UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Real life zombie attack?.... Sort of

winkerbean

I saw the pic..... It doesn't look like a face,more like krang stick in someone's body.

Shut it, dude. Don't even go there. The roadkill thread is one thing, this is something else entirely.

Did the guy finally die?

I thought so. I mean, how would you survive that? If not, regardless, a man had his face mauled.

I knew that as of 2 days after the attack he was still in ICU but they got him stabilized. It's amazing what the human body can endure. I just... on the one hand, if he's alive, think of all the plastic surgery he'll have to have. If he dies, I hope he was foreknowledge of where he heads up. (sorry, I just think like that) But the good news is, if he makes it his reconstructive surgery will almost certainly be compped! They can do entire face transplants now days.

I saw the pic..... It doesn't look like a face,more like krang stick in someone's body.

Shut it, dude. Don't even go there. The roadkill thread is one thing, this is something else entirely.

Did the guy finally die?

I thought so. I mean, how would you survive that? If not, regardless, a man had his face mauled.

I knew that as of 2 days after the attack he was still in ICU but they got him stabilized. It's amazing what the human body can endure. I just... on the one hand, if he's alive, think of all the plastic surgery he'll have to have. If he dies, I hope he was foreknowledge of where he heads up. (sorry, I just think like that) But the good news is, if he makes it his reconstructive surgery will almost certainly be compped! They can do entire face transplants now days.

I have no intention of going there again. It's scary what one man can do with his bare hands(and mouth).

Edited by Kostisfire

Makes me wonder if the guy does survive and gets all this work done, will he turn his life around? Will this cause him to rethink the decisions that led him to be homeless? Or will he just be a ward of the state, going from hospital to hospital? With a history of criminal offenses and mental illness, and now this trauma on top of that, I just wonder what this guy's life is going to be like.

I think Robert Kirkman's reaction said it best (i'm paraphrasing):

Yes, it's all fun to speculate the "End is Nigh" and the coming Zombie apocalypse...but someone still had his face cannibalized and DIED. Let's try not to forget that...

A very good point. When you hear about something like this it's easy to forget that there's actual people involved.

Hopefully the state will look after him and help him recover in some capacity.

Makes me wonder if the guy does survive and gets all this work done, will he turn his life around? Will this cause him to rethink the decisions that led him to be homeless?

Sadly, I think the prospects for the homeless with mental illness who live on the streets for over thirty years is very grim.

Or will he just be a ward of the state, going from hospital to hospital? With a history of criminal offenses and mental illness, and now this trauma on top of that, I just wonder what this guy's life is going to be like.

From the National Coalition for the Homeless:

Approximately 16% of the single adult homeless population suffers from some form of severe and persistent mental illness (U.S. Conference of Mayors, 2005). Despite the disproportionate number of severely mentally ill people among the homeless population, increases in homelessness are not attributable to the release of severely mentally ill people from institutions. Most patients were released from mental hospitals in the 1950s and 1960s, yet vast increases in homelessness did not occur until the 1980s, when incomes and housing options for those living on the margins began to diminish rapidly. According to the 2003 U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Report, most homeless persons with mental illness do not need to be institutionalized, but can live in the community with the appropriate supportive housing options (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2003). However, many mentally ill homeless people are unable to obtain access to supportive housing and/or other treatment services. The mental health support services most needed include case management, housing, and treatment.

Combine that with a likely addiction disorder (same source):

The relationship between addiction and homelessness is complex and controversial. While rates of alcohol and drug abuse are disproportionately high among the homeless population, the increase in homelessness over the past two decades cannot be explained by addiction alone. Many people who are addicted to alcohol and drugs never become homeless, but people who are poor and addicted are clearly at increased risk of homelessness. Addiction does increase the risk of displacement for the precariously housed; in the absence of appropriate treatment, it may doom one's chances of getting housing once on the streets. Homeless people often face insurmountable barriers to obtaining health care, including addictive disorder treatment services and recovery supports.

Despite the stereotype of most homeless being old guys, the largest percentage of homeless are actually children (same source):

In 2003, children under the age of 18 accounted for 39% of the homeless population; 42% of these children were under the age of five (National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, 2004). This same study found that unaccompanied minors comprised 5% of the urban homeless population. However, in other cities and especially in rural areas, the numbers of children experiencing homelessness are much higher. According to the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, in 2004, 25% of homeless were ages 25 to 34; the same study found percentages of homeless persons aged 55 to 64 at 6%.

I've had some first hand experience with child homelessness as my two oldest were homeless prior to being taken into foster care and adopted by my wife and me. Few can comprehend the horrors they've been through, though you'd never know now.

I wax lyrical about my first visit to San Diego in 2008 ,how great the Con was & how beautiful the city was .......I rarely mention the other sights I saw. I booked late...very late & found myself accomodation in a rather modest Motel on the wrong side of town about a mile & a half(?) from the Convention Hall,I had little choice ...there or nowhere. Each morning I walked to the Con & the stark contrast between where I started my journey & where I ended it was almost unbelievable...within a few hundred yards of each other people were sleeping in luxury hotels whilst others were sleeping rough. These people weren't drunks or addicts ,many would pass the time of day with me & nobody asked for anything....they were just homeless.

Humbling.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Yeah, it happens in every metropolitan city. In Houston the convention center, 5 star hotels and baseball park were all built in the worst part of town. On purpose. Because that's where the land was. So they leveled a big flop house right next door to a homeless center and now expect people to pay $15 to park and walk half a block past all the people of the street. It blows my mind. Why would you build expensive public attractions in the worst part of town?