UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

16 German Suplexes and 2 tiny short-lived comebacks by Cena. That was a literal squash and easily the best match I've seen in a while. I was really disappointed by Reigns though, he had the charisma of a ringpost and Orton was the clear star of that match and shined throughout.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wasn't even paying attention to the Reigns match to be honest. Seems like we've seen quick championship squashes against champs from time to time (Diesel/Bob Backlund probably being the worst I remember, but we see them pretty frequently now with the Money in the Bank stuff), but this kind of domination and humiliation? Against "the man?" Unheard of. It was like Vader circa 1993 having fun with a jobber for 20 minutes.

I thought the ending was kind of lame (head goes through cinder blocks like that?), but the rest that I saw was great. Audience was super into it, as well. These are the kinds of guys who should be headlining PPVs. Heyman made another stellar promo, as usual. I thought Stephanie was great.

Edited by karamazov80

I can't see anyone being a legit contender for Brock after the ass whooping he gave Cena at Summer Slam. Reigns has the look, but that is about it at this point. I can't see him being a champion for quite a while yet with all the work he could still use. Cesaro has lost his momentum unfortunately, so I can't see him as a challenger at this point. Even though Angle is getting pretty old he can still put on one hell of a match. I think it would be great to see another Brock vs. Angle match in the near future. Honestly though, who could they put up against Brock that people would actually think could stand a chance? Brock DESTROYED Cena at Summer Slam.

For what it's worth, Dave Meltzer was full of praise for Dean Ambrose on Monday, saying "he's the guy, it just depends on how long it takes them to recognize it". I have to agree; Ambrose is the first guy that really reminds me of when Austin first got hot. I've always thought that WWE won the Monday Night Wars simply because we wanted to see what Austin would do next, and Dean Ambrose has the same vibe. It's too bad he's going off to film a movie now, but I imagine the reaction to his return will be insane. Ambrose vs Lesnar is the match I want to see, because who the hell knows what that would be like? Lesnar vs Reigns will just be a match. Big whoop.

I don't know about Ambrose. I like him, and would love to see him compete in the main event every now and again, but he's no Austin IMO. I think he gets more over due to the intersection of his personality and in-ring work, as opposed to personality alone which really drove support of Austin (even though he was quite good in the ring, I don't think most cared for that so long as he stomped mudholes, flipped off his opponent, stunned them, and drank some Steveweisers). The fact that he's being paired against Rollins all the time definitely contributes to that, as I think Rollins is one of the 3 or 4 best guys in the company, in terms of in-ring skills. We'll see, though. If Rollins and Ambrose somehow transformed into the Austin/Rock for the next generation, I would be pleased as punch.

I do get the feeling that Ambrose and Rollins will have parallel but distinct careers that will lead them both to the main event scene in the future. Ambrose is a little unpredictable, that's for sure. If they added the US title to the mix, that would have greatly elevated championship too other than whoever has it now. But I'm happy those 2 will add some nice feuds in the singles arena when they are done with each other. It sucks Ambrose will be gone for a bit, but it might be a good break after a string of great matches.

Reigns, on the other hand, still needs some work. He's progressing slowly, but I think he is best in small amounts right now. Like in tag team action when he gets the hot tag and cleans house. Or even in short one or two Raw/Smackdown segment matches. He needs to progress a bit more in character to help carry long PPV matches other than being an unstoppable cyborg. I mean, I like Ryback now that he seems to feel comfortable with his bully personality in Rybaxel. I hated him during his streak. Still a few months before Royal Rumble for Reigns to earn that match, though.

Remember, they haven't really gotten behind Ambrose yet. I was shocked on Monday that Ambrose and Rollins got the main event slot, but I think that's a very good sign. I was also shocked that Reigns was in a throwaway six man tag and didn't even get the pin. But Ambrose definitely seems to be more over than Reigns. We'll see how long that lasts. A bit of fantasy booking for you: at Night of Champions, the Cena/Lesnar rematch (which they have already announced) is much more even. Brock finally wins after a long, grueling match. And then, here comes Seth Rollins with his briefcase. He's going to cash in on Brock Lesnar! Is he crazy? But Brock will probably never be a vulnerable as he is right now. So the bell rings, match starts... and that's when Ambrose attacks! Rollins wins via a DQ, but he's lost the briefcase! The ultimate revenge! Finally, there's only one way to settle this: Hell in a Cell.

They already had Ambrose interfering with the cash in, at least once (I want to say twice?), so I don't see that happening again. But the MITB thing isn't a guarantee anymore of course, so it could happen. I don't see Cena winning at the next PPV, but I do see him giving Brock a real challenge so he can save face over Summerslam. I think that's necessary for Cena's legacy.

