UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1966 Batman TV Series

@ BHM: Well, sure, you can get bootlegs. I've seen bootlegs for sale at (probably) every comic con I've ever been to. My point is that the series has never been OFFICIALLY released because they haven't been able to work out the rights issues.

@MisterPL: It's a long, long story, but the reason there's not DC Minimates anymore is that DC doesn't want to do them; rest assured DST would pick the license back up in a heartbeat. I remain optimistic that, eventually, that's gonna change, for various reasons, but I'm also not holding my breath.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will buy almost anything based on that show. That show is the reason I became a comic collector in the first place. Had I not collected comics I doubt I would have gotten into action figures at all, let alone Minimates.

Makes me wonder how fruitful pursuing this would be. Surely DC still has *some* licensing rights since they keep releasing Batmobiles by various companies, and considering it's Batman.

I believe the Batmobiles get made through a loophole involving George Barris. Im not a lawyer so dont quote me but I think its a "fair use" deal.

But no, Kostis. It won't bring back DC. DC is dead, for pretty much ever. Everyone needs to accept that already.

DC is deader than disco. Let it go.

Yeah, that's very cool, but I don't want Minimates based on that show.

I swear, every time I think you can't say something more stupid you prove me wrong :wacko: The reason you have no interest is because you probably don't have the attachment that some of us have with the show. I'd love to see these Mated, even if it was a limited exclusive set. I'm also curious about the series though. It was a fun show and I'd love to have a official licensed dvd or bd set. Especially if they did commentaries with some of the surviving actors. Otherwise I'm going to have to buy the sets from places like Second Variety DVD and I don't know if they are still in business?

@ BHM: Well, sure, you can get bootlegs. I've seen bootlegs for sale at (probably) every comic con I've ever been to. My point is that the series has never been OFFICIALLY released because they haven't been able to work out the rights issues.

OK,OK ....O...K. You're right :rolleyes:

Maybe I could explain why a young bhm loved that show post-638-0-21623900-1339576356_thumb.jpg

Bruce seems pleased :biggrin:

I will buy almost anything based on that show. That show is the reason I became a comic collector in the first place. Had I not collected comics I doubt I would have gotten into action figures at all, let alone Minimates.

Makes me wonder how fruitful pursuing this would be. Surely DC still has *some* licensing rights since they keep releasing Batmobiles by various companies, and considering it's Batman.

I believe the Batmobiles get made through a loophole involving George Barris. Im not a lawyer so dont quote me but I think its a "fair use" deal.

But no, Kostis. It won't bring back DC. DC is dead, for pretty much ever. Everyone needs to accept that already.

DC Megos' were dead too. They returned. Batman Lego was dead. It returned.

But, let's listen to the internet instead because they are experts.

OR

You can acknowledge the fact that DST *wants* to make them, it's just one guy at DC who refused to play ball. One. Guy. Who, you know, stepped down already. So, Maybe the 2" block figure catergory license is currently tied up by Mez-Its, who knows what happens when that license expires??

Never say never when there's money to be made. Especially while DST continues to pursue it. It's more a matter of when they can come to an agreement.

It's my understanding that this isn't even a DC issue anymore. Since the restructuring almost two years ago, licensing for DC has been handled by Warner Bros. Consumer Products. And just out of curiosity, was the "one guy" Georg Brewer?

I find it hard to believe that the company suddenly pulling a "me too" move by announcing a Justice League film after Marvel's success with The Avengers is concerned about being perceived as copycats. As long ago as Mego and as recently as Lego, plenty of manufacturers have both DC and Marvel properties. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at DST's success with Marvel Minimates (NOT Mezco's Mez-Itz) and imagine how it could be emulated with DC brands.

To me, Mez-Itz showed a willingness on WBCP's part to give the category a try. From my perspective it doesn't look like it's doing gangbusters. I have reason to believe the agreement is nearing its end and Mezco will probably not renew unless their merchandise for The Dark Knight Rises blows up. The 1966 Batman property could be DST's avenue to more things DC, not just 'mates.

