UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

CaptainPaco's Custom Minimates (Star Trek & DC plus more)

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can now share my Major Kira Nerys from DS9.

fX5PciT.jpg

I do have her earring painted on her ear but you can't see it from this angle.

I used a male hair piece because of the type of cut she had on the show, none of the female ones I have worked for it.

I hope it looks good, I like it and she is now on display with my other Star Trek Minimates.

I still need to get a good picture of Seven of Nine and I will have her on here soon.

Guinan is still a work in progress but I am getting closer to having her done.

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

And Finally Here is Seven of Nine

JQ0feBW.jpg

I opted to make her in her blue outfit because I have enough silver colored custom minimates. I painted a Khan hairpiece yellow for her hair and then I used silver for the occular implant and for her assimilation tubes.

I am very happy with her and so I am now waiting for a Cmdr Sisko body from BannersID so I can try to make either Tuvok or Kim then I think I will be done with Voyager customs for a while.

I am still working on Guinan and then hope to make a Doctor Bashir once I get another Cpt Sisko body.

I hope you like Seven and thank you for allowing me to share my Love of Star Trek Minimates with you all.

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

Well, I am having a terrible time getting my Guinan body to hold the paint. There are so many layers of paint on it now I am afraid it will not turn out how I was hoping. If anyone has any advice for removing Testor's paint from minimat body and accessories (skirt), I would appreciate any advice on fixing my issue.

I did have a good time this week in making a Montgomery Scott from the original series in dress uniform (with the kilt). I just have to add the insignia on his chest and the cloth over his shoulder then he will be finished. I hope to have him photographed soon and on display here on my post.

Just wanted to share where I was at this point in my customizing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I am sorry got busy with work and church and family functions.

I have Guinan just about finished, had major issues with her. I had to scrap the body I was working on and do over. Then the toughest part was her bizarre hats. I can't get the blasted hat to dry as it remains very tacky to the touch and I am just not sure I can put her in the display without getting her coloring on my other mates.

I have a TOS Scotty in his dress uniform (with the kilt) but I am nto sure about getting the gold detail on his chest as they are so small and I am not sure I can paint that little.

I am also working on an Orion Female officer from the TOS era but I wanted her in command gold so I am not sure how to alter the chest without damaging the insignia. I will have her done likely before I display the other two.

Also, My Stratosphere phone, which is what I used to take my nicer looking pictures, suffered a malfuction in which somehow the screen got cracked and I am not sure how it happened when it was not hit against anything. Anyway, Verizon won't replace it and it is not even 4 months old, so I am on the phone I was using before my upgrade. Now I am stuck with 28 month old 3G phone and I was on a 4G LTE phone until the malfunction. Anyway, Verizon is on my last nerve and come the end of my contract I will be switching to US Cellular.

But I hope to have images of Guinan and TOS Scotty in his dress uniform up to share very soon.

Hope you are all doing great.

Captain Paco

Are you priming before you paint? The best primer I've found is Tamiya's grey primer although I've had good success with Testor's grey primer too. I'd avoid Citadel white primer as it's slightly texturized and doesn't lend itself to smooth paint apps. As for paint itself, I like Citadel paints (from Games Workshop) the best - I've never had issues with them not drying or stacking 'tacky'. If you haven't used them before you should give them a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Fujis for the recommendation. I did not prime Guinan's hat and it now broke on me so I have to start over. I will try to make it and paint it then apply to her headpeice.

Any ideas for a Santa hat and a witch's hat that work with Minimate heads that don't have to sculpted? I am not good at sculpting and would like to find some that are ready made.

I have been collecting the Monster Minimates and the Monster Lego Minifigures and I would like to get a Witch Minimate. I am also wanting a Santa hat for my custom Santa that is made and ready for display but I need a hat for him. I have an idea for a Minimate Witch but the hat is what is holding me back from starting her.

