The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hollywood Batista should play off his Drax character and come off unintentionally lovable where nothing goes over his head. wink.png I wanted to hate the Drax character since I like hating Batista in the WWE, but I couldn't.

Normally the Funko Pop human figures just aren't my thing, but DB is funny since his beard takes up half his body!

I really liked Batista for the first time at the end of his previous run, where he quit years ago and had the spotlight on him in the entrance. But Batista being a mega star now, tagging with Miz seems like a downgrade to his star power. I'm just not sure how the WWE universe would accept Batista now, though. Boo or cheer him? I'd think most like his performance as Drax, but he is the type who can be easily boo'd.

Didn't he have past altercations with other WWE superstars backstage? Maybe WWE drew the line with this slapping of a non-superstar. Yeah, I'm sad he is just going away without a send off. But I think he will be back. Just not in a few hours like many are joking but rather a year or so. He wasn't in any storyline so at least no one needs to reference him on TV.

The story from Dave Meltzer:

Details are still sketchy regarding Thursday's firing of Al Rodriguez (Alberto Del Rio) by WWE.

The story going around is that he slapped a a Social Media manager,
at this week's television, but there are a variety of different stories
going around regarding what led to this.

Based on sketchy stories and what wrestlers have been talking about,
at catering, somebody asked the person to clean off his plate. The
person joked something along the lines of how that's Del Rio's job. Del
Rio found out and confronted him. As the story goes, he didn't
apologize and then smiled at him, and Del Rio slapped him.

The
belief is he will have a 90 day non-compete, which is likely to apply
to TNA and AAA, both of which have interest in him. AAA would certainly
be interested in him for the company's U.S. expansion

Can't completely blame Del Rio here, if that's the case. Apparently, WWE is looking for any excuse to cut guys, since they are so budget conscious right now. And I remember hearing rumors that he was unhappy and not planning to resign anyway, so they might have just decided to let him go now. Cue the "what's Delbert Al Rio doing in the Impact Zone?!" jokes.

Hey, remember the Claire Lynch angle in TNA? The one that everybody hated, that's maybe second only to Katie Vick in notoriety? Well, WWE RIPPED IT OFF TONIGHT! wallbash.gif

This Raw has reached the point that I'm hoping the Hogan party can save it. Sheamus/Orton match is pretty good though.

The Claire Lynch angle was horrible. That was probably when TNA was at its lowest point. Thank god they have been putting on some great matches the past month or so. I hope they have a TV deal somewhere after their contract with Spike is up. They have been getting better and better recently. Much better matches than on RAW.

I wonder if it's an instance of their finally having an incentive to change what was so woefully wrong for so many years, now that they need to attract a new investor. Would be nice to see someone light a fire under the WWE's behind as well, while we're at it.

That main event was something else. I've never seen a wrestling championship match go down this way that I can remember. They're setting Brock up as the most genuine monster I've seen in the WWE. Not sure where they go from here, though. I guess Roman Reigns is the next logical challenger.

Not yet, I don't think. The one thing that was clear from Reigns' match with Orton, to me at least, is how much better Randy Orton is than Roman Reigns. He does a much, much better job at involving the crowd. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Orton challenge Brock next.

But yeah, that match... wow. Haven't seen anything like that since... I dunno, Yokozuna beating Hulk Hogan?