I fully expect to see a Wayne Manor 4-pack of Bruce, Dick, Alfred, and Aunt Harriet offered as the 2013 SDCC exclusive. B)

It's my understanding that this isn't even a DC issue anymore. Since the restructuring almost two years ago, licensing for DC has been handled by Warner Bros. Consumer Products. And just out of curiosity, was the "one guy" Georg Brewer?

I find it hard to believe that the company suddenly pulling a "me too" move by announcing a Justice League film after Marvel's success with The Avengers is concerned about being perceived as copycats. As long ago as Mego and as recently as Lego, plenty of manufacturers have both DC and Marvel properties. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at DST's success with Marvel Minimates (NOT Mezco's Mez-Itz) and imagine how it could be emulated with DC brands.

To me, Mez-Itz showed a willingness on WBCP's part to give the category a try. From my perspective it doesn't look like it's doing gangbusters. I have reason to believe the agreement is nearing its end and Mezco will probably not renew unless their merchandise for The Dark Knight Rises blows up. The 1966 Batman property could be DST's avenue to more things DC, not just 'mates.

I fully expect to see a Wayne Manor 4-pack of Bruce, Dick, Alfred, and Aunt Harriet offered as the 2013 SDCC exclusive. B)

Sick! I'd buy that! I never wished for an Aunt Harriet figure, but I'd be all over this set, especially if it came with the red telephone and Shakespeare bust!! (THEN I'd buy multiples!)

As for Mezco, where can they go from here if TDKR "blows up"? Sure, they can do more DCU stuff, but I would think that the cost of renewing their license will be prohibitive, with respect to what they do do with it in the future. I've never seen any of their stuff flying off the shelves. And there will never be a 4th Nolan movie to help move more merchandise. Sure, eventually there will be another Batman film franchise, but it'll be a few years. Let's hope Mezco chooses NOT to renew their license.

As for the "copycat" thing - fun story from SDCC a few years back. I was in the Mattel booth after Hasbro had announced their 3 3/4" Marvel Universe line. I heard a few Mattel employees scoffing and making fun of this, saying Hasbro was copying their success with those hideous DC 3 3/4" figures they had at the time. I just smiled and remembered that DCUC was a blatant copy of Marvel Legends, and that Hasbro owned Kenner, the creator of the 3 3/4" scale!

Yeah, that's very cool, but I don't want Minimates based on that show.

I swear, every time I think you can't say something more stupid you prove me wrong :wacko: The reason you have no interest is because you probably don't have the attachment that some of us have with the show.

Agreed. So how is that stupid? I'd rather have designs from my childhood than yours. The intention of my statement was not to begrudge you that, however.

DC Megos' were dead too. They returned. Batman Lego was dead. It returned.

But, let's listen to the internet instead because they are experts.

OR

You can acknowledge the fact that DST *wants* to make them, it's just one guy at DC who refused to play ball. One. Guy. Who, you know, stepped down already. So, Maybe the 2" block figure catergory license is currently tied up by Mez-Its, who knows what happens when that license expires??

Never say never when there's money to be made. Especially while DST continues to pursue it. It's more a matter of when they can come to an agreement.

IDK man, after listening to the RTM podcast, it seems like Art Asylum lost their shirts on the C3 line, and was rather unimpressed with the DCD line. I'm not saying you're wrong, but has anyone at DST (IE: Chuck) come out and said "We really want the DC line. We keep trying."? It strikes me as a "They know were here, and no one (at DC) cares, so we're not even going to give it much attention." So to say they *want* to do DC may be putting your personal spin on it.

Just my $0.02

IDK man, after listening to the RTM podcast, it seems like Art Asylum lost their shirts on the C3 line, and was rather unimpressed with the DCD line. I'm not saying you're wrong, but has anyone at DST (IE: Chuck) come out and said "We really want the DC line. We keep trying."? It strikes me as a "They know were here, and no one (at DC) cares, so we're not even going to give it much attention." So to say they *want* to do DC may be putting your personal spin on it.

