UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate pictures you'd rather not see.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you tend to expect the worst, BHM, and take in stride foul-ups that would break lesser men, but if you ever order something from TRU, and what you get seems to go beyond a simple pulling error, let me know. Would love to know what you really ordered, and where the heck these guys were hiding.

Those are the supposedly rare Shane/Punk Zombie set. They are hard to find now and fetch between $50-$80 on ebay. I was just happy to be able to get one set at SDCC this year and about flipped out when I saw them on the pegs at the DST booth. Zach told me he found one last case of them somewhere and brought them along. That alone made my day. But over twenty of them is just crazy! I don't even know how to process this!

I was just at Baltimore Comic Con over the weekend. I wish I had taken some pictures, because one booth had a whole bin full of Walking Dead Series 5.

Also, saw another booth that had glued a bunch of Minimates (including some rare ones!) so they wouldn't fall apart, then drilled holes in their heads and made necklaces out of them. If you saw my face, you would've sworn I'd seen a dead body.

Also, saw another booth that had glued a bunch of Minimates (including some rare ones!) so they wouldn't fall apart, then drilled holes in their heads and made necklaces out of them. If you saw my face, you would've sworn I'd seen a dead body.

That sounds awesome. I once bought some G.I. Joe ARAH Mardi Gras beads in New Orleans, but these sound much cooler.

• 9 months later...

Me or the Minimates ?unsure.png

Haha. The 'Minimates' if we can even call them that. When is the barn open for business?

They're very Kubricky.

Or first gen Mez-Itz. They scream Mez-Itz to me.

bhm, if you any interesting historical tidbits on these, I would love to hear them.

Edited by Cappy

And yet, he keeps buying. biggrin.png

Yeah, these are definitely pretty ugly. I'm not much of a fan of the pre-2" figures anyway, and these protos are basically those without the articulation. But a cool historical tidbit nonetheless. Bring them to the meetup next spring!

Was this considered as an actual Minimate design, or was articulation just not added yet to these prototypes for cost purposes? Rhetorical question since I guess no one can answer.

If I had to guess (and I do) I'd say this was the original direction Art Asylum wanted to take with the 3" Minimates. However, as with what happened when Palisades developed a body style that looked too much like the Minimates they were competing with, Legal stepped in and said, "Nope. It looks too much like another company's. You'll have to change it up." So AA tweaked the shape and added articulation.

That's all speculation, of course, but it's happened before. Necessity is the mother on invention.