UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

I only saw the last two matches (Charlotte/Bayley and the 4 way), but was very impressed. Both matches were great, and told great stories. Charlotte is amazing. If you watched that match, and had no idea about her lineage, and someone told you afterwards she was Ric Flair's daughter, you'd say "of course!" She carries herself like a star. And Bayley was the perfect foil; I loved that beat right at the end, after Bayley kicked out of Charlotte's (somewhat botched) moonsault, and Bayley just has this amazing look on her face. Great stuff.

I've heard some people say the first part of the 4-way was boring, but I thought it was great from start to finish. I loved the way Tyson Kidd was allowed to dominate the match (particularly since he was eating the pin). But that finish...! My God. It reminded me a bit of when CM Punk cashed in the MITB briefcase on Jeff Hardy, and even though he did nothing wrong it was still a heel turn because he screwed over the guy no one wanted to see screwed over. But I'm glad they did it like that, though, because now I really want to see Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville.

NXT reminds me a lot of ECW at its' peak, with a small devoted following and performers that really understand their gimmicks. Yeah, I guess you could say that the show won me over.biggrin.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That Charlotte (with Ric) vs. Natalya (with Bret) was the last Takeover show, I believe. Best women's match I've seen in a long time. If ever!

I finally caught up to Takeover on Hulu this past weekend. Easily more watchable than any of the main WWE shows. I will a little confused about the Bull/Mojo match being so short, especially after the squash match with Baron Corbin earlier. But the women's title and the NXT title matches were some good matches. The 4-way started off a little slow for me in the beginning, but had me at the end. The end was interesting. Well within the rules, as the announcers noted. But causes some more interesting tension. All those Breeze false finishes had me out of my seat. And Charlotte is becoming one of those wrestlers where I actually have to watch her matches undistracted. But when she gets called up, I think the women's division is still safe with Bailey and Sasha around.

I am still behind on my WWe by along stretch (still not watched battleground onwords). But NXT an ROH are my go too's.

I enjoyed NXTT2 as a whole but it didnt bring any breakout stars that ppl want to the main roster.

Corbin Whatever his name is...His finish may be cool but he canr do it to bigger guys. The whole reason for me guys like SCSA, Hogan, Flair etc worked is no matter the other persons size there move just carried. Sorry but Bigshow etc aint going to let a 1 arm sideslam into a a rockbottom work. Even the 619 was more on oppont placement an speed then strength.

Tag match great.needs more Kalisto but I understand the hot tag...They will have the titles maybe not this year comming but to win the titles at a PPV because WWE want the guinness record for masks. They wanted it for Rey an Sincara an that foldded so now they start again.

Diva's match Good again because more time allowed. I have said before I like AJ, Paige etc An I think Baily done right with the head bands on the main bit little girls would love her.

Bull Dempsey...Go away Rusev does it better

4 way..great loved it...Tyler Breeze great bad guy like a new version of Rick the Model but he aint at the lvl of Rick Rude until he gets that he is just a version of Shawn Miceals without Sherri

Sami Zayn...One of the most talented guys going but he suffers the same way as D-Byrn to slim an is a better undrer dog then champ

Neville...One of the best high flyers today but to prgress he needs a ground finiher not just a twist splash an his ears pinned

An as for Natties husband great wrestler but thats now his gimmick. If they Split an he does indies he will get Natties Ex etc. he needs to except that an play on it

Bret Hart would often comment about the fact that to be a good champion, or a good all around wrestler in general, you had to be able to wrestle against guys of different styles and sizes, even if you're a smaller guy. And he cites good matches he had with Bam Bam Bigalow, Diesel, Razor Ramon, Yokozuna, and others.

First match that came to mind regarding smaller guy vs bigger guy was CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar. Even I thought it might turn into a squash match, but I remember that it came out to be a really good one. Made me sad that the Bryan vs Lesnar match didn't pan out. But I guess the Suplex Fest featuring John Cena made bigger news.

I caught up to Smackdown and was glad that RAW followed up on the Miz with his stunt double, Damien Mizdow, vs Dolph Ziggler with his stunt double, R-Ziggler. For me, that easily was the best entertaining thing WWE has done in a while.

And then there was this video. I admit to kind of enjoying it like a bad movie.

If I had to pick the best smallish vs. big guy feud, I might go with Flair and Vader. They had some great matches, and were two of the most entertaining guys to watch in that period of time for completely different reasons of course. Regarding Lesnar, his match with Eddie Guerrero where he lost the championship was really good as I recall, but I haven't watched it in years.

Lesnar vs Punk was my favorite WWE match last year. Really a great match, with great psychology. I have no doubt that Lesnar/Bryan, once Bryan is healthy, will be great.

I don't remember Vader vs Flair, but Vader's matches with Sting were great, as was his match with Shawn Michaels. Vader was really really good.

• 3 weeks later...

Still miles behind on my WWE. I've been sticking to watching NXT, ROH and some indy stuff. Speaking of indy stuff FWE gave the first night of their refuelled Ippv for free. honestly its not too bad

Skim to what you want to watch. I would recommend The Intergender tag match with Dreamer/Ivelesse Vs Joey Ryan/Candice La Rae and The Bad Influence V Young Bucks.

No cable, so since my WWE subscription expired I've been almost totally out of the loop. Just not that interested without Punk or Danielson I guess, despite Rollins getting a pretty sizable push apparently.

