UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

Yeah, I can't really imagine Lesnar and Punk peacefully co-existing in a stable right now. Both want to be "the man."

Now they should get them watching My Little Pony in anger class as a Brony chant would be real funny.

EiLPp.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd bet Paul Heyman hires Dr. Shelby to get Punk and Lesnar to coexist. Lesnar hugging Punk is a PPV quality segment! But if the Punk/Lesnar feud is the road they are going to go on, is this a Wrestlemania or a Royal Rumble/non-WM title match? I can't help looking ahead as this just makes me think what next year's Wrestlemania dance card would be...

And I had to see what the UFO was and that is awesome! It doesn't seem like it'd fit hit character right now. But I do like Cesaro. Just wish he had a better gimmick.

And I had to see what the UFO was and that is awesome! It doesn't seem like it'd fit hit character right now. But I do like Cesaro. Just wish he had a better gimmick.

Sometimes I wish WWE would leave wrestlers with their own gimmick that brought them to WWE's attention. it worked with CM Punk but I always get the feeling that the powers that be hate not having total control in WWE, but the best characters for me are the ones where they are allowed to just hype up their natural personality.

Antonio would be fine as Claudio Castinoli and Kassius Ohno would be fine as Chris Hero. Both together they are/where a tag team that would work well in the WWE as the Kings of Wrestling.

As for Punk and Lesner not getting along. thats the whole point Heyman would be able to keep them under control as they are both Heyman guys until they needed to melt down

Yeah, I was thinking it wasn't shown to the audience after I saw the segment. The dirtsheets are saying the audience didn't see it. Not sure if it was a technical difficulty thing or they not wanting to end the show with Goldberg chants. I don't hate Ryback, I just don't have any connection to him or any strong feelings for the character yet.

I actually liked him as the muscle for the Nexus. But yeah, Rybeck is a bore. I just don't think you can really get a guy over by having him beat up jobbers week after week. If they're really trying to recreate Goldberg, they've missed the point a bit. The reason that he got over as big as he did is because they DIDN'T give him a big push right away, but let him kind of sneak up on people. He was treated like a rookie that bursts onto the scene without any expectations (like, say, Kurt Warner or Albert Pujols). I dunno, I think we're all too smart now to fall for this kind of booking any more.

Well, WWE failed to get one monster squash machine over with Tensai, so now they're trying this. Personally, I think they should be going for someone who seems genuinely threatening and that an audience will buy into as threatening. The real templates for that in my mind are guys like Vader or Stan Hansen. And what both of those guys had that lots of other freakishly large guys don't is that they understood the psychology (of wrestling, and of an American audience), and played off the audience as well as their opponents. You can't just stick a guy into that role because he's got huge muscles and roid rage and expect it to work.

Edited by karamazov80

Yeah, I totally agree. See, I don't think it works today, because we all know that this guys not really that much better then the guy he's squashing, the other guy's just taking a beating to make him look good. It's not impressive; it only proves that you can do a series of moves on an opponent that's offering you no resistance. The other big mistake that they make in trying to build these guys is that they put them up against the bottom of the roster. It's really not impressive when you beat Curt Hawkins, know what I mean? Or worse, you're up against the no-name local guy that you outweigh by 50 pounds. We're supposed to be impressed with Rybeck because he beat up the pasty-faced moonlighting gym teacher? Why?

The funny thing is, with the guys you mentioned as being legit threatening, those two were well known for being very stiff. So they really were threatening.

Yeah, I think that's part of why it worked for them. The audience can tell when something is more realistic and brutal. But both of those guys were just believable. Frankly, they were good actors in their way. Ryback's just one of dozens of guys I've seen with that same style/attitude/skill set.

Along with great managers, stables are a crucial missing part of modern rasslin. And when WWE does it, they usually don't do it very well (i.e., NXT). TNA has them I guess, but. . .I just don't want to talk about or think about that company.

I really like that 4 Horseman idea. . .a lot.

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one has commented on last weeks Raw with Punk striking the fan.

Only got around to watching it yesterday and it was heavily edited on UK TV. but as expected there where lots of fans that have recorded footage. Now for what I have seen its a bit hard to put down exactly who is to blame, above all I think Punk overreacted and shouldnt have lashed out I don't blame him and me as joe normal would have prob done the same. It just doesn't do him any good in his standing with the company.

I have looked at some footage and there a few faults, WWE shouldnt have let him go into the crowd as a heel character, the area security were much to slow to get to him and set up a block from fans to stop the shoving and Punk himself should have just kept going out of there if he felt unsafe.

