The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CM Punk opens tonight's RAW. Pipe bomb! I personally haven't been this excited for him in a while. The Punk/Jericho thing was kind of underwhelming.

http://twitter.com/W...037818678837248

And I forgot that Raw starts at eight, so I missed it. Tuned in for the Daniel Bryan/Sheamus match (which was very good), then got caught up on Sunday's Breaking Bad (which was very good), then caught the end of Raw (which was okay). Caught the replay of Punk's promo, which was okay. They're obviously doing a slow turn with him, but I hope he's a bit more pointed next week. He needs to talk about Cena main eventing every show since he's been champ, and Lesnar coming back and going right for Cena even though Punk's the champ. But it's a good start, and I'm all for him ragging on the King's commentary.

One week in, and I remain convinced that AJ's a terrible fit for the GM role. Here's the thing: is she a face? Because I don't feel like I should be cheering her. They really blew it with the wedding last week; Bryan was the one left at the alter after all, so he's the sympathetic one, and AJ just comes off like like the vindictive ex. Who wants to cheer that? Certainly not anyone that's ever been dumped. It's just a bad fit for her skills and persona. If they wanted to have a hot babe in business suits in charge, they should have just gone with Eve.

In other news, here's a very funny clip from Funny or Die with Kurt Angle, of all people. It's a must see:

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2012/07/kurt-angle-funny-or-die-2012-olympics

• 3 weeks later...

So, halfway through Summer Slam.... WWE Championship match is not the ME, that will be Lesnar/HHH...:confused:. I feel that match placement may be giving away the booking here, and that Punk's going over. If Cena was winning, I suspect that would be the final image of SS. But I've been thinking since this match was booked that Cena would win the title by pinning Big Show, so that Cena gets the title but Punk looses. But we'll see, won't we?

Not too much to talk about with the rest of the card (particularly if you're trying to avoid spoilers). The two matches I was interested in, Jericho/Ziggler and Bryan/Kane, both opened the show and were very good. Obligatory Jerry Lawler complaint: During the Jericho/Ziggler match, the King called it "the biggest match Jericho's been in in years". Need I say that CHRIS JERICHO CHALLENGED FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP AT WRESTLEMANIA THIS YEAR?! Jericho was pretty over, by the way, as is Punk. What heel turn?

Okay, show's over, so some thoughts, if I can get the spoiler tag to work...

-Ziggler tapped to Jericho and the Walls. Crowd was pretty hot for the match, and for Jericho. There was a dueling "Let's go Ziggler/Y2J!" chant, with the latter drowning out the former. Nice to see Jericho win, and nice to see him do it as a face. My personal booking would have been to have Ziggler beat Jericho using the briefcase, leading to a ladder match for the MITB case (which Ziggler would also win). You can still do that, by having Ziggler demand a rematch, Jericho saying not interested, and Ziggler putting the case on the line out of desperation.

-Bryan pinned Kane with a rollup while countering a second chokeslam. Unfortunately I missed a good deal of this match while putting my daughter to bed, but I liked what I saw. Bryan is insanely over right now. He needed a big win against a credible opponent.

-Miz pins Mysterio. Match was fine. Mysterio wore a Batman getup.

-Sheamus pinned Del Rio, but the challenger's foot was on the ropes, blatantly. Okay match, but the finish is a bit odd. It protects Del Rio, obviously, but a babyface champ shouldn't be winning like that.

-The tag team titles were successfully defended. I was not watching.

-Well, my earlier prediction was right: Punk won. Big Show actually dominated throughout; as usual, he's much more effective in a multi-man match. Finish had Punk put the Anaconda Vice on Show, but then Cena jumped in with the STF, which looked RIDICULOUS. Seriously, Cena barely had it on his head. Show taps, but the ref isn't sure who should win (note to the ref: Punk. He had the Big Show in his lock first, and he's the champ, so he should be awarded the title. Right?). Cue AJ. She skips to the ring and takes a bafflingly long time in saying simply "Restart the match". Show hits a double choke slam out of the restart, but is unable to get a successful pin on either man. Cena then hits an AA, but Punk dumps him from the ring and steals the pinfall. Nice. Punk celebrates while Cena looks on from outside in disbelief.

-The guy who sings the Summer Slam theme performs it live, and nobody cares. Seriously, it's too awful for words. They're lucky they weren't running in one of the more notoriously tough towns like Philly or Chicago, or this guy would have gotten booed out of the building.

