UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Long time lurker, first time poster. About me:

Hey everyone! I've been lurking around the forums for some time, and finally decided to start posting. A little background on me; I am a huge fan of everything Marvel. I started collecting Marvel Comics when I was 10 years old (I'm 29 now). As a 90's kid, I was raised on X-Men, loved the Animated Series. As I got older, I branched out into Marvel's other offerings. Some of my favorite comics are X-Statix, Morrison & Claremont X-Men, Peter David's Hulk & Captain Marvel, anything by Kurt Busiek, Nicieza X-Force and Thunderbolts, anything by Kirby. I stopped reading Marvel around Secret Invasion because I got burned from all the poorly-edited events they were doing, and a lack of original concepts. I mean, we've gotten to the point where Thunderstrike and the Scarlet Spider are "legacy" characters. Yeah, anyway, no new stuff but I love to pick up Essentials and other trades every now and then. Huge fan of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, I'm pretty active over on their message board. As an OHOTMU fan I love all things obscure, so you'll probably see me requesting some stuff that makes Stilt Man look like an A-lister...

As far as my action figure collecting background, I started out with the usual Masters of the Universe and Ninja Turtles. Once I got a little older and into X-Men, I started "serious" collecting. My eyes were opened to "chase figures" "variants" and other things I knew nothing of before. My X-Men love spread into ToyBiz's other Marvel offerings and I started buying Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, anything from the Marvel Universe. I stopped collecting around the late 90's when they were doing too many ridiculous variants like Werewolf Wolverines and Cyborg Spider-Mans, and it just stopped being fun. Star Wars figures completely overruled my Marvel collecting and I had nearly every figure from the 1996 run up until I lost interest around Episode 1. After that, got into Jakks' WWE figures for a couple years before I stopped collecting figures altogether. That was until I discovered Marvel Legends, they completely blew me away and I bought everything I could find. I didn't start collecting them until 2006, so I had to work backwards but amassed quite the collection. I lost interest when Hasbro took over. Marvel Legends also introduced me to customizing. I come from an art background, so I really got into that while I was collecting. If anybody wants to see any of my customs, I can post some pics. I also do costumes every year for Halloween, usually a WWE or Marvel character. If anyone wants to also see those, let me know. I'm a creative guy, and I always loved to combine my creativity with my interests.

As far as Minimates, I only recently started collecting but I've always had my eye on the line. When I started losing interest in Marvel Legends, I noticed there was this other line out there making Spymaster, Dreadnoughts, Gamora, etc. I was VERY interested, but figure collecting was out of my budget for a few years. Just before this past Christmas, I stumbled upon the New Mutants Magik/Warlock pack at a TRU and picked it up right away. I love Warlock's design and couldn't believe he was actually made into a Minimate. I started researching what I missed out on and began gobbling up everything I could. I was hooked. I've got about 70 Marvel Minimates now with no intention of stopping. What I love the most about this line is the selection of characters, so much obscurity! I also like how the "neccesary evil" variants aren't anything ludicrous like what ToyBiz was doing in the 90's. The line is very collector-friendly, the Spider-Mans and Iron Mans are representations of something that was in the comics, no "Aqua-Spidey" or "Samurai Iron Man." I also think Minimates are the best deal on the market. I feel DST goes out of its way to give you the most bang for your buck, tons of accessories and even alternate looks are packed into these things! When you compare them to $18 Marvel Legends that usually have no accessories, or having to buy TWO figures to show someone unmasked, Minimates are head and shoulders above.

So that's a little history on me, looking forward to contributing here!

Welcome to the Multiverse! My interest is piqued, lets see those customs and costumes!

Welcome to the 'verse and your new addiction! Really like your background story there. And mentioning that we haven't seen either "Aqua-Spidey" nor "Samurai Iron Man" is a good point. I always thought stuff like this in other lines is just ridiculous and never bought one of those.

And regarding your customs, you should definitely check out our custom creation section and start your own to display your pics. Looking forward to your first Minimate customs.

Welcome bigvis497. I was a big fan of the 90's toybiz x-men figures too. I lost interest a bit when they stopped giving each character it's own card art, but i have an almost complete collection of the first 8 waves (up to the phoenix saga). You're right about the variants getting a bit ridiculous after that. Colossus as a triceratops? Seriously? LOL :lol:

Can't wait to see some of your customs and costumes man.