UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimates from hell!!!

Nestlé

So I recently bought 2 packs of Indiemates to replace the Shi I have with broken legs. They came in the mail and BOTH of them have crappy Shis. What the hell?

I haven't broken the legs yet. Any idea on how I can get them moving?

Erm there is no "Shi" which minimate are we talking about? :)

T.

I think he means Kabuki...

Is that's the case then the legs on my spare broke too :(

Rumor has it a lil wd40 helps if you can get it in the joint or to use a hairdryer to loosen the paint in the socket....

Good luck

T.

Has anyone tried letting the figure sit in hot water for a while to soften the plastic and maybe even dissolve some of the "mold release"? Apparantly, figures that come in plastic trays like Minimates are coated with something called mold release which helps them not to stick to the packaging - I think I read that on Jin Soatome's website.

I don't have Indiemates, but is this the same leg joint problem as Target Nightcrawler? Or is this the knee joint? I remember a thread a while back (by whom I don't know) called "First Aid". Someone's Kabuki's legs broke, and they were asking how to fix it...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, FINALLY found out the source of Nestle's "Shi" thing. Shi is a very similar character to Kabuki, but is different. I can see the confusion. Been wondering on that for a while.

Ok, FINALLY found out the source of Nestle's "Shi" thing. Shi is a very similar character to Kabuki, but is different. I can see the confusion. Been wondering on that for a while.

Heh, so have I.

Um, yeah, I posted that on November 7th. Read up near the top. :D;)

• 3 weeks later...

Every time I see the title of this thread, the theme from Rocky pops into my head. Between Rocky and Kellogg's 2007 is going to be the year from hell.

I'm surprised out of all the parts I've accumulated over the past year or so, I've yet to wring off a leg peg on any of the tight joint figures.

Every time I see the title of this thread, the theme from Rocky pops into my head. Between Rocky and Kellogg's 2007 is going to be the year from hell.

I'm surprised out of all the parts I've accumulated over the past year or so, I've yet to wring off a leg peg on any of the tight joint figures.

And now you have just sealed your doom! Every Rocky mate you buy will be quadriplegic.... :D

• 4 months later...

To be fair, the Kabuki comics by David Mack are well-written and gorgeously-illustrated, but the Shi comics by Billy Tucci are relatively generic T&A "bad girl" comics that smack of bad '90s nostalgia.

• 4 months later...

I was finally able to get a set of Indiemates from ebay for a a good price under £9 postage included so I'm happy. No real faults except Magadalena seems stuck at the waist but i'll have ago at loosening that later.

As a whole I like them and a quick wiki search helped me on who is who in what universe, Witchblade I had heard of already but not the others.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont know if this is relevant or not but ...

When one of my Mates ball joints broke off i broke the other off, found some extremely stiff plastic tubing (i think from a pizza box..those white plastic tripod stands in the middle of the pizza) and drilled a hole to insert the plastic tube through in the hip section.

Following i used my smallest drill bit and drilled a hole on the back end of each of the broken ball joints (slowly!) added super glue and a few extremely tiny toilet tissue strips and glued them on the plastic tubing.

In the end it looks stock / exactly as it did before it broke. Luckily i havent had any other mates break but if i did id use the same method assuming i didnt have a replacement part.

Hey customizer, thanks for the tip! Unfortunately my mental reconstruction of this method is not up to par. Is there any way you could post picks of the steps maybe.

Id love to help in any way.

As far as pics , the figure is already put back together but i suppose i can put together something involving a plastic crotch . <_<

Looking over pic:

1. Notice that hint of the color white on the right side? Thats the plastic rod.

2. On the left you dont see the white as super glue and possibly a tissue strand covered it up.

3. As you know the superglue melts plastic making a bond but the added fiber (tissue or better yet cotton ball fiber) creates an epoxy resin like bond which is stronger. Either way works but if you dont want to do it 2x...take a few minutes to use some cotton ball fiber (or tissue fiber). Ive made entire accessories using that combo lol.

4. In order to hollow out the "hip balls" you'll need a dremel with a dental burr tip -OR- a dental tool (youll be hollowing it out by hand with this) -OR- drill and a drill bit thats smaller in diameter than the broken ball pieces. An analogy would be hollowing out an orange. There would be nothing but a thin skin left.

5. Drill a hole in the hip *exactly * where the balls were connected previously. Make sure the plastic tube ends fit inside of the hollowed out hip balls. If they do and they are a good fit super glue one of the 2 ball tips on one end of the plastic rod (you now have a lolipop looking piece).

6. Insert the tube back in the hip. You now have a hip that could hold one leg. You have a one legged mate lol.

7. Cut the other side of the tube to the proper length, put on the other hollowed out ball and test fit the other leg. If its the width that its supposed to be /looks like the other minimates, your ready to finish up.

8. Glue the plastic tube in the hip.

9. Glue the 2nd hip ball on the other end of the plastic tube (it would be more correct to call it a rod).

10. Let it sit for a while. Whats a while? Meh...15 minutes? You dont want to do this 2x so let it sit lol.

11. Pop your legs back on and your done. Your Mate is as good as new.

Ive had no problems with my mate at all. It performs exactly as it did before the repair job. If i hadnt done the job i wouldnt have known it was done. I dont have any replacement parts (if anyone wants to trade me parts ive got a ton of items to trade) so i just used what i had around. If it was important enough i suppose i could add a dot of brown paint but its not lol. Its exactly the same width as stock form to the millimeter.

post-269-1191647802_thumb.jpg

post-269-1191647822_thumb.jpg

post-269-1191648224_thumb.jpg