. I really need to check it out. Still don't understand why WB Animation gets stories SO right but the live-action folks get it wrong every time. (Except for Batman, which I'm convinced is a fluke.)

Actually, you know, the Best Buy pack-ins would be a great place for Minimates, as opposed to the useless static tiny figurines that they've been giving us. It would be a small sample size, and since Best Buy (I assume) contracts them, DST might be able to cut out DC all together.

That seems like a viable idea. As a pack-in, DST could get some exposure through Warner Home Video. They wouldn't be a licensee (similar to DCD's arrangement) but they'd still need to go through licensor approval through WBCP. A Minimate would have a hell of a lot more play value than those static figures. I'd have bought that WW video if it had a Minimate figure based on that appearance. But if you're looking for a better retail value, add Steve Trevor to that mix and watch the videos fly off the shelves.

I'll chime in long enough to say that I wouldn't have much interest in DC 'mates if they were the DCnU costumes. As it is, I've gone from reading 95% of DC's books since around 1998 to reading 10% after trying to force myself to read the new universe material. Just don't enjoy it at all... and more times than not it has nothing to do with the art. It's the material... the changes they've made. I just can't get into it and Lord knows I've tried to. *wasted my money*

Still, if they returned only to make DCnU 'mates, that's good for the people that dig that look. I won't say I don't want DC to make 'em unless they're a certain way. They own the characters and can work them (or ruin them, in my opinion) as they see fit.

Edited by Mystery Man

Fortunately the licensing program still has plenty of classic DC goodness available. (That includes retro/Silver Age mainstays.) If it means we'll get classic and movie versions TOO, I'll add a few DCnU 'mates to my collection. I don't mind variety. That goes for Star Trek as well.

These continue to be the most passionate threads around here. Seriously, thank you to everyone for a fun read. :)

Until Saint Walker is killed off and stays dead for a decade.. I retain hope. :P

Edited by The Vox

• 4 weeks later...

nothing to get too excited about, but this is from the TNI DCC Q & A coverage

Will we ever see DC Minimates?

No plans right now but you never know. They have ones made that were never released. They may show some pictures of those at some point online to see how much interest in them there might be.

I know I've seen a couple drawing (can't remember who ATM), I wonder if there are more.

• 1 year later...

I asked DST Twitter account if we would get some Batman 66 Minimates since they got the license to make a few things for them and they said no a couple weeks back.

So bummed out about that.

ermm.gif

• 5 weeks later...