UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

I watched the latest NXT episode an one little bit I liked is part of a move done by the new Lucha/masked wrestler Kalisto (Samurai Del Sol)

He kinda does a run into forward dive over the opponent landing on his hands, hand steps a few times back into a headsissors its not the whole move together which I like just the forward dive into the handstand bit as its very quick and is a nice bit of balance.

first move on this youtube clip

Edited by MiniFiend UK

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So any predictions for Sunday? Sure looks like Roman Reigns is winning the title. I personally think he should win the title, then Rollins cashes in the briefcase on him leading to a 3-way between the former Shield members for the title. Rollins wins, then faces Bryan at SummerSlam (if he's ready).

I'm guessing it's too soon to put the title on Reigns. I expect Reigns gets to keep feuding with Orton for now, then maybe Triple H at SummerSlam.

Cena wins the title on Sunday because he's the safe choice. And maybe sets up Brock / Cena at SummerSlam.

I'm guessing Ambrose cost Rollins his chance at the briefcase, causing their feud to continue. I would have picked Barrett to win, but with his injury, who knows?

Assuming a Lesnar title match is forthcoming at Summerslam, I would actually like to see Orton win. Would be a shame to let a new guy like Reigns or Cesaro hold the title for just a couple months. And an Orton/Lesnar match could be very interesting if set up the right way. But yeah, probably Cena.

Maybe Orton wins and Rollins cashes in on him, with Hunter's help, causing an Orton turn? That could work. But Meltzer thinks that whomever wins is going to wrestle Brock at SummerSlam, and there really isn't a lot of guys in either ladder match that make sense as a Brock opponent. So it will probably be Cena. rolleyes.gif

Summer what? Excuse me but I'm still mourning the loss of Vicky. That was a heck of a start to Raw instead of a generic "you're fired" segment. I really got behind her in that moment. And it was nice she finally came out to Eddie's old music. Not too happy about the mud thing, but at least she went out with a bang.

It's probably the least humiliating thing they've ever done to her. It always bugged me that the widow of a beloved legend was treated that way, by both the company and the fans. But she was very good in her role.

BTW, Jericho has Edge and Paul Heyman both on his podcast this week. I listened to the first part earlier today (the second will be out Friday) and it's outstanding. Lots of stuff about Lesnar and Punk, and a great bit about wrestlers who are afraid of heights.

Edited by hellpop

Yeah no big surprises, but the MitB matches were decent enough. Each match had its moments. I believed Ambrose's injury at first, but now not so sure. He sold it well and I thought it was a jab at Barrett's shoulder injury. Orton, I didn't believe his injury at first until I saw the blood coming out. Glad he was able to finish the match okay enough.

When Ambrose came running back, my initial response was the same as JBL's--"oh, that's real fair. Guy gets a nice 10 minute breather or so while everyone else has to duke it out!" Seemed fake to me, as a means of building up some hype when he ran back into the match.

By the way, I haven't seen much of Adam Rose, and after last night, I hope that's a trend that continues.

Not watched the PPV yet but I know the results. being a ROH/indy I know how good Ambrose and Rollins can be and I'm glad others may realise wrestlers dont just appear in WWE.

The other half of Switchblade Conspiracy tag team is in NXT at the moment and putting Ambrose in scruffy street clothes. Him and Moxley (Solomon Crowe) wrestled this way and their chramisa was great.

I admit WWE vince is great at repacking wrestlers but to me at times at the expence of what gets their attention. As aleways playing close to your own personality seems to get the best results.

I thought Ambrose looked a bit generic last night with the wife beater, and Rollins did look a bit silly with the Singer X-Men armor shirt. For the best that he took it off pretty quickly into the match.

I thought it was an okay show. I missed the opening match- which sounds like it would have been my favorite- since we were taking a family walk and the Layla/Summer match- which sounds like I would have hated- because I decided that would be the time to switch my laundry.

The MITB match was pretty good, but it suffered from the fact that it was basically a two-person match with six men. Since we knew that there was no way Kofi, Swagger, RVD, or (sniff) Dolph were getting the briefcase, it meant that every time they teased going up the ladder it felt like a waste. In the main event, you had more of an air of mystery, but I didn't really think anyone stood out except for, of all people, Sheamus. Still don't know why that guy isn't more over.

And I really liked the Rusev/ Big E match. I liked that they built off their last match, that the announcers picked up on that, and that both guys looked really strong. It's an old school angle with old school characters, but it was actually pretty refreshing. I predict that they are going to match Rusev up with Sheamus for the US title at SummerSlam, which may be a sleeper really good match.