I know I have primarily focused this to my Star Trek minimates but I am branching out to Holiday themed Mates now. Once I get a Santa hat I will post my custom. Same goes for the witch. I still owe an image of TOS Scotty in his dress uniform (with the kilt) but still need to get his chest insignia on him.

Sorry for the delay, but someday soon they will be posted.

Here is Guinan. I finally finished her.

QfhcFzO.jpg

She a mix of parts and a custom hat. I had to over-do the hat because she always had a strange taste in her headdresses.  I have her long black locks hanging out in the back. I appologize that I don't have a wonderful image. My Samsung Stratosphere got damaged and I can't afford a replacement so I had to downgrade to my Samsung Reality and the camera is not very good.

When I can get a better camera, I will replace the images with better ones.

I will get TOS Scotty in dress uniform done soon, I promise as well as Dr. Bashir.

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

• 1 month later...

Okay, it has been a little while since I was able to post anything.

I promise I will post my Santa Minimate and Dress Uniform Scotty soon.

Have a great day.

Edited by Captain Paco

I have decided I will hold off on finishing my custom TOS dress uniform Scotty (only need chest detail) so I will share picture of him next week.
I have been reworking my TNG LaForge and will also have a new image of him to share next week as well. I took the idea suggested and I cut the visor off of a Cyclops hairpeice and will be using that. Thank you to whomever suggested that.

I know I still have not posted images in a while, but I will get images posted once I get a nicer camera to snap nice images and we will go from there.

I am making the Cast of "Once Upon A Time" in their Storybrooke likenesses. I don't have the talent nor the funds to attempt to make them as they appear in the Enchanted Woods.

rc0M3e3.jpg

I am sorry but this image may appear blurring. I have made some modificaitons to several of the characters and will post an updated picture at some point in the future.

In this picture you have Mary Margaret Blanchard (Snow White), David Nolan (Prince Charming), Dr. Archie Hopper (Jiminy Cricket), Sheriff Graham (the Huntsman), Regina Mills (The Evil Queen), Mr. Gold (Rumblestiltskin), Ruby (Little Red Riding Hood), August W. Booth (Pinnochio), Emma Swan (Emma Charming), Jefferson (The Mad Hatter), Sidney Glass (The Magic Mirror/Genie), & Belle (Belle/Beauty). I have made changes to Ruby, Belle, Sidney and have added Dr. Whale (Dr. Frankenstein), Granny (Little Red Riding Hood's Grandmother).

I will set up a pose of my Holiday Themed Minimate Customs with the Universal Monsters and Walking Dead mates when I get the better camera.

I am still trying to figure out how to make Dr. Bashir from DS9 but I am not happy with the head and hair I have at this time but I will be working on it. I am hopping I can figure something out to be able to purchase two of the Minimate Enterprises when they are available. I want one to open and one to keep sealed.

I am going to attempt to make a Gorgon and I have the first part of my needed parts coming in next week but the second major part doesn't even go on sale until later.

I am glad I have this place to share my love of minimates. I only hope you all find my customs as acceptable. Thank you for all you have done just by letting me share here.

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

Captain paco,

Thanks for sharing your work. Your minimates are looking great! I enjoy reading your posts about the challenges you run into making customs. As far as sculpting goes I'd recommend purchasing some apoxie sculpt from Luke's toy store and just dive right in. I dreaded sculpting too but apoxie is such an amazing substance- if you mess up you can always apply a small drop of water and reshape it to your liking. It doesn't shrink upon drying or crack, bonds perfectly to minimates (no need for glue) and dries with a little shine to give it a plastic look. I'd also recommend using plastic gloves as it can be a little sticky but not too bad. Also a set of dentist tools comes in handy for getting those tiny intricate details. I ordered a 1/4 lb. from Luke and it lasted me a whole year. Worth it if you are having trouble tracking down those exact parts you are looking for. Just my two cents. (:

Luke, Thank you for your kind words about my "Once Upon a Time: Storybrooke" Customs.

I will be adding new photos soon as I tweeked a few and now have Granny and Dr. Whale to add to the set.

