UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Minimates & everlasting optimism

buttheadsmate

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to put this in the modified minimates thread but it was in the marvel section. Since it's D.C. I'll just put it here. Has anyone else done this

Edited by Zak Katz

The Wonder Woman minimate was released, in DC Wave 3, exactly 8 years ago ......this post-638-0-01462400-1429305980_thumb.jpg was released..... in Marvel Wave 14..... a month earlier .

Which one would you like in your collection today .

The Wonder Woman minimate is perhaps my favourite-of all-time Minimate . Gorgeous.......great review Zak.

A long time ago the head of dcd at the time decided to not continue making dc mates. Then another company signed a license to the rights to make small scale block figures based on DC and has had it since then.

Nothing sinister here just past business still in effect.

Well... a long time before that a certain founder of Art Asylum decided to make a Batman movie without DC's permission or approval, a movie featuring Adam West as the Caped Crusader at a time when that incarnation was strictly off limits.

But it appears we're all past that now. Digger's gone. Brewer's gone. WB is embracing Batman '66 and DST even has the license.

Times are changing.

Most companies don't like to discuss terms of their agreements but in my experience it's been at least two years. Depends on the category since some products take longer to develop than others. (Lost in Space, for example. The Minimates have a much quicker turnaround than the electronic Robot B-9.)

Hey guys, I rarely post here but like to give my 2 cents on the issue.

I don't really understand how it works. everytime someone ask DST about DC minimates they refer them to ask DC Comics. Doesn't work both ways? DST persude a property for their license?

If a certain building block company currently holds the rights for DC block figures, then how does Marvel and Nickelodeon(Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) allow DST to make minimates and still allow another building block company make the same characters? And how do we explain Sponge Bob....

There are a variety of different product categories, some of which overlap.

For example, Art Asylum couldn't offer standalone Minimates of DC characters because Hasbro had the action figure license at the time. But no one had the construction set license so they created C3 as a way to get DC Minimates into the market; as accessories to the brick sets.

From what I gather, DST wants to offer DC Minimates. Obviously DC wants to offer Minimates or we wouldn't have Gotham on the way. But the license for this specific product category (which I imagine is action figures of a certain height sold within a specific market) is currently held by Mezco. Until that agreement runs out, no one else but DC Collectibles can offer DC Minimates (and since the previous arrangement with DC Direct didn't meet expectations, that's unlikely).

They showed off a few new mezitz at toy fair, like captain cold and a few others.

Certainly not a lot of merch though, but showing those off tells me they at least will have the license long enough for those mezitz to come out and long enough to be in stores to sell. unless some other opportunities pop up we are still going to be waiting a while guys.

I was thinking specifically of the specialty market in North America.

Obviously there's Mattel, too, but... I'd say their hold on the DC license is a crapshoot. They certainly need it given how they've fallen out of favor with Disney but they've never been particularly good at developing Boys Toys outside of diecast, especially DC properties lately.

And while I know that DST prefers to go after more than the "Minimates" category when acquiring licenses, DC would probably be an exception. With DC TV and films poised to challenge Marvel's movie monopoly, there's much more than comics to draw from.

I hate to be negative with anything, especially on a toy forum (especially in a thread about optimism).For me personally, I'm afraid i'll be out of minimates altogether by the time the license comes back. It actually brings me down more every time a con comes and goes without any DC comics minimates (I'd also like animated) to the point where I'm losing interest on stuff that I'd love otherwise. I really like the looks of NBX, and I'm sure I'll love the Muppets, but the lack of DC (please don't bring up Gotham) has me down on even these.

I went to free comic book day to my usual shop over the weekend, planning on getting the brotherhood wave. All they had left was a blob pack, he said the whole case moved pretty fast which is good for them...... but for me, I shrugged my shoulders, put the blob pack down and moved on..... for the first time since i've been collecting mates i truly didnt give a shit that i wasnt able to get them. and its a pretty sweet wave! I can say honestly that 75% of that is for the constant lack of DC minimates, which flat out disappoints me.

I don't know, or pretend to know what the hangup is, but it just seems like a no brainer to pump out DC minimates. My personal feeling is that its got more to do with just licensing.

oh well, Thats all from yours truly, Debbie Downer

If you leave Minimates, it sounds like DC would drag you back in. devil.gif

And I agreed previously that the issue had more to do with just licensing but it seems those circumstances have changed as certain players have moved on. Like it or not, Gotham shows a willingness on both sides to get DC Minimates out there.

I just saw what DC product Mezco offered at Toy Fair. The clock is ticking... impatient.gif