UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

Another great NXT special. I was really into the opening bout and the last 2 matches. I didn't think the surprise at the end would happen so soon, but I'm not complaining. And Becky really stepped up tonight and had a breakout match. Every Takeover event has a great Divas match that outshines almost, if not, all matches on the card.

As for TNA, I still enjoy them and hope for the best for the talent. NXT is really stacked right now but I would still love to see some names move over.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I liked the main event in that it played into the first match, with Sami kicking Owens' ass for the majority of the match before taking that power bomb. It doesn't make for a great finish, but it does help to build for, hopefully, one final encounter between the two in which they will really tear the house down. It was cool to see Joe come out, using his real name and being acknowledged as an outside star. That's the kind of thing WWE doesn't seem to want to do on the main stage any more, even though you can see from this reaction alone how well it works.

I wonder how long Owens will be on NXT. I suspect Regal might strip him of the title, based on his actions last night. My own dream is that he takes out somebody before the MITB match and talks HHH into inserting him into the match. He hems and haws, but decides it's best for business. Owens wins. Rollins also wins whatever match he has. The next night they're doing one of those in-ring celebrations with Rollins they like so much. Here comes Owens. Rollins says he can't defend the title now, he's not even dressed. Owens says he doesn't care, this contract entitles him to a match whenever he wants, and he wants it now. Rollins pleads with Hunter, who decides to let it go forward. Clearly, he wants to see what happens, and won't let anyone interfere. Owens pins Rollins, and is the Authority's new champ. Rollins is pissed, but is still an Authority member... at least for now.

I thought Owens, in his confrontation with Cena on Monday, proved that he belongs on the main roster right now. He's a hugely compelling character, and they should run with him.

I like Owens as well, but damn. Give him the NXT title in about a month, move him to the main roster within 6 months, and then give him the world title a couple of matches in? I don't know if he's that good or deserving laugh.png

@K80: Strike while the iron is hot!

@bigvis: Zayn only took one bump the entire match, on the power bomb, and you can see him lean in with his good shoulder to take it. Even though the match went seven minutes, he didn't do anything that would hurt himself. Heck, I was more worried for him throwing his arms around while walking to the ring then I was at any point in the match.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that Kevin Owens/Cena match was incredible. Owens is totally ready for the big stage. And I did not see that ending coming. Curious where they plan on going with this. Maybe grooming Owens to take on Lesnar, since no one else on the roster can?

Owens is now on the main roster, full time. I'm kind of surprised he won't be in the MITB match, as I thought for sure that he would win that, then vacate the NXT title. They obviously have big plans for him. I only caught the very end of that match, unfortunately, but I will make a point to watch it back as I hear it was great. Of the rest of the card, I only saw the main event, which I thought was very weak. They've been booking Rollins so badly. He and Cena both won their titles on the same night. Since then, Cena was undefeated before tonight, while Rollins has lost several matches. Kevin Owens pinned John Cena in a nontitle undercard match, while Dean Ambrose pinned Seth Rollins seemingly for the WWE championship. Even before the reversal, which win felt like a bigger deal? Who seemed like more of a star in winning? Exactly.

Only watched the Cena Owens fight. It was good but I've watched Owens/Steen for years on ROH, PWG and others to se what he can really do and it just me knowing we wont see alot of that stuff anymore :( . I did flip out when I thought he was going to Package Piledrive Cena but they wussed out on that an turned it into a powerbombish move.

If they give Kev the ability to be his own person I have not seen anyone in wrestling today that can legit get heat out of the fans as a heel since Bubba Dudley in ECW.

I have to be the only person who doesn't like Owens. I hate that he wears basketball shorts and he's pretty out of shape. It really started back in ROH, when story has it, that he didn't want to lose weight, get in better shape and he was complaining about losing or not getting his way. Now he's this savior to smarks to beat Cena. The match last night was one of the better Owens matches I've seen but it's not because of Owens.

Samoa Joe is finally in WWE and while he's not the shining star of physically fit, he looks better than ever now and his cardio is ridiculous. His work is some of the best anywhere and he's an established star. Once he starts wrestling on the active roster, I'm almost positive Owens will sink into obscurity again like he was when ROH had the best talent in the world.

The IC chamber last night was one of the laziest, worst matches in years. No one looked like they were trying and the last minute substitutions really killed any hype that match and belt had. Back to obscurity, IC title! Can't wait for that sweet ass Roidback run.

Rollins is a good heel champ and the match with Dean was ok but I'm not sure where they're going with everything. Anytime the authority is on, I leave the room so whatever. It'd be cool to see the Shield back though, wonder if they could make it work with Rollins as champ or not.

It's funny, that after the Cena/Owens match last night, my first thought was that Owens must be in incredible condition. He was barely breathing hard, despite having gone through a pretty intense match. I know from first hand experience that you can be in good aerobic condition and still be fat :lol: Took me years to learn that you have to change diet to lose weight.

Edited by karamazov80

I didn't really get Kevin Owens in NXT, but I am loving him in WWE. Mostly because it is something new, exciting, and must see. And so far in the WWE, he has delivered in the ring and in promos. I also only watched the Owens/Cena match from EC and thought it was great. No need to see the rest of the PPV to know it was the match of the night. The rematch is coming up at MITB in 2 weeks so Cena will probably win. Either way, I'm enjoying this storyline. Heck, I've been enjoying the John Cena US Open Challenge due to its unpredictability (well, other than Cena winning of course).

Speaking of Samoa Joe, it seems like he is appearing on WWE Superstars this week in a match. And rumors are saying he signed a full time contract. I didn't think WWE would go for guys like him and Owens without giving them some ridiculous gimmick. But I am pleasantly surprised and happy they are getting an actual opportunity. Samoa Joe is one of those guys I always loved watching throughout the years in TNA. With so much talent around, how can the main roster support so many up and comers from NXT?

Edited by storm 1:08

Nobody seems to know if the match Joe worked last night (vs Tyson Kidd, btw) was just a dark match or for TV. I'd be shocked if they debuted him on the main roster on Superstars, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Owens is great. He carries himself like a star and he's different from everyone else on the roster. He was on Jericho's podcast last week and he came off as a guy that's both down to earth but confident in his abilities. I hope they don't f**k him up.

For some reason, Joe seems like a guy WWE will try to neuter to my eyes. He is most strongly associated with TNA, and he's fat. Other examples of overweight "monsters" who made it big in another company, then moved over to WWE? Vader, and more recently Tensai. They never even bothered with Scott Norton, despite the fact that he could be a beast in the ring (former IWGP heavyweight champ). Even Bam Bam Bigalow, who did well for himself in Japan, was criminally misappropriated in WWE.

I saw that yesterday. Its amusing because its hard to say if he is in character all the way through that or if its him being himself. Either way its good. I do know that he an cornette dont get along. I do hope he does well as I loved his stuff in ROH especially the SCUM run and the series with El Generico/Sami Zayn

• 2 weeks later...

just read that. I was never a big fan but I do remember his run with sapphire and the polka dots. Supposdly that was a gimmick given to him as a joke an to bury him wrestling wise and he turned it into a hit.

RIP Dusty, son of a plumber

Yeah, the story was that Vince stuck him with an awful gimmick to humble and embarrass him. But he got over, because he's Dusty Rhodes. I was also never a big fan, mostly because of his WWE run when I first saw him, but I came to appreciate him as I got older and got to see some of his more memorable stuff. Definitely an all-time great.