I'm not saying he interferes with the cash in, but waits until the cash in happens and THEN gets involved. Totally different. Honestly, I think they have to do something like that with the briefcase; what's the endgame for Rollins otherwise? They aren't going to take the title off Brock, and anyway it wouldn't make sense for an Authority member to cash in on their chosen champion. But he can only hold onto it for so long. Use it as a stepping stone to create even more heat between him and Ambrose, so that both guys have real stakes in their next match.

I don't know if I would care for the precedent of that. Guy wouldn't even get a legit. chance to cash in at that point. I don't think Brock will hold onto the title for a year. I suspect he'll drop it by Wrestlemania one way or the other, and at that point, Rollins has a shot to cash in.

-- As announced by Triple H on this week's Main Event broadcast, John Cena has activated his rematch clause for a shot at the WWE World Heavyweight Title and he'll face Lesnar at the WWE Night of Champions pay-per-view on Sunday, September 1st, 2014.

Huh

Edited by Politician

The long term tentative plan may be Reigns winning at Wrestlemania and Rollins cashing it in sometime after Reigns wins? I'm not sure if I want to see a Rollins vs Reigns feud so soon after the Ambrose feud is over. But you have to expect it eventually.

I think I would feel a little cheated if Ambrose interferes during a cash in that already started. If it was the good guy cashing it in and the bad guy interfering, then that would work better for me. Heat on the bad guy.

You guys are nuts. Ambrose causing Rollins to blow his shot at the title would get an amazing reaction and take their blood feud to the next level. Which reminds me, I need to watch that Shield doc on the Network.

My gut tells me the general crowd reaction would be more of disappointment and annoyance than excitement, but some probably be happy about it.

But considering that Ambrose's best chance of getting a title shot is if Rollins has the strap, it would make more sense for him to let him win the title, then dump sewage on him or toss him off a building, or do whatever else it is that a "crazy" guy like him would do.

(6 minutes and 40 seconds in)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdds9n_hogan-kills-the-giant-big-show_sport

I think they have booked themselves into a corner a bit with the briefcase, though. First off, if Brock Lesnar loses the title to anyone before WrestleMania, it will be the stupidest thing in the world. It's already kind of dumb that we are expected to watch a rematch of him against the guy he destroyed for fifteen minutes. But Seth Rollins isn't going to beat Brock Lesnar. And, if Rollins tries and fails, then he's the idiot that tried to cash in on the Beast Incarnate. The best scenario for Rollins is that Cena or someone else beats Lesnar, and then Rollins cashes in on that guy. But I don't see that happening. By having him use the case on a weakened Lesnar but not succeed due to no fault of his own, he gets the rub from working with Lesnar without getting destroyed for his efforts. And then his feud with Ambrose gets even hotter. Trust me, if babyface crazyman Dean Ambrose comes out of nowhere to cost smug heel Seth Rollins his chance to beat Brock Lesnar, the crowd will go nuts.

Speaking of these guys, I did watch the Shield documentary last night, and really enjoyed it. If they did this kind of thing on the Network more often, I'd have no complaints. They delve into the backstory of each guy a lot, though Rollins and Ambrose are much more interesting, since Reigns is basically a guy from a wrestling family that used to play football. Rollins comes off a lot like Punk, as a scruffy indie guy with a big chip on his shoulder. And Ambrose is just so unique. I came away liking these guys even more, and I like all three quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

So things have been quiet here and I guess rightfully so. I don't remember many memorable things the past few weeks. I only caught the second half of RAW but the only thing that caught my eye this week was NXT on RAW! I was excited but cringed when I heard they were having an NXT match. Neville/Zayn vs Breeze/Kid. They definitely can bring it but with RAW, you knew they wouldn't get that long of a segment to truly show off. Match was okay and seemed typical, but it really seemed to elevate Neville as many weren't used to his moveset so he got a great reaction. Zayn still gets the Ole chants, of course. I'm hoping this was a test to get the audience accustomed to the new guys. And Breeze is gorgeous! biggrin.png

I don't have cable, and my WWE subscription ran out last week, so I don't have much to talk about. Will probably renew before the next PPV, though. They added Nitros from 95 and 96, so that's a good incentive. Crazy how much great stuff they have on there now. I saw that KENTA will be introduced on NXT this week.

WWE's been really bad recently. Raw two weeks ago was so bad that I didn't even tune if for a minute this week as a protest. They picked the wrong time (football beginning) to hit one of their worst creative lulls in ages. I am going to check out the NXT show tonight though.