Just my $0.02

It's been mentioned that they still want to do DC mates in several Q&A's, and I believe it's been mentioned here as well by Zach IIRC (Zach, care to jump in?). DST "lost their shirts" on C3 because of the building-block set designs. Just getting those to pass inspection is costly. Designing AND tooling an entire brick-building system isn't cheap. That's where they spent a lot of their money. As for the DC direct, that line was sublicensed, I forget the specifics but it was a completely different deal from Marvel (IIRC they were not allowed to reuse parts in any othe line at the time) and I believe DC Direct basically commisioned the assortments and them sold them through DC Direct themselves to LCBS's, so the profit wasn't there for DCD hence their disinterest at the time (as opposed to Marvel where DST pays the licensing fee and takes care of the rest). C3 will likely never happen again. It's not cheap to start from scratch with a Lego competitor. And no, I'm not putting my "personal spin" on this.

Just my $0.02

It's been mentioned that they still want to do DC mates in several Q&A's, and I believe it's been mentioned here as well by Zach IIRC (Zach, care to jump in?). DST "lost their shirts" on C3 because of the building-block set designs. Just getting those to pass inspection is costly. Designing AND tooling an entire brick-building system isn't cheap. That's where they spent a lot of their money. As for the DC direct, that line was sublicensed, I forget the specifics but it was a completely different deal from Marvel (IIRC they were not allowed to reuse parts in any othe line at the time) and I believe DC Direct basically commisioned the assortments and them sold them through DC Direct themselves to LCBS's, so the profit wasn't there for DCD hence their disinterest at the time (as opposed to Marvel where DST pays the licensing fee and takes care of the rest). C3 will likely never happen again. It's not cheap to start from scratch with a Lego competitor. And no, I'm not putting my "personal spin" on this.

DST never really said they "want to do them." They say that they're here, ready, and are open to DCD giving them the ability again, but that it's all in their court. Considering DST themselves have stopped pursuing it, i'd wager that interest just is not there.

DC failed for several reasons though, not just commissioning. They made most of the design choices on figures, not Uriel. The biggest was character selection. Repeats, poorly timed/chosen costumes, obscure characters. No one, ever, EVER, has clamored for "Ma Hunkel." DCD is the fault of all of their own failures with this line, and i really don't want them to go back to DST for risk of screwing it up again.

It's not a matter of DC still being possible. Everyone knows that DC could up and decide one day. But that's a hypothetical and extremely unlikely of ever happening. And that's fact, not my "personal spin" either.

DC is dead. It sucks, but it needs to be accepted.

Considering DST themselves have stopped pursuing it, i'd wager that interest just is not there.

You work for DST? You actually know what they are and are not pursuing?

DC failed for several reasons though, not just commissioning. They made most of the design choices on figures, not Uriel. The biggest was character selection. Repeats, poorly timed/chosen costumes, obscure characters. No one, ever, EVER, has clamored for "Ma Hunkel." DCD is the fault of all of their own failures with this line, and i really don't want them to go back to DST for risk of screwing it up again.

It's not a matter of DC still being possible. Everyone knows that DC could up and decide one day. But that's a hypothetical and extremely unlikely of ever happening. And that's fact, not my "personal spin" either.

DC is dead. It sucks, but it needs to be accepted.

You contradict yourself and then call that fact? Whatever, man.

Yes, Ma Hunkel was a terrible choice. But didn't we just get 2 Aunt May's within months of each other? Who ever demanded Gamorra? No property is immune from poor choices. DC seemed to be following Marvel fairly closer as far as mix of A,B,C & occasional Z-listers was involved. It's a standard technique for anyone aiming for the "long haul", you can't give the customer everything they want right away, you have to mix it up or they will quit. The Palisades "Muppets" line was killed because they didn't spread out the variants, they gave us the iconic stuff right away and was only left with the bottom of the barrel. Overall the DC selection was good. What YOU don't want isn't the same as every other collector's tastes, especially in terms of costume selection. Refreshing Batman & Superman is just plain good business sense, regardless of what we as collectors want.