I hope to post individual photos of each character and a new image of the group.

Also to come individual photos of my Santa, Witch and Prince of Darkness and TOS Scotty in dress uniform.

I hope to one day make more customs but I am out of ideas for right now.

I will be ordering my Enterprise from you soon and hope to get a KITT soon, too.

Thank you for following my posts.

Finally; here is my Custom Scotty in dress uniform.

SOMIRtA.jpg

This is the version with him in the red stockings and shoes (only I did not feel like painting the buckles on the shoes).

I used artistic licensing on the kilt but attempted for the look that I could make out of the images of him I could find.

I did not do any of the uniform's chest insignia. Not comfortable with the scale of the design to risk it for now.

My new version of TNG's Lt. Cmdr. Geordi LaForge.

FAD4c4d.jpg

I took a visor from a Cyclops and painted it gold and glued it to a Commander Sisko head. I am glad that someone suggested that. It looks better than my painted on visor.

More to come as soon as I can for the customs of Once Upon A Time: Storybrooke characters and my Halloween and Santa mates.

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

3UteAqY.jpg

I am calling her Wanda. I felt I needed a witch to go with my Universal Monster Minimates. Now I only need a Skeleton.

f797jT9.jpg

I am calling him the Prince of Darkness. I was tinkering with my spare mates and felt I needed a devilish minimate.

Hope you enjoy these better images of my handy-work.

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

Early I know, but here is a holiday custom I made.

Z45f5cf.jpg

I do plan to make a bag for him to hold but I am going to try to make it out of cloth and then find some miniature items to place inside of it.

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am sorry I have not added any new images of customs I have made. I have been trying to come up with an entry for the Dynamic Duos Contest.

I do have some individual shots of my Once Upon A Time characters as well as some tweaks I made to some that are in the group shot.

I have Pilgrim to post which I had hoped to have on here prior to Thanksgiving but better late than never.

I will post my Dynamic Duo on here as well after they have been submitted and then voted on.

I hope all is well for all of you.

Can't wait to see a longer trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness.

I like Santa (who doesn't) black boots are spot on I would suggest white for the gloves though, just me you might of tried it already. Now that I typed it sounds like it could look kind of wrong.

Any bets on the "mystery" villain for trek? My money is on Gary Mitchell all the way.

I really want to say Khan, merely because in a scene that is hinted in the Japanese Trailer for the film, there is Spock's hand and someone else's hands separated by glass which happend after Spock had to save the Enterprise after the battle with Khan. I am not saying that I know exactly what was showen in the Japanese trailer but that is the image that was frozen in the article I read about it.

If it is Gary Mitchell do we see a flashback with him and Kirk being friends or such? Gary Mitchell got his powers when the Enterprise attempted to cross the Great Barrier at the edge of the Galaxy and was a crew member on the Enterprise. This reboot of Trek is not what I expected in 2009 because it is making the crew all closer in age than they were in the original series. In the original series Uhura and Spock were not lovers and did not attend the academy together nor did Chekov, Scotty, Sulu and Kirk or Bones. I think the cast to play the characters we all know was great but the reboot has a lot to get used to for those of us that knew the original trek universe.

So if the Blond female Science officer in the trailer is not Nurse Chapel then she could be Dr. Elizabeth Dehner. Maybe they will have Gary Mitchell come to his powers on an assignment Admiral Pike sends him on and then he comes back to seek a mate and goes for Dr. Dehner and Kirk has to get involved to end the life of Gary Mitchell? I am not sure.

I can't wait and I hope I can see it at the Midnight showing and then again a week later.

Hey, I am trying to get more customizing of Non-Star Trek Universe characters.
I was able to accomplish a goal I set for myself by submitting and entry for the Dynamic Duos Contest.