Y0J45.gif

what that gif doesnt show is the kid to left in the black Lesner Tshirt gave punk a shove that because of the steps nearly sends him forward and maybe tumbling. Also the guy that is struck by punk was being pushed it seems into punk from behind by another guy/kid in white and if you look you can seen a hand slap/shove punk in the head from under the fans arm as he reaches up just before punk strikes him. Its hard to say if the elbow to the back of punks head was intentional but in the end I think that was the final straw and he lashed out.

I do think punk is in the wrong for his actions and should have thought before running to the crowd.

Yeah, I think Punk had a right to back those guys off because there was a safety issue with him standing on those steps. But really, security should have been up there doing their job, keeping those kids from pushing him. Unfortunately, the wrong guy got pummeled. Wouldn't surprise me if the WWE integrates this into the storyline somehow.

Past 2 weeks have been pretty much forgettable. Only interesting things were Ryback botching his finisher on Tensai (Tensai seemed to not help him) and the Punk/crowd incident.

I quickly noticed that security isn't following him so it made me think it was a spur of the moment thing or Punk/security was at the wrong place. I don't condone what Punk did but I don't fault him for some measure of self-defense while still trying to do his job. But after watching that scene several times, it took a while to figure out the wrong fan was targeted. The situation sucks for everyone. But I do think it was a mob mentality that just kept snowballing out of control. Probably won't be any WWE talents going into the crowd anytime soon. And I don't feel extremely bad for the fan that got hit since he tried being cool with putting glasses on. I'd want to slap him too.

I was thinking about the parallel of a fan jumping into the ring. Whenever that happens, a wrestler is able to pummel the guy with impunity. If the wrestlers don't want fans going into the ring, then maybe they shouldn't be going into the audience either.

The fans are at fault. Yes, WWE security should have been there, but fans should know better. I know it's a shame that the wrong fan got hit, but I bet we won't see anyone else trying to get funny with CM Punk any time soon.

I haven't really watched Raw much recently. Ever since MNF began, I think. The three hour show just seems like it chock full of filler, so I can't really get up much enthusiasm to turn on the show. I did watch the end of Raw this week, though. I'd be very curious to know if Rybeck's big pop was legit or partially piped in; I couldn't tell. I know I should be happy to have a new face in the ME scene but... it's Rybeck, you know? I just can't get behind him at all. It will be very interesting to see if Punk can carry him to a good match, if they do go that way at HIAC. And what's the other title match? Sheamus and Big Show? Errr.... any one know what the football game is that night?

Yeah. . .still can't get into Ryback. I'm glad the WWE has found someone that the fans can apparently get into, but he's just a big freak. He has no discernible in-ring skills beyond being strong. No mic skills we've seen. No real charisma to my eye, though that's a bit subjective I guess. He's popular for the same reason Goldberg was, and I couldn't stand Goldberg.

Yay for Ryback vs Punk at Hell In A Cell main event... Was hoping for a 3-way, though. I am not against Ryback vs Punk in a feud. But for the WWE Championship? I appreciate something new, but I don't know about this. There is only one good thing about him so far. He can manipulate the crowd to chant his catchphrase. Definitely not an easy accomplishment. I could be wrong but I think it took a little bit for DB to get the yes chant going (yeah, the Wrestlemania 18 seconds helped a lot). But come on, Cena had to do a promo for him on Raw. Couldn't he cut some short and sweet intense promo? In my view, he needs a manager to be a mouthpiece. Only capable good guy manager is Teddy Long. He isn't doing much. Anyway, prove me wrong Ryback. Prove me wrong. Prove. Me. Wrong. Prove! Me! Wrong! PROVE! ME! WRONG! :tongue:

You know, in thinking about a manager for the guy, the name that springs immediately to my mind is... Paul Heyman. Wouldn't that be quite the swerve?;)

Anyway, I think Punk goes into full Ric Flair mode, taking a beating and making his opponent look like a million bucks while still walking (crawling, more likely) out with the title. I doubt I'll watch, though. I didn't watch any of Raw last night, and I can't say I'm particularly invested in anything right now. Like the champ, like the tag team champs, but something's not clicking right now for me.

You know, in thinking about a manager for the guy, the name that springs immediately to my mind is... Paul Heyman. Wouldn't that be quite the swerve?;)

Y'know, having Heyman manage Ryback is about the only thing that could make me a Ryback fan. The idea of Heyman controlling Punk, Ryback and Lesnar and then just raising hell all over Raw fills me with glee...

And it does seem kind of redundant having such a great talker as Heyman managing Punk. Heyman hardly ever speaks for Punk, and for good reason since Punk is so good on the mic. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing Heyman in Punk's corner, giving him advice (usually ignored though it may be), etc. But it seems he would be better used with someone who, y'know, actually needed him like a Ryback or Lesnar.