-HHH taps to Lesnar, and MAN was this match bad. Crowd was dead for most of it; could the fat singing guy have been that bad to kill the crowd for this match? It's probably the quietest I can remember for a WWE PPV main event. Mostly just a methodical Lesnar beatdown, but without any of the energy of his Cena beatdown. Match turns a bit when Lesnar goes belly first into the corner of the announce table, and either he was really badly hurt or he just did one of the great sell jobs of all time. After the match, Hunter takes ages getting to his feet, to soak in the respect of the crowd I suppose, though there's quite a loud "You tapped out!" chant. Indeed he did. Only other time I can remember him doing that since he became a MEer was against Cena and Undertaker at WM, so that's pretty good company for Brock. This was definitely the right result, if they want Lesnar to have any credibility.

Good show overall; ME is really the only knock against the show. Nothing really stands out as being ultra-memorable, though. The match of the year, whatever that will be, sure wasn't tonight.

Edited by hellpop

Thanks for the recap. I don't buy PPVs anymore. Actually, I literally can't since we don't have a cable box anymore :lol:

Sounds like a good PPV considering that Bryan got a legit win against a borderline A-lister and that Jericho and Punk won.

Didn't HHH tap out to Benoit at WM, as well?

K80, if you're interested in watching WWE PPVs by slightly less-then-legal means, shoot me a PM.:whistling:

I thought Michaels took the loss in that match, but you're right, it was Hunter. Of course, that match doesn't exist any more, does it?

I love how scared Nighthawk looks of the Dudleys. Never loose that icon, K80.

Only saw the last hour or so of Raw, but it was quite good. Jericho and Ziggler actually have the big one (briefcase vs contract) and Y2J does the Y2Job. Good match, and nice to see Jericho leave as a face for once. Funny, but he gets the reaction HHH was looking for last night. Jericho finally goes over Helmsley!

Punk and Cena had a very good promo to close the show. Maybe Cena's best promo ever, even if he did pander to the crowd a bit (it was a John Cena promo, after all). I love the renewed edge to Punk's character. And Jerry Lawler got beat up, which is always a good thing.:biggrin:

Yeah. . .the last hour was good, and I'll leave it at that :lol:

Despite all his flaws (which are abundant), I think Cena consistently puts on excellent promos, so no surprises there to me. I do love Punk's character's direction, as well. He was right about Lawler though, who was just talking out of his ass saying he turned the back on the fans by beating up Rock or whatever :lol:

Was nice to see Antonio beat whatshisface for the, uh, U.S. Title (or is it Intercontinental?). He needs that strap, and Bryan needs the Smackdown championship. And then, they need to feud, both as heels. For, like, 6 months.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, weird Raw, huh? Oddly enough, I turned the show off just after the Kane and Bryan/ PTP match. So I noticed that the crowd had gone dead silent, as had the commentary, and people running down past the ring, but I didn't learn until yesterday morning that the King had suffered a heart attack. Get well soon, Jerry.

So I only watched the last match at Night of Champions... which delivered, but....

What an odd ending. After a great match in which neither man could put the other away (Punk even pulled out a Rock Bottom), Cena hit a nice German Suplex off the top rope, with a bridge for the pin. But after Cena grabs the title and starts to celebrate, the ref grabs the title and gives it back to Punk. Why? Because Cena had his OWN shoulders on the mat! So the match is a draw. Basically, Cena looses the title by being a dumbass that can't even lift his own fucking shoulders off the mat. It's like they decided to confirm all those "you can't wrestle" chants.

Couple other non-spoiler notes from the match:

-Paul Heyman was out with Punk, and MAN were his reactions throughout the match awesome.

-So the PPV was in Boston, right? Punk's tights and boots: Yankee pinstripes. That's just so great.:biggrin:

-If there were boos for Punk, they were drowned out by the cheers. The WWE will probably never be able to turn his core audience against him. Cena was strongly cheered, incidently.

Anyone watch the whole show? Anything else worth watching? Orton-Ziggler?

Edited by hellpop

-If there were boos for Punk, they were drowned out by the cheers. The WWE will probably never be able to turn his core audience against him. Cena was strongly cheered, incidently.

I didn't catch it. And my guess is the WWE knows they'll never turn the real core of Punk's audience against him. Even when he was douche-supreme in ROH he had his followers who got it, and appreciated what he was doing.

As for the german suplex ending, well, it can happen to the best of them. In fact, I'm pretty sure it happened to Bret Hart once! At one of the early Survivor Series when he was only known as one part of the Hart Foundation, I believe.

You're probably right, K80. They've tried, by having him do things like not wrestle in Chicago. But as long as he's feuding with Cena, those of us that don't care for the Prototype will never turn against Punk. My problem with this storyline is that Punk has been disrespected by not being in the Main Event despite being champ all year. It's not his fault that he took a backseat to Cena and HHH's programs. But it's a big reason why he lost his heat.