I entered:9WgzlLH.jpg
yP4vhW5.jpg

For those of you that do not know where these character are from I will attemtp to explain.
Revolution is a television drama that takes place 15 years in the future of present day after a massive man-made global black out has occurred. The governments of the world have fallen and militia groups have taken to power.
Charlie (Charlotte) Matheson and her younger brother, Danny, live in a small hamlet in southern Wisconsin with their dad, Ben. Rachael was Ben's wife and she left the family years ago to "gather supplies" but never came back (she supposedly turned herself in to save the family). Charlie explores the area around their hamlet and is curious about what life was like before the blackout happened. She has some memories of that life as she was around 4 when the blackout happened. The Monroe Militia control the area of what once Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York and the rest of New England. The Militia show up to take Ben to General Monroe but Danny interupts and ends up getting his dad shot and taken captive. As Ben lays dieing, Charlie is holding him and his last words are for her to find her Uncle Miles in Chicago and then rescue Danny.
So Charlie sets out to find Miles, but Maggie, her dad's girlfriend, and Aaron, her dad's friend, go with her. Once the get to Chicago they find her uncle Miles and set out to find Danny.

The plot is great and the story is ever growing yet some of the episodes could work as stand alone. I like the fact that they do build and flow into one another. I can't wait for them to come back on the air in the Spring.

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

• 4 months later...

Okay, I am sorry I have not posted lately.

I am still working on gathering parts for my Star Trek Customs and for Once Upon A Time and Revolution.

I am still tinkering with a Bashir from DS9, Tuvok from Voyager as well as waiting for the official Janeway and Seven of Nine to come in my custom Legacy case from Luke.

I have in the works, a Vulcan in ceremonial robes, Kirk from "Patterns of Force" as a Nazi soldier, Kirk from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". I also did a quick custom for Harry Mudd that is from his first appearance. Another quick custom I have is Trelane from "The Squire of Gothos".

I am already trying to get T'Pol made. Iam also getting parts together to make Trip and Hoshi Sato from Star Trek Enterprise. I will use an Archer body to make Trip and I may have to have decals made for Sato. I am not sure about Mayweather and Reed at this point but I will not make Phlox as I am not good at sculpting.

Most of my "Once Upon A Time" (OUAT) customs are based upon Season One Storybrooke versions of the characters. I was thinking of trying to work on a Cora, Regina's mother, just not sure on her parts I will need. I even might try to make LeRoy and maybe Mother Superior (Blue Fairy). I did make a Granny but she is not pictured just yet but will work on getting individual shots fo my OUAT mates posted as soon as I can.

I have made a good likeness of Nora from "Revolution" as well as a Rachel and Danny. Might even try to make Monroe.

I am also working to make a story like sequence like Prowl-AR does and I am putting the final touches on my Children of Oberon which is a take on a few classics in folklore and other sources.

Edited by Captain Paco

• 2 weeks later...

kYONVtA.jpg

Dress Uniform Scotty now with the sash that hangs off the left shoulder.

Still need to get the nerve to do the chest details but here he is almost complete.

Also Harry Mudd from "Mudd's Women"

rrSzuae.jpg

Trelane from "Squire of Gothos", artistic licensing as I did not want to cut up the chest piece.

1LNedtV.jpg

Kahn in the TOS uniform as seen in a few scenes from "Space Seed"

YzizCBq.jpg

Admiral Kirk from " Star Trek The Motion Picture"

UGR8sSC.jpg

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

Revolution Minimates are now something I am working on. I try my best to not have to paint or scuplt anything but from time to time I will need to.

Miles Matheson (Uncle to Charlie)

iichSNA.jpg

Charlie Matheson (the leading lady of the series)

Z1Qwoh9.jpg

Danny Matheson (Little Brother to Charlie and sacraifices himself to save the others)

YsTxqjI.jpg

Rachel Matheson (Mother to Charlie and Danny, also knows what caused the global blackout and how to reverse it.)

ubXZNFv.jpg

Nora Clayton (Rebel and Friend of Miles Matheson)

ThMxtjw.jpg

I am working on a Monroe but I am not sure he will be anytime soon. I only hope that Revolution will come back next Fall because it is a GREAT Show and I hope to get Monroe finished before the end of this season.