Well, you ain't missing much. Raw's been horrible for weeks. HORRIBLE. Downright unwatchable. The episodes without Ambrose are some of the worst you'll ever see. Even with him back, it's still terrible. This week had an extended skit with Adam Rose, Kathie Lee Gifford, and her friend Hoda. I flipped the show on, saw them walking to the ring, and never turned it back on. At this point my spirit is pretty much broken. HOWEVER, the Royal Rumble will be here in Philly, and for the first time ever I'm gonna go to a WWE PPV. Fingers crossed Daniel Bryan is back by then.

Say what you will about WWE, but you leave Hoda Kotb out of this. She was a New Orleans reporter/anchor for many years, and a damn good one. Her turn toward Kathie Lee and alcoholism (presumably as a result of having to work with Kathie Lee) are sad, pitiable things.

Congrats on getting to go to the Rumble! My first WWE PPV was also a Rumble, in 2001 I believe.

Edited by karamazov80

Sorry man, but after she did a "sexy" dance and broke a wine bottle over her ass, I'm not sure she deserves your support.

I should say that I'm intending to go to the Rumble, since right now the only tickets that appear to be available are the super expensive ones, and no way my wife's letting me blow a grand on this thing. But I think she might go with me, which is pretty amazing. I'm kind of excited. The Rumble is always fun, and I think the Philly crowd will be something else. They actually talked about it on the Bryan and Vinny show today (available for free right here!), and how the crowd hijacked the Rumble last year and what Philly might do (especially if the Eagles aren't in the playoffs any more; we'll all be in a bad mood).

Should be a good Rumble. Expected return of Daniel Bryan. Word is it's going to have 40 men. Not sure how to feel about that, hopefully it doesn't include JBL, Lawler, and Cole. Should provide space for some surprises while still getting all the lower card guys in there. Hopefully some NXT guys get a shot as well.

• 2 months later...

So, I haven't written about wrestling recently, since WWE has been so bad. SO BAD. mad.gif I didn't even buy Rumble tickets because my interest in the product is so low that I plum forgot they were going on sale (and, in fact, I missed all but the end of the main event of Survivor Series because I forgot about that as well). But I have started to get into NXT, and OH MY GOD THE SAMI ZAYN-ADRIAN NEVILLE MATCH LAST NIGHT. Easily the best match in the WWE since MITB 2011. The atmosphere in the building was incredible, and the buildup, which had been so good, paid of perfectly. It's hard to believe that the same company that's screwing up so badly on Raw and Smackdown can do everything right here.

Rest of the show was great as well. I did skip a bit, but really enjoyed what I saw. Kevin Owens, Finn Balor, Charlotte and Sasha Banks all looked like future stars. Just a great night of wrestling.buttrock.gif

They can't risk allowing the good writers and wrestlers into prime time! The execs don't think very highly of their primary audience base IMO. And the behind the scenes politics probably don't help things.

I havent watched WWE in ages just cant get motivated for it, but I still watch NXT which I think is very good. liking they let Finn Balor (Prince Devitt) go with his body paint, just google Prince Devitt for some of the cool comic based body paint he has worn in the Indy's. WWE prob wont allow direct copies for fear of being sued by whomever but I'm sure they can come up with some original designs for him.

Balor was the leader of the Bullet Club before NXT and I've been watching some Indy stuff with some great Young Bucks tag matches in it. The one at house of Hardcore 7 againsts the Hardys is great as well as the ROH stuff they have had against Christopher Daniels and Kazarian . I honestly couldn't stand the Bucks in TNA as GenMe but since they are hooked up with the Bullet Club they have really ramped up their arrogence and jerkyness factor and instead of ppl hating on them they are loving it.

Not watched all of NXT Revolution yet just up the Ladies match so got the main event to go.

One of the things I really like about NXT is that they are clearly allowing these guys to be themselves. Kevin Owens is just Kevin Steen. Sami Zayn isn't Generico, but they don't hide his past either. Finn Balor is allowed to use his creativity, and he delivered a unique entrance (in addition to a fine match) that really made him stand out. Charlotte isn't just Ric Flair's daughter, she's a unique performer in her own right. Unfortunately, after Vince's podcast with Steve Austin, whatever fading confidence I had in his ability to get the most out of his talent is gone. Take Adrian Neville; he's a great talent, but how long will it be once he's called up before he's stuck in meaningless midcard matches with the Miz? How long will it be before JBL buries him for having funny ears? "He looks like Golum Maggle!" wallbash.gif

I just saw that apparently the WWE Network has no 6 month commitment now. You just cancel whenever you want. Probably a bad sign, in that they are doing everything they can to try and maximize viewership in the short term. But I'll probably pick it back up, just to catch up a bit on the last few PPVs, and NXT, then go month to month deciding if I want to keep renewing.

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 weeks later...

eek

online stuff says neville will be called to the main roster with some sort of little guy mighty mouse gimmick. Now understand he aint built like a house but he has skills. For me vince needs to look more at Nxt as worldwide it gets rave reviews more over then raw or smackdown just stagnates

To be fair, NXT has a big advantage over the main roster in that they only have one week of TV (plus quarterly specials) to fill, so they don't have to burn through angles or repeat matchups ad nauseum. But there's really no excuse for WWE to be as poorly booked as it is. Remember a few months ago, when then Rhodes Bros wrestled Rybaxel every show for like two months? There's no reason for that. At all.

Neville is an amazing talent. He's a great wrestler, was a great champion, and was an excellent foil for Sami Zayn. And I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they will fail to get him over when he's called up. He's short and has big ears. Can't you just hear JBL? "He looks like Gollum Maggle!" The Mighty Mouse gimmick as I understand it (he's small but strong) isn't necessarily bad, but why does he need a gimmick? Can't being awesome be his gimmick?

Raw, btw, was better then usual this week. Daniel Bryan's promo was really the highlight, though.