UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1966 Batman TV Series

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a look at the "Classic TV Series" style guide and the character selection is pretty limited at this point. So far they've only got rights for:

Batman/Bruce Wayne

Robin/Dick Grayson

Joker

Catwoman (Julie Newmar only)

Penguin

Riddler

No Alfred or Aunt Harriet, no Commissioner Gordon or Chief O'Hara. None of the other villains or henchmen but worst of all no Batgirl!

I know Minimates (and presumably Mez-Itz) don't have to deal with likeness rights because the portraits are caricatures and protected as parody so this might not affect this category but I know a few Yvonne Craig fans who aren't going to be very happy until she works out a deal with WB.

Not the worst selection, though. I'd really just like to add King Tut and Alfred to that list, but it's really all i expected. Any figures are good figures, honestly.

EDIT: And Bruce Wayne. He and Dick would have been a nice exclusive.

I'm sure if this inaugural line performs well enough, they'll probably expand to other popular characters. I wouldn't hold my breath for Alfred or Aunt Harriet (given Mattel's history) but I could see them offering Tut, Egghead, and other villains unique to the series. After all, they gave us some pretty obscure Super Friends characters.

And Bruce and Dick are included. No idea if Mattel will be offering them but they're on the table.

I wouldn't say Batman's Dick is on the table. That might be a little confusing. It's actually Robin's Dick and more specifically the Classic Dick.

I know people have their preferences. Personally I never cared for Dick when I was young. Dick just seemed to be an accessory at best and more often a distraction. But the older I got, the more I learned to appreciate Dick. The trick is to give Dick something to do, a way to contribute other than spitting out the occasional puns or being tied up. Fortunately over the years, Dick has grown thanks to the great people handling him.

Now I like Classic Dick, contemporary Dick, mature Dick; whatever. It's no lnger as much about the age as the experience. So long as Dick stays in shape and doesn't get hurt (which is hard, given what Dick goes through), it's all good. And while I really liked Nolan's movies, I couldn't help thinking Dick would be great in his capable hands.

On another note, I've seen the packaging and it's pretty nasty.

Before this degenerates any further I might as well bury this little gem somewhere :

Firstly you've all read about this ? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21063882

All I can think about when they bang on about this is what we used to call him in school in our history lessons ......'Dick the Shit'

Richard the turd.

All said & done it is still a pretty amazing story about how they found his remains etc.

Does it matter that Mezco has the rights? Surely it doesn't affect whether DST would get the licence would it ?

It depends on what category Mezco has.

In my experience, WBCP can really split hair to accommodate a licnesee if they want to. For example, if Mezco has the 2" vinyl collectible block figure category they could give DST the 2" ABS/PVC collectible block figure category. It really depends on how an existing agreement is worded so a loophole can be found.

Then again, WBCP wants to make sure one line doesn't cannibalize the other. In a case like this, Mezco could argue they're in direct competition with DST even though Mez-Its are shitty wannbes and Minimates rule the goddamned universe.

Does that make sense?

I wouldn't say Batman's Dick is on the table. That might be a little confusing. It's actually Robin's Dick and more specifically the Classic Dick.

I know people have their preferences. Personally I never cared for Dick when I was young. Dick just seemed to be an accessory at best and more often a distraction. But the older I got, the more I learned to appreciate Dick. The trick is to give Dick something to do, a way to contribute other than spitting out the occasional puns or being tied up. Fortunately over the years, Dick has grown thanks to the great people handling him.

Now I like Classic Dick, contemporary Dick, mature Dick; whatever. It's no lnger as much about the age as the experience. So long as Dick stays in shape and doesn't get hurt (which is hard, given what Dick goes through), it's all good. And while I really liked Nolan's movies, I couldn't help thinking Dick would be great in his capable hands.

MPL is still my hero.

thumbsup.gif cant find a clap hands smiley but that was very well done.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

I've been following the Richard III story pretty closely, and I am amazed at how the entire situation has played out. From locating the former site of the church under a parking structure, to finding the body the first day of the dig, identifying the wounds received to the body post-mortem, to DNA matching a relative in Canada, to digital facial reconstruction, it has been one hell of an impressive story.

I've been following the Richard III story pretty closely, and I am amazed at how the entire situation has played out. From locating the former site of the church under a parking structure, to finding the body the first day of the dig, identifying the wounds received to the body post-mortem, to DNA matching a relative in Canada, to digital facial reconstruction, it has been one hell of an impressive story.

Yet we still don't know who killed Tupac!

• 4 weeks later...