Also, IIRC Ma Hunkel was a current member of the JSA at the time that figure came out. So she would have been needed to complete the team as it eventually came out.

In that recent Minimate podcast the DC & C3 lines were talked about at some length (30 minutes into the cast)& rather than misquote it I'll invite anybody that's interested to listen in. My opinion ,for what it is worth,has always been that from a pure sales aspect neither line sold as well as DST &/or DC expected .

Batman Minimates of any description sell well ,I'm not so sure whether another DC line would .

So, just so I don't inadvertently squash any dreams, MonkeyCrumb. Are you expecting DC mates to come back, or do you just want them to come back? Because there's a difference.

Both. I understand the difference. I also understand that you cannot "squash any dreams" because you don't work for either company, nor do 99% of the people here.

I expect DC minimates to return *some day*. Not necessarily within the next few years. It might take 20 years for all we know. What really irritates me are all the laymen speculators getting all riled up and spouting "never, NEVER!" as if they were somehow intimately involved in the process. Nobody at DST has ever said NEVER. Companies can not be as transparent as we would like and share all of their plans with us. So much goes on behind the scenes that we will never be aware of for whatever reason. We never get told how much licenses cost, how many units are produced (most of the time), etc, etc. Some company can be full of A-holes, and the other company dealing with them cannot go on public record and say "those guys are a bunch of A-Holes" because that's bad for business. Kang was kept ultra-secret until right before release, even to the point of being denied in the Q&A's. I had posted that we were definitely getting him this year, and I was right. I could tell just because the Q&A "denials" were getting kinda snarky, and they knew how bad we wanted him.The denials felt very "tongue in cheek". Sometimes you just have to read between the lines when it comes to corporate replies.

DC is an established brand. ALL of the major stores are willing to take a chance on it. They don't stock every product, but then nobody does these days. But DC would be a sure bet at TRU and LCBS's, and that alone is enough to make a profit if DST can get the license on reasonable (for DST) terms. DST is in business to make money, and they are *always* evaluating new licenses. To think they just "give up" on what would be a sure bet for them is just ignorant. Somebody, somewhere in the company keeps DC on their radar. They just are not going to keep us updated on their progress for various reasons (one main reason being the competing toy companies).

There are lots of things that may not be "your cup of tea", but somebody, somewhere will buy it. DC is a proven, and even if they only did a few waves of pure Batman & villains, they can get in, pump out a few waves, get out and still make more than enough to justify their expenses and time.

I just can't stand all the ignorance around when people spout "never". We never thought we'd get Indiana Jones action figures. We never thought we'd get to see the Marlon Brando footage from Superman II, let alone get a figure of him. We never thought we'd get toys based on Micheal Keaton Batman or Christopher Reeves Superman. I mean, we just got Mego-styled Buck Rodgers 1979 figures recently, who was asking for those? Not me!

Bottom line is this: Everything is just a matter of money and timing. At some point, the 2-inch block figure DC license will not be in use, and DC will not be earning money off it just letting it sit around. They will license it out. They are in business to make money. Maybe DC will be unreasonable in their terms to where it's not worth DST's time. Mezco found it worth their time. Someday, somewhere, representatives from both companies are going to communicate and ask "what can we do to make this happen". It's just business sense.

DST's favorite reply is "Never say never."

Yesterday I spotted – for the first time – Mezco's Batmobile set at TRU among all the merchandise for TDKR. I couldn't help chuckling because the design wasn't based on the movie. It was a generic (IE - non-specific) Batmobile. The Batman Mez-Itz that was packed with it was based on a comic book appearance. I recall them soliciting the Tumbler a while back, seemingly in time to tie in with the film, but this sure wasn't it. Add to that the $20+ price tag for a figure with far less articulation than a Minimate and a vehicle that doesn't even feature spinning wheels and the M.A.X. line is looking like an even better deal. I should be seeing the camouflaged Tumbler and Batpod sets, not these things. I could understand if it were an assortment but it was nothing but there was nothing but eight non-film toys.

