UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Definitive Marvel Minimate Collection

fatcow

I always kinda liked the New X-Men. Not particularly good, and it didn't last that long, but this cover was kinda iconic in my childhood.

jean-grey-wolverine.jpg

A- you make me feel old.

B- I totally agree. I would love nothing else than to finish the New X-Men era team. Unfortunately, I think you and I are in the minority here.

B- That would totally be awesome. But like you said. It's just not that popular. It'd be like finishing off the Ultimates at this point.

A- I guess I wasn't really a kid, but felt like a kid. If that makes sense. :P

I kinda felt the same way when i started to get into the marvel ones a few years ago. I just ended up getting the characters I like and the other minimates I thought looked cool when i saw them. And you have all the DC ones? I've been wanting to get a wave 2 batman forever but the guy is always so expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

I always kinda liked the New X-Men. Not particularly good, and it didn't last that long, but this cover was kinda iconic in my childhood.

jean-grey-wolverine.jpg

I just never understood why Logan claws were out. Were they afraid we wouldn't know who it was without them?

I'm guessing it made for a more dynamic look to the cover which would translate to it demanding slightly more as a piece of original art. Is that Michael Turner? I've read all of New X-men but I don't really remember where that cover was used in it. Maybe before 'Murder at the Mansion'?

And depending on which versions of the characters you want, and the fashion in which you prefer your 'mates, the 'Best of' wave isn't a bad option as Wookiefodder mentioned. The Spidey is basically what you'd get from buying the Classic Punisher TRU set (excluding the nice Peter Parker head he includes) but that Green Goblin is one of the best options for that character and different enough from the old Villains boxset to earn a look (I have one of them serve as Norman and the other as Harry in my collection). I don't have the Wolvy/Sabretooth set but Thor/Cap and Iron Man/Thing are all high quality rereleases even if they risk driving some of us crazy with their tiny, tiny tweaks. I found all three of those sets at C2E2 this year for $5 a piece and now only regret not snatching up Wolverine and Sabretooth.

Since you're already looking at the wave 44/Kang set Cap, I'd also side on the Stormbringer set recommendation if you aren't in the mood for the more dynamic cape of the Thor from that wave/set. You get Beta Ray Bill as well as great versions of Loki and Sif in the bargain.

Hawkeye just got his best version yet/ever in the Disney store sets and I don't doubt we'll be seeing the AvX poll version of Scarlet Witch somehow. You can still find the old one, packed with Quicksilver, if you look hard enough. Black Widow's movie 'mates look fine though you could just put her accessories, head, and (maybe) hair on a C3 Catwoman for a slightly more comic accurate take.

My favorite Hulk is still the Defenders one, though I can't quite say why. I'm guessing it's the expression. That set has also has the perfect Dr. Strange in it, but it commands a pretty penny these days. If you're looking for a uniform looking X-team, you can't go wrong with what Geohound has pictured; while I think at least 50% of why those looks are so fondly remembered is because they're the ones from the 90's cartoon, they're also popular enough that people will know what you're talking about it if you ask at a dealer's booth.

BTW, I'd also love to complete the New X-men; heck, I wouldn't care if they started over since it's been so long. I love that run all the way up to 'Here comes Tomorrow' which, while having an awesome title and being full of tons of crazy ideas, was a little too out there for me somehow.

Edited by lemonfreshviper22

jean-grey-wolverine.jpg

I just never understood why Logan claws were out. Were they afraid we wouldn't know who it was without them?

I'm guessing it made for a more dynamic look to the cover which would translate to it demanding slightly more as a piece of original art. Is that Michael Turner? I've read all of New X-men but I don't really remember where that cover was used in it. Maybe before 'Murder at the Mansion'?

I believe it was Ian Churchill on an early revamp issue of Uncanny X-Men, 392-ish. It was when Joe Casey started the book before unceremoniously leaving and being replaced by Chuck Austen.

I believe it was Ian Churchill on an early revamp issue of Uncanny X-Men, 392-ish. It was when Joe Casey started the book before unceremoniously leaving and being replaced by Chuck Austen.

No joke, huh? Awesome! Churchill's one of the best Turner imitators, which is probably why he did so much work on Batman/Superman. Makes perfect sense! Churchill's 'Marineman' series at Image showed off that he was a lot more versatile than just aping someone else's style. Really cartoony and drastically different looking stuff in that book. Also, thanks for reminding about Austen, I'd kind of forgotten why I drifted away from X-books so drastically after New X-men wrapped up; I definitely remember now!

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please share the link of BHM's collection? I never saw these but heard he has more minimates than anyone.

More Minimates than anyone,did he say that ? If he did then he's just a lying oldfart .....I know I live with him :biggrin:

Edited by bunny69

Can someone please share the link of BHM's collection? I never saw these but heard he has more minimates than anyone.

More Minimates than anyone,did he say that ? If he did then he's just a lying oldfart .....I know I live with him :biggrin:

Get back in the kitchen.

I'm... the... WHAT?! :unsure:

:woot:

I'm a new user, so I hope this is the right place to ask. I'm looking to complete a Champions team. Can someone tell me which Iceman is the version to get for this? Thanks.

I would say either X-Factor:

fig0886flg.jpg

or

Frosted

fig0077flg.jpg

Both are the right color. Frosted is a variant so that might be harder to find. But X-factor has X uniform lines on his chest, so that may be a dealbreaker.

I'm a new user, so I hope this is the right place to ask. I'm looking to complete a Champions team. Can someone tell me which Iceman is the version to get for this? Thanks.

I would say either X-Factor:

fig0886flg.jpg

or

Frosted

fig0077flg.jpg

Both are the right color. Frosted is a variant so that might be harder to find. But X-factor has X uniform lines on his chest, so that may be a dealbreaker.

I have the unfrosted, blue-tinted version of that Iceman myself as my definitive one simply because he also has an X buckle on him that occasionally popped up on him in the 90s. Both the Frosted and Unfrosted versions though are definitely 90s Iceman in look to me...the face just screams Jim Lee...

Now I wish they'd make an un-iced 90s Iceman... >_>

Edited by MST3KFan

Get back in the kitchen.

I'm... the... WHAT?! :unsure:

:woot:

BHM did you forget to lock the cellar again! :whistling:

Edited by MiniFiend UK

Can anyone here show me the link or Thread that has ButtHeadMates Collection? I believe this senior member is the only person with a collection larger than mine on this site and I am in the process of wrapping up my collection pics. Unfortunately I had to break them up into lots to make them all fit in my pictures to still show detail.

Very Curious how one would show case huge/complete collections. I personally had to take my mates down and lay them out in my living room carpet. Otherwise it would have been like 25 pics of small sets/displays on the wall.

Edited by highassroller

The thread which that link will take you to was in essence a self-parody of some of the stuff in my collection.....I think most people got the idea.

Check out nigh on any thread over the years where you see pictures of even the smallest collection of Minimates & you'll most likely see me posting how much I love seeing the pictures....'cause I do .

Who gives a stuff whether mine is this or that ? TBH it is usually just a bunch of boxes that I rarely get the time to enjoy........so let's have a look at yours please! :biggrin:

Edited by buttheadsmate