UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate pictures you'd rather not see.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can add this. When the idea for a "Minimate" was originally brought up at Art Asylum, they were going to mimic Medicom's Kubrick, hence the design of BHM's figures. I have seen these before and inquired about them way back then. At some point, they shifted gears and decided to go in a more original direction adding several point of articulation and the Minimate you know today is not much different from the second version prototypes. The originals were to be 3 inch, but they couldn't do three inch with Marvel, hence two inch figures. The shoulder joints had to be adjusted because of loose arms and the original hands were a bit different with an angled gripping notch instead of a more centered one. A few other changes were made down the line but they are changes that are difficult to notice with the naked eye or without taking the figure apart. I am going to see if I can share some early prototype photos if I have them with me. Stay tuned.

This is the first prototype "Minimate". I have a hard time referring to it as a Minimate because it is so far from what I consider a Minimate.

proto3_zpsuegxio5s.jpg

proto1_zps7x3ptj2d.jpg

Early prototype Minimates from Wave 1. Notice the hands.

mm-hulkgroup_zpshsmrdjdb.jpg

Licensing issues did not allow for a 3" Marvel Minimate. Only 2", and this gave birth to what most people consider a true Minimate. The 2.5" was created for the LOTR license and was later used for DCD.

Yes, I believe there was one poster and a few advert proofs that had the original hand design featured.

Didn't Digger almost loose the Marvel license due to the 2" requirement? I think Chuck mentioned that at the 2014 C2E2 party.

Sorta true. It was actually DST, not Art Asylum that had the Marvel Minifigure license, so the Marvel Minimate venture was always a joint effort, because the Minimate design belonged to Art Asylum. Digger lobbied hard to maintain Minimates as 3" with the Marvel license, but it couldn't be done contractually and Marvel was not interested otherwise. I had heard way back then that Digger pissed off Marvel enough that they nearly forbade DST from doing Minimates, and I think that is what Chuck was referring to. He managed to piss off DC, as well.

• 1 month later...

post-6447-0-37463200-1437859569_thumb.jp

Seems like I should finally post something here. This is a picture that I'm half happy to see and half rather not see. Moving my collection! I can't imagine what some people, *cough, BHM-Ivan-yb-Shane-etc.., cough* would go through moving theirs.

I should post a pic of my closet of awesomeness. I have 40 gallon tubs full of minimates. Some are duplicates and some are recent figures I have not gotten around to creating displays for. Also, I hoarded a bunch of MAX stuff.