Mezco doesn't seem to have had much luck with their line. Worst case scenario: WBCP thinks that the category is too weak to support any DC property. C3 was a (very expensive) means to an end. The DCD line was apparently not profitable enough for all parties involved because it wasn't licensed, it was work-for-hire. Third time's a charm, right? :thumbsup:

As for DST, I can understand them not pursuing the license simply because they don't really need another property with a stable of over 5,000 characters. They're enjoying a very good run with Marvel and given the economy and this volatile, niche market, now may not be the best time to add the entire DCU to their portfolio of products. That's why I'm recommending something smaller, something that – like The Munsters – strikes the chord of nostalgia and also attracts collectors seeking some rarely produced merchandise based on a beloved, well-known property.

As for DST, I can understand them not pursuing the license simply because they don't really need another property with a stable of over 5,000 characters. They're enjoying a very good run with Marvel and given the economy and this volatile, niche market, now may not be the best time to add the entire DCU to their portfolio of products. That's why I'm recommending something smaller, something that – like The Munsters – strikes the chord of nostalgia and also attracts collectors seeking some rarely produced merchandise based on a beloved, well-known property.

Boy, I don't think that would be the case at all. If anything, I think DST would love to have another vast character library to serve as a tentpole with Marvel. DC (along with the other white whale) seems like the most likely candidate.

Anyway, I agree with Monkeycrumb, in that I think it will happen again someday. Things are a lot different with both DC and DST since the DC Direct line was prematurely ended, and I think it's just a matter of time. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Things are a lot different with both DC and DST since the DC Direct line was prematurely ended, and I think it's just a matter of time. I'm not holding my breath, though.

In what sense was it prematurely ended? If the sales weren't good, isn't that a reason to end it? Same thing happened with C3.

I really am not trying to fight. Sorry if that sounds argumentative. I still wish C3 was around too. :/

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

The line ended all too soon Dino. I can't speak for anyone elses shops, but the DC Mates sold really well in my area. DCD didn't give it enough time for it to build up sales. I actually got into Minimates because of the DC/C3 line. I wasn't a fan of the blocks, just the DC characters that came with them. Once I started buying these and other figures for members on the old AA forum I got sucked into Marvel, LOTR and various other lines that came after. I definitely think Mister PL has a great idea on a limited run, like The Munster and the Classic Monster Mates with this show. Hell, they could do con or online exclusives and still make money because of the low production run. In all honesty, I'd much rather pay for a Mate of some of my favorite DC characters than double or triple for an actual action figure.

I'm a huge fan of DC & C3 Minimates, the DC stuff still compares favourably with anything that is currently being released & I can't recall anybody questioning their quality .....ever !

Bear in mind that many Minimate box sets are produced in numbers of less than 2000 & as little as 1000..... yet DC Minimates were produced in numbers of 6000 (W1-5) 5400 (W6) 4500 (W7) & 3600 (W8) . Now I'm not an expert on DC heroes per se but I'm not sure many of those Waves had people clamouring for them because of character selection but it is only over the last year or so that they've dried up on the secondary market , the fact remains that that is an awful lot of sales for a Minimate line that was only released in specialty stores...no Target,no TRU no nothing. Which ever way you spin it they sold .

I think we'd all like to see DC Minimates return but I'm amongst those that remain passively silent & just hope

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'm going to put the good ol' Parker luck into effect. See,every time I pay high for something old,the same thing is rereleased. So if I buy some dc mates then maybe the whole universe will make them return. Yes,it sounds like a science fiction story but it has worked thus far so who knows? It's more likely for Greece to not bankrupt even more than to get dc mates but- on second thought,dc mates seem more likely.

Things are a lot different with both DC and DST since the DC Direct line was prematurely ended, and I think it's just a matter of time. I'm not holding my breath, though.

In what sense was it prematurely ended? If the sales weren't good, isn't that a reason to end it? Same thing happened with C3.

