UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1966 Batman TV Series

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to DC's website, there is an event tonight that is some way related to the 1966 Batman series.

"5.2 More To Be Revealed Tonight and Tomorrow!

You can let go of that thought now. There’s an exclusive event going on tonight and we’ll be there snapping photos. Check back in tomorrow for a recap and exclusive images!"

Is the series finally coming to DVD?

I know WBCP was having an in-house presentation of all things Batman '66 this week. It might not necessarily be anything toy related. I'd expect stationery, ornaments, apparel, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

My wet dream would be for DCC to offer 3 3/4" figures (to go with my 1:18 scale Hot Wheels Batmobile) but they'd probably end up convention exclusives anyway.

Not holding my breath for Minimates, of course.

So, what's going on, exactly?

I can't find the followup article they mentioned, but the "week in review" mentions the "surprise" was a digital-first Comic Book set in the 1966 Batman universe. But again, I couldn't find a link to the story anywhere!

Whoop-dee-doo!

Sounds more like squandered opportunity to me!

I was able to meet both West and Ward a few weeks back at Emerald City Comicon. West seemed at ease with the fans and I actually got a fist bump when we talked about him and Rob Low in a Family Guy episode. Ward seemed a bit less fan friendly. I'm not sure if that is because I ask his handler if I could take his picture of him autographing his Robin photo and he didn't get to plug his dog food product? Still, I was one happy geek that day.

Yeah, Ward is never the happiest camper.

On another note, WB needs to step up their efforts to get this TV show out on DVD if they ever hope to make money on it. If they wait another 40 years, will they make as much as the 1940's Batman serials made when they came to DVD?

I just watched the movie the other day on Netflix with my daughter, and I thought it held up remarkably well. I still think it's one of the best introductions to super heroes for young children ever made. And, I've gotta say, watching the movie REALLY made me want the figures. At least Batman & Robin and the Batmobile. And Batgirl, of course.wub.png

Like I say, nostalgia is a powerful drug. I remember the first time I watched the show as a teenager and thought, "Holy shit. This was awful. Why did I like this so much?" I was embarrassed that I was so enamored of it.

Then I watched it as a nostalgic adult and, while it still made me cringe a little, I did manage to rediscover plenty of that childhood joy I experienced. And it's no different with Lost in Space or Buck Rogers. My favorite is probably The Adventures of Superman. One episode made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe, an adult reaction that would have really pissed off the 8-year-old inside me.

Regardless, Yvonne Craig's Batgirl helped me through puberty. banana.gif

1495352856_0371af893f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I think the biggest fear, as far as Minimates go, is that the market is flooded with '66 Batman product that doesn't sell, putting the kibosh on anything else. I feel confident that, if all the other merch sells well, WB will look at other products from their partners. But if it's a flop, and retailers say "no more of this goofy Batman crap!", we may indeed be on the outside looking in.

And one reason that is a possibility IMO is that everyone and their cousin has the '66 license at this point. Funko, Hot Toys, NECA, Mattel, etc. The market is going to be flooded with '66 Batman stuff soon, and though the show/characters are popular, it's not going to have the broad appeal of the general DC comic universe. As such, with so much product for a specific show coming out at once, fans are gonna get their fix and then be less inclined to buy a new bank, mini-statue, or prop replica than they otherwise would have been.

Having said that, these companies have smart guys making decisions, and I'm sure Diamond would recognize that '66 Batman sales wouldn't equate with potential DC Comic Universe sales.

Edited by karamazov80

Yes, I worry that WB has rather drastically overestimated the appeal of the show. There's probably as much dislike as nostalgia for it among the collector community, and I wonder if kids will want goofy looking Batman toys based on a show they might not have seen. I think our best hope for Minimates is that the Mattel toy line does well, as TRU has some exclusives with that, and that TRU then pushes WB for some more exclusive products, and WB turns to DST.

It's starnge that the 60's Batman license doesn't come togeather with whole Batman license.

I'm huge fan of the old Batman, but so far, the new toy's I've seen are not that great.

It's starnge that the 60's Batman license doesn't come togeather with whole Batman license.

I'm huge fan of the old Batman, but so far, the new toy's I've seen are not that great.

Wait until they unveil the Hot Toys version. We've already got a peak at the Batmobile (1/6th scale):

Wait until they unveil the Hot Toys version. We've already got a peak at the Batmobile (1/6th scale):

My big hope for this is an alternate Bruce Wayne head (even if it has to be a Sideshow Exclusive). Adam West on a Coulson body would be perfect.

Random thoughts:

- I'm currently developing product for this property and so far none of it uses the actors' likenesses. I'm using line art intended to reflect the art style of the animated opening credits. My point being that to the uninitiated, this classic property won't look all that different from other incarnations. Mattel and Mezco's figures will use actors' likenesses but not all product will.

- WBCP is definitely pushing this property hard and I'm just as concerned about oversaturation. However with no new bat-film on the horizon and a cartoon that's still a year away from having a licensing program, they're striking while there's still demand. Thanks to reruns, there are still fans of all ages for the 1966 show. (It's not like Nolan's film were all that kid-friendly and Brave and the Bold is gone so...)

- The only reason kids might find action figures "goofy looking" is because they're realistically modeled after the actors' physiques. I really don't think that would be a problem with the Minimates aesthetic. You either enjoy block figures or you don't. Even if fans don't care for the TV series, they might buy into the Minimates because they're not really meant to emulate – for example – Adam West's dated heroic proportions. (Although I'm sure AA would do their best to do so.)

- If Mezco's Mez-Itz crash and burn, an argument can be made that Minimates would perform better. There's simply more play value in a 2-pack of 2-inch figures with 14 points of articulation that retails for $8 than there is for blind-boxed single figures with 5 points of articulation that are going for $4.50 each. If Minimates are a niche of a niche then blind-boxing creates a niche of a niche of a niche. There's just gotta be a bigger market for Minimates than for Mez-Itz.

- If the '66 Batman programs fail at retail overall (which would kind of surprise me), I can't imagine buyers turning their backs on Batman, even "goofy Batman crap." I can see it being relegated to the specialty market, which in the absense of a home video release is really where it belongs for now, but I don't see comic shops and certain e-tailers shunning this Dynamic Duo entirely. They'll stick with what product makes sense and pass on the rest.

• 9 months later...