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

Works In Progress, but I am preparing for the Legacy Series One Star Trek Minimates and wanted to have mates to join Captain Archer once he arrives.

T'Pol

wswNar0.jpg

Charles "Trip" Tucker, III and Hoshi Sato (WIP)

I will have to paint the hair on Sato black and maybe trim the bangs on it but I like the ponytail on it for that character.

I am using X-men First Class uniforms as stand-ins for Enterprise Uniforms but not sure I will get a femail uniform for Sato so I am not sure. Working on an idea for Reed but I am out of African American Mates to make a Mayweather. But I will need to order at least three more Archers to make the crew in full minus Phlox. Not sure I am going to go that far out with the crew. (I have since obtained the ponytail hairpiece from Gwen Stacy and painted it black for Sato. I am still toying face ideas but will try to post an updated WIP soon.)

I have several more things coming but just need to get the time to take some photos and get them uploaded on my computer.

I have read that the talents behind the popular tv show "Once Upon A Time" might be making a spin-off that involves Wonderland which has some links to the show but could become a stand-alone show in its own accord. I got to thinking that it would be interesting if there would be a tie-in to the Land of Oz at some point in the "Once Upon A Time" Universe. I have thus started working on some customs of characters from the Land of Oz and the tales related to it. I have an Aunt Em and Uncle Henry and will be making a Dorothy. (I am going to be using an Alice and Mirage with some paint to Alices shoes to make ruby slippers.)

I have made a Tinman-like figure, only in my thoughts he is a knight who was in love with the lost-twin sister to Regina Mills. He would have had his heart removed by Regina and then cursed to become an Axe-handed woodsman that was bonded to his metal armor and driven mad by the fact that he could not love the woman of his former desires.

I have also made a Scarecrow of sorts. He is a few parts to make him look put together. I did some mild painting to make some spots look like the color of hay. I have him holding a pitchfork as he, too, is mad from having to be who he is and not with the one he loves.

I have also made a man to represent the lion. However, this a a man wearing a lion's head vest. He is a man who was walking in the woods and was attacked by the cowardly lion and in pure fear of his life used his bare hands to kill the beast. But once the lion died the curse that made the lion a coward befell this man. He now must wear the vest not as sign of how brave he was but as a symbol of his cowardliness and the fact that he took an innocent life.,

I am now working on the Witches and my stories for each of them and how to work Regina into the mix.

If The Land of Oz was to have a tie-in with "Once Upon A Time", it would be unlike the tales we know from the movies/musicals. It would have some dark elements to it.

Thank you for viewing.

Edited by Captain Paco
update of image(s)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have been working and retinkering with my "Children of Oberon" project. Got some new parts in to help with getting my ideas represented in physical form. Lady of the Lake has changed and now I am retooling my Grandmother, Coyote and Raven figures as well. (Update: I have retooled my "Children of Oberon" minimates but now I need to retool the backstory and get it to the quality of Prowl-AR's stories.)

(I have also reworked some of my "Revolution" Minimates and will try to get the images updated soon as well. I am also reworking a couple of my "Once Upon A Time" minimates such as Jefferson -the mad hatter and I am creating Henry and Captain Hook. I thought about Cora/Queen of Hearts but not sure I can pull her off the way I want. I also have been toying with the idea of the Land of Oz if Regina had visited there before Dorothy came along and made it more sinister than we all know from the movies. I hope to finish those figures and get them shown here soon as well. I thought I would share here - that I wish I was better at it - I am working on a set of Minimate Ferengi Lobes but I think it will be used for a generic Ferengi and not Quark or Rom or anyone that was ever named.)

I hope to have them posted by June 1st if possible. I have been working out in yard more lately so that has delayed my customizing process but bare with me and I will get them posted soon.

Thank you for following my progress.

Edited by Captain Paco