In the main event, you had more of an air of mystery, but I didn't really think anyone stood out except for, of all people, Sheamus. Still don't know why that guy isn't more over.

For me, it's because he's not interesting as a character, doesn't have much charisma/mic skills, and isn't great in the ring. I did notice that they allowed him a few minutes to do all his signature moves to everyone, which of course is a kiss of death in a match like this. I actually thought he could have been a dark horse candidate, if the Authority wanted to eschew Orton and go with him as someone new that had the look that they could support. But of course, no. I didn't think any of the other guys stood out either, though. Reigns also had a moment when he was allowed to do his moves to everyone.

A couple of other thoughts I had--early on in the MOTB match, I started really rooting for Kingston. I told my wife he had almost no chance of winning, but he's been working for so long, doing such a good job, with so little to show for it. Unfortunately, he's just never moving out of the mid-card, similar to Ziggler, but I thought it would have been cool for the WWE to give him this last night, and maybe one good push just to see what would happen.

I enjoyed the Gold/Stardust vs. Rybaxle match, though the audience was pretty dead and didn't seem to care much for Cody. Too bad, because I love me some Starman:

g1ed35f4f.jpg

Kofi almost getting the briefcase got me out of my seat and I believed it for a second. But yeah, that match was mainly about Ambrose and Rollins. Too bad Barrett wasn't in the match. He was the only other person outside of Rollins and Ambrose who had some sort of momentum. And I liked both tag matches. Anyone else notice there was 2 of each match last night? Singles, tag, divas, MitB. I wouldn't have noticed if not for 2 Divas matches on a PPV, which is rare.

So, who thought of Bo Dallas's nickname during the pre-show? Bo-ner... dry.png

So overall, that was an unexpected and very surprising night with lots of new stuff going on. Almost every segment had something interesting and ended the run of lackluster RAWs. Definitely a more memorable night than MitB.

-Swagger/Coulter turned and next American meal for Rusev.

-Barrett officially stripped and new champ via battle royal at Battleground.

-Funkadactyls probably split.

-First match that ended in commercial break/WWE App possibly ever in the Cesaro/Kingston match?

-Khali returns (okay not interesting).

-Vince returned! Except it was really Sandow...

-Miz returns as his old annoying self but more Hollywood-ized.

-Rock on WWE App promoting Hercules movie.

-Eden (Cody's wife) begins announcing on WWE App.

-Ziggler finally gets a feud and possible girl in Summer Rae.

SURPRISE1:

Jericho returns!

SURPRISE2:

Wyatts attack Jericho!!

SURPRISE3:

AJ Lee returns and wins Divas title!!! And possible double turn...?

-And the obligatory CM Punk chants, Cena being put in an unwinnable PPV match, and false cash-in.

Edited by storm 1:08

Miz at least was a heel. And he did get off a good line after Jericho dared to interrupt him: "I'm the Marine, dammit!"

It was an eventful Raw. Unfortunately, I missed a good portion of it after I turned off the TV because of the awful Santino/ Adam Rose Twisted Tea promo. No Jericho for me. sad.png Did see AJ's return, which was cool. I missed her. Hopefully, the heel turn will help Paige out because she was not cutting it as a lily-white babyface. I like her, but MAN was that a bad promo she cut. The funny part was, during the promo, Paige said something like "no one wants to see me defend my title tonight", and everybody cheered and chanted "Yes!". Paige and AJ looked confused, but AJ covered by saying "let's poll the crowd, who wants to see you defend your title", and they cheered again. How fickle.

Kind of stunned they turned Swagger and Coulter. I mean, it makes sense with the characters, but I don't think they work as babyfaces at all. Perhaps they will swerve us and they will join with Rusev and Lana?

So Ziggler doesn't get Flair but gets Summer Rae? Yeah, that's a good consolation prize. I just hope that doesn't mean he's locked into an endless cycle of mixed tag matches.

Speaking of endless cycles... CAN THE RHODES BROTHERS AND RYBAXLE POSSIBLY WRESTLE SOMEONE ELSE?gah.gif

Swagger has been so insignificant over the last few years. Basically just filler. He's the kind of guy I can see a face this week, and a heel next week, with no explanation because they just don't give a shit. Definitely tough to imagine a face version of him and Coulter going against anyone who isn't virulently anti-American, but we'll see.

Funny how the fairly strong tag team division of about 6 months ago has really petered out. Now, we've got what, 4 tag teams in the whole company that will get any kind of TV time? Rybaxle, the Rhodes's, the Usos, and the Wyatts? That's good news for Rybaxle, who otherwise might have both have been "future endeavored" by now.