I really am not trying to fight. Sorry if that sounds argumentative. I still wish C3 was around too. :/

Prematurely ended in that it came out of nowhere, if you remember. Brewer just said at SDCC during a panel that they were done, and that was it. DC Direct, under him, had a really bad rep among collectors for abandoning lines without warning, so I suppose in that regard eight waves is pretty good for DCD.

I'm a huge fan of DC & C3 Minimates, the DC stuff still compares favourably with anything that is currently being released & I can't recall anybody questioning their quality .....ever !

Bear in mind that many Minimate box sets are produced in numbers of less than 2000 & as little as 1000..... yet DC Minimates were produced in numbers of 6000 (W1-5) 5400 (W6) 4500 (W7) & 3600 (W8) . Now I'm not an expert on DC heroes per se but I'm not sure many of those Waves had people clamouring for them because of character selection but it is only over the last year or so that they've dried up on the secondary market , the fact remains that that is an awful lot of sales for a Minimate line that was only released in specialty stores...no Target,no TRU no nothing. Which ever way you spin it they sold .

I think we'd all like to see DC Minimates return but I'm amongst those that remain passively silent & just hope

Well, they were also sold at FYE/Suncoast Video, which is (or was) the largest music and video retailer in the US, in terms of locations. I'm curious where you got those production numbers from Rob; I'm not doubting them, just curious. Anyway, they obviously dropped in sales, as they were producing less 'mates as the line wore on, but sets from those later waves are the ones that remain somewhat easy to find. But those earlier ones? Forget about it. Yeah, they sold. And if DC Direct had committed to them, and looked to do something different to rekindle interest in them, it might have worked. But that wasn't the Brewer way.:confused:

Anyway, DST's relationship with TRU is going to be the key reason these guys come back, if and when they do. DC/WB likes seeing their characters in the toy aisles, and DST's been very successful at that with the Marvel line.

Well, they were also sold at FYE/Suncoast Video, which is (or was) the largest music and video retailer in the US, in terms of locations. I'm curious where you got those production numbers from Rob; I'm not doubting them, just curious.

I didn't know about the Suncoast/FYE connection......oops .

Production numbers : Minimate cases generally have numbers on them ....for example Wave 1 cases are numbered 1-2000 ,each case has 3 complete sets......6000 sets.

I'll add that it is my recollection that when these were released most online sellers were initially selling them by the wave & not individually as sets .....again I feel that this affected sales .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Well, in this case i'll just say that Battlestar Galactica, Rocky, Beverly Hills Cop, and Godfather are still on their way. Those rad Tony Hawks too. But, "whatever, man." :rolleyes:

Of course they *can* come back. No one denies that. It's a matter of if they will or won't. And no, Monkeycrumb, i don't work for DST, but i've read almost all the Q & As and it's very easy to recall the MULTIPLE times they've openly stated they are not pursuing DC and that it is ALL in DCD's court.

And DST, Chuck personally, has said never actually. I believe his exact words were "I know i say 'never say never,' but..."He openly admits Rocky, Beverly Hills Cop, Godfather, and BSG are all done, hence them being my examples.

Hope springs eternal, certainly, but reality and expectations are two different things and we're no more wrong for saying they're dead. (For the record, Ma Hunkel was one of the FIRST figures they produced. YOUR examples were from Waves 20 and up. Marvel didn't waste time on the most obscure of their characters. Amusing.)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Several of the DC Minimates went on clearance at my (former) LCS, mostly those with more obscure characters (only exception being, er, Aquaman :D ). I think one of the big problems with the line was not doing a better job of mixing desirable with undesirable 'Mates in some of the later waves (in terms of appeal to more casual collectors). I mean, Superman, Batman, Joker, and Hal Jordan Green Lantern in a single wave? Then you get a wave later where the most well known characters are Supergirl and a battle damaged variant of Wonder Woman?

Edited by karamazov80

I dunno, I think one of the big appeals of that line while it was running was that it touched on many parts of the DCU. In retrospect, if AA knew that they'd only get eight waves, they'd probably have dropped some guys like Ambush Bug in order to finish off some lineups and get all the big guys out. But I'm really glad I've got an Ambush Bug Minimate.