Anyway... Raw just opened with Heyman in the ring, speaking for Punk. Then Cena comes out and (deservedly) asks for a rematch tonight. Then Del Rio comes out (to the crowd's collective indifference) and starts talking about Sheamus and all that CRAP. So here comes AJ, and she makes a tag team match... you can guess the participants. And Cena stands there grinning and mouths "thank you" to AJ. My question... why? Shouldn't he be upset to NOT get a title match but instead get put in a meaningless tag match? Babyfaces are so dumb sometimes....

Here's why the three hour Raw is a bad idea: the show is so long, with so much filler, I don't feel like it's important to watch, especially now that football season has started. I watched the beginning, flipped on a few times, then watched the end. Frankly, once I found out that the main event would be a pointless tag match, I probably could have just left Raw off. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with this Heyman/Punk alliance (YOU know what... or who... I mean), but nothing yet.

Yeah, I couldn't start watching until nearly 8, but tuned in for a few minutes, then went off to the NFL and forgot about it being on.

How could you forget about the weekly Kane and DB hug outs?!?! (Hellpop, if you like those segments, watch that match and the backstage celebration at NoC.) I honestly really like those segments every week. Tag division is getting interesting and it was surprising to see two legit tag division matches on Raw. One of the few good things about this 3 hours is more time to build personalities and feuds. Still prefer 2 hours but I think it is a long term strategy to go back to 2 hours but between 8-10ish PM to fit the PG demographic.

Any predictions on next week's tag match or 2 singles matches featuring Punk/Cena? There was the champ vs champ match and Cena/Del Rio a couple of weeks back. What's the next variation? 2 on 1? :biggrin:

Edited by storm 1:08

That was actually the part of the show that I caught :D I didn't think it worked as well as previous weeks, though. Kane is acting more and more against character as time goes on (not as cruel/evil, walking around backstage yelling at everyone that he is the champion), and it still works, but not as well IMO.

I did actually catch the backstage celebration bit at NoC, and it was pretty good. I do agree that they've been one of the best bits recently; tag teams that don't get along are as old as time, but this angle still feels fresh somehow. And I also agree that it's nice to see some actual tag teams again.

I think Del Rio's program with Sheamus is finally at an end... thankfully. The rumor was that Big Show was going to return last night and take Sheamus out, leading to the inevitable question: did anyone notice Big Show hasn't been around? What I would REALLY like to see would be a Sheamus/Orton program, built around the idea that Sheamus is still an ass, even though he's a babyface, and with Ziggler lurking in the background.

Kane does seem out of character. But thinking about it, I rationalize it as an extreme obsessive compulsiveness part of this psychotic nature. But where's Dr. Shelby?

Where's Big Show? I actually was thinking where the Big Show was last night after the show. Not that I cared for him to be back. And I can't say I would be excited about any program he becomes involved with. Sheamus/Del Rio continuing is more appealing to me than Sheamus/Big Show only due to Ricardo getting air time.

Ryback in IC title hunt? No thanks.

Got to watch NoC better bits for me where Bryan and Kane, those to actually did make me laugh. Now they should get them watching My Little Pony in anger class as a Brony chant would be real funny.

Ziggler and Orton Ziggler shows again for me why he's one of the better ones around by selling another good match not an Orton fan be he face or heel but I do like Ziggler. I understand the loss her as If Ziggler does cash in and get the belt from Shamus it will put Orton right in line for the belt from Ziggler and I think that's the overall target without changing Orton's or Sheamus face push.

Antino Cesareo. I liked this guy in ROH so glad to see him pulling out an old move. The Pop Up European Uppercut is a nice move when he does it right but It didn't look right on this outing. Now if they let him do the UFO (unidentified Flying Opponent) that would pop the crowd.

CM Punk and Cena. Good match from these two and I'm not the world biggist Cena fan but he did pull out a few extra moves in this match. I still think WWE is having trouble with ppl getting behind Punk as a heel but Heyman will help with that.

I can see punk retaining at the next PPV as I think WWE wants a kinda year of Punk thing. I do have a little thought on whats going to happen and this is just my mind running through stuff.

Heyman has Punk and Lesner together team up. They can even go on to take the tag titles from Kane and Bryan. Lesner then keeps needling Punk for a shot at his WWE title, with Punk not going for it as they are "both Heyman guys" this finally boils down to Lesner attacking Punk and Heyman siding with Lesner. This allows for Lesner to get the Title. Punk to either stay tweener or go face as he has been lead on an and betrayed by Heyman and finally WWE to get the title on Cena when Lesner leaves.