UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates & everlasting optimism

buttheadsmate

Nervous, I'm sorry you're so down about this, but I really don't understand the logic of:

"I know Wendy's doesn't sell tacos, but I'm so discouraged by their lack of tacos that I don't order their hamburgers - which I like, just not as much as tacos."

I mean... I like tacos, too, man. But don't let the lack thereof ruin the deliciousness of a triple with bacon

Edited by Mnemosis

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nervous, I'm sorry you're so down about this, but I really don't understand the logic of:

"I know Wendy's doesn't sell tacos, but I'm so discouraged by their lack of tacos that I don't order their hamburgers - which I like, just not as much as tacos."

I mean... I like tacos, too, man. But don't let the lack thereof ruin the deliciousness of a triple with bacon

But.... what if they used to sell tacos... and they were my favorite food from Wendy's or any fast food place, and I only ate their burgers because I loved the tacos so much, plus I was already there anyway and wanted something different every once in awhile. So,now, if Wendy's only sells something that I only kinda liked, why would I keep going back? I like to customize, but its getting harder to turn a burger into a taco... ;-)

Here's the deal, I only read one marvel comic. If I'm being honest, I only truly care about a handful of Marvel CHaracters. The ones I still want, like Hyperion, Gladiator, Nighthawk, all have the look for what I want in a superhero, capes and masks, and super duper power, etc... just not enough capes in Marvel.

The thing that has kept me going for so long is that i love the minimates as toys. and i love to customize them into Stuff that i like (which mostly will never be made by DST. I've been holding off on doing any DC mates customs (besides chroming a few helmets and such) because i really want them to bring back the tacos... ahem... i mean the DC comics license. I knew about, or at least heard about what the holdup had been in the past, and figured with new people in charge it was only a matter of time. I don't feel that way anymore. My gut is telling me its never going to happen again. So, as i said before, with every con that comes and goes, my enthusiasm for new stuff goes down more and more. I do love minimates, and have probably a few thousand at this point. There are tons of customs i still want to do. So, I'm not really going anywhere, I just don't see myself buying too many new ones from now on.

Unless .... never say never, am i right?

-NR

I suppose I can understand where you're coming from. I didn't care about animals that transformed into robots because I missed the vehicles that transformed into robots.

Still, don't let yourself sleep on wave 60. There's to much greatness there.

I hate to be negative with anything, especially on a toy forum (especially in a thread about optimism).For me personally, I'm afraid i'll be out of minimates altogether by the time the license comes back. It actually brings me down more every time a con comes and goes without any DC comics minimates (I'd also like animated) to the point where I'm losing interest on stuff that I'd love otherwise. I really like the looks of NBX, and I'm sure I'll love the Muppets, but the lack of DC (please don't bring up Gotham) has me down on even these.

I went to free comic book day to my usual shop over the weekend, planning on getting the brotherhood wave. All they had left was a blob pack, he said the whole case moved pretty fast which is good for them...... but for me, I shrugged my shoulders, put the blob pack down and moved on..... for the first time since i've been collecting mates i truly didnt give a shit that i wasnt able to get them. and its a pretty sweet wave! I can say honestly that 75% of that is for the constant lack of DC minimates, which flat out disappoints me.

I don't know, or pretend to know what the hangup is, but it just seems like a no brainer to pump out DC minimates. My personal feeling is that its got more to do with just licensing.

oh well, Thats all from yours truly, Debbie Downer

Um... I'm afraid I'm probably at least partially the reason only the Blob was left. blush.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

One other thing occurred to me.

If Mattel is unloading categories in an attempt to reduce its annual guarantee to WBCP, they may also be dropping properties to align with the products they're focusing on. For example, if they're only interested in SuperHero Girls (which makes sense for the House That Barbie™ Built), there's no need for them to pay for the ENTIRE DC stable of properties. Some of those properties might now be available in a Minimates-friendly category.

Once again, Young Justice leaps to mind. I can't imagine Mattel being the least bit interested in offering that DC property again. Not only did their toy line underperform but it was blamed for the cancellation of the cartoon. With a new season on DC Universe and a comic to promote it, this is the kind of foot-in-the-door property that could allow DST to offer DC's most popular characters.

It's worth a conversation, Chuck!

I take partial responsibility.

Back when DC had their own message board, there was a member on the DC Direct forum who desperately wanted a Ma Hunkel action figure. Plenty of other relatively obscure characters managed to get made (that was DCD's niche) but they always passed over the Golden Age Red Tornado. Many of us supported this guy's desire and asked for a plastic Hunkel at every opportunity, almost as a running joke. It was the Minimate tiger of the board.

When DCD offered Minimates, they included this 2-pack based on those requests. I won't apologize since it's one of those ridiculously rare figures of an almost forgotten character. And it put a smile on at least one collector's face.

4 hours ago, Chooch said:

Jim Beard!  Yeah, his love of Ma was something of a banner for getting lesser-known figures made.  He went on to write and edit a bunch of stuff.  You can look him up on Amazon.

Yup! Jim was always a fun guy to chat toys with. "The good old days..."

I love the Ma Hunkel 'mate! The fact that we were able to get so many classic and modern JSA-ers is one of the reasons why I loved the DC line so much. It could've been flooded with the most basic of characters, but they went balls to the wall right away and I appreciate that. 

On 1/3/2019 at 6:15 AM, MisterPL said:

if they're only interested in SuperHero Girls (which makes sense for the House That Barbie™ Built)

People keep using “Superhero Girls” as the example of Mattel keeping the girl’s DC license... that line dead, y’all

Mattel so bad as everything ALL their “(concept)... But in High School!” lines is DEAD! Ever After High? DEAD! (Killed by a targeted assault by Disney which is why I don’t believe the Marvel/Star Wars rumors could happen.) Monster High? DEAD (and not in the the kooky spooky way the line used to be about like not “Dead... and having the time of their unlives!” but DEAD as in stores no longer devote any space to products and Mattel no longer produces said product, Dead!) DC Superhero Girls?! Yup, DEAD! (actually been dead for a while too, it burnt out like SUPER fast, I’m surprised the Marvel ones still exist, I wonder if Hasbro just understands the market better or if those are gonna die in the next year too.)

The only thing likely to come out of them keeping the girl’s DC license is one or two Barbie style dolls for Wonder Woman ’84, which is waaaaaaaay sadder than them keeping the license because it was tied to a thriving franchise. 

but to get back on topic (Sees not only is Batman in ‘the Lego Movie: the Second Part’ but also Harley Quinn and TWO Aquamans?!) yeah, Mattel losing the license doesn’t affect Minimates at all...

• 2 weeks later...

even IF dst could get back into dc minimates where would they sell them?  comic shops? we havent had mates in most shops in a long time and i think they would remember the last dc minimates that they got stuck with and pass on new ones, Walgreens? heck they cant sell the old marvels that are clogging up their shelves and dont get in new ones because of them.

I really cant see DST getting any new licensees and honestly i think its just a short amount of time before they stop making any minimates at all.

Edited by Mattallica