UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

But isn't this Jack Swagger's first run as a good guy? I don't remember a time he was good other than that one minute he walked out and tried to get sympathy. Plus, he isn't really over. Zeb and the "We The People" chant is over. But I'll get behind him since it is something different and hopefully he comes out of his comfort zone. This might be his last chance. And at least he and Cesaro can have a proper feud instead of that bad guy/bad guy/insert random good guy feud.

So what other tag teams can there be? Only other active team is R-Truth and Xavier Woods. They are filler team that gets squashed all the time by whoever needs a push. One of the Los Matadores is injured, I heard. Probably pair remaining Matador with Sin Cara? I can't think of any other viable makeshift tag teams other than Santino and Adam Rose based upon that hard iced tea ad. Ascension might get called up sooner or later, but they need a gimmick other than being a smashmouth tag team since we have one in Rowan/Harper. I actually am a little bored with them since they seem to have no gimmick anymore. Even NXTs division isn't that strong but is improving. I miss 3MB and PTP... Even Gabriel/Kidd...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well they had a lot of tag teams awhile back for some reason. And if WWE wanted to prioritize that division, they could do it again through any number of match-ups of mid-carders who otherwise aren't going anywhere. But they don't care about any of that, so they won't do it. I'm pretty sure Swagger was a good guy once or twice before. After the Lawler/Cole thing maybe? But I've seen it with some guys before, and Swagger's just the kind of character who could have a brief run as a face, then change back, and no one would care very much.

I don't think he's ever been a face. He was a heel in WWECW, wasn't he? I like Swagger more then most people do, but I don't think there's anything remotely likeable about the guy. And that new shirt is so freaking stupid.

Seems to me that the problem with tag teams is that they just won't let them stay together very long. I think the Usos could really be the backbone of that division, with long runs as champs and chasers. Sure would have been nice if they signed the Wolves or Bad Influence....

With his legit amateur wrestling background, Swagger seems like a guy who would be better than he is in the ring. For whatever reason he just comes off as a bit stiff and flat, though.

I think Swagger is better suited for tag teams. I loved Zig-Swag with Vickie and the Real Americans with Cesaro. Both teams deserved a championship run before being broken up. In both those instances, the other partner showed a little more charisma and there was a mouthpiece so Swagger could just keep up. Heck, I liked the Soaring Eagle more. But on his own, he is a little lacking in personality. He's competent enough in the ring, but nothing too flashy. I like his new shirt, though. It's quirky and has some personality and helps his run as a good guy. Maybe just put him in a new 3MB with Slater? Hornswoggle can be the 3rd guy and mouthpiece. I liked the 3MB theme and hope it isn't thrown away...

Bad Influence was good. Wolves are very good in the ring but I haven't latched on to their personality yet. Too bad Motor City Machine Guns aren't around anymore. They were a team I could always watch.

MCMG were a great team. Alex Shelley is a tag team champ now in New Japan, isn't he? One thing TNA often did right (the only thing?) were their tag teams. Apparently HHH likes tag team wrestling, which is why we saw a stronger division recently, but it seems like we are in a lull.

Oh yeah, Motor City Machine Guns would be great. I also agree that Swagger was good in tag teams, maybe taking a more athletic kind of Jim Neidhart role. Used to be established tag teams were often jumping off points for individual stars (Hitman, HBK, Davey Boy Smith, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Saturn, Edge, Jeff Hardy, JBL), but I don't see too much of that nowadays. And so long as that's the case, the guys with the most potential may not get stuck in those situations.

That was sad to hear when I saw the report. Without knowing what happened in the case of her arrest, it might have been just an unfortunate misunderstanding. But Superstars and Divas are held to a high standard that if you aren't a top tier talent, any negative press could be their undoing. Especially during a time of cutbacks. I have hopes that she will be back since she offered a different type of charisma in the Divas division. Hopefully she runs with this and teams with Crime Time in other promotions. Turn a negative into a positive, right?

So they fired her and then probably rehired her at a lower contract to punish her and save money. I hope this incident gives her a decent push now that people are talking about her. But they'll probably just have Santino just do a mention that Emma stole his heart. Come on kleptomaniac gimmick! I'm slowly getting more interested in the Divas division now since Paige got called up, Funkadactyls are breaking up, Alicia Fox is finally interesting, Brie's conflict with Stephanie, and AJ is back!

Crazy. Bryan Alverez was saying that he heard from someone who works in Loss Prevention at Wal-Mart, and that when a person is buying a bunch of things at Self-Checkout, and they miss one, it's usually legit. I mean, she "stole" a $20 Ipod case. But, he said, they have a quota to fill, and it was the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of front page headlines about him on WWE.com, as well. He's going to be in the new videogame apparently. I read the results from Raw. Based on that, it seems like a run-of-the-mill snooze-fest for the most part.

I thought this week was a slight step up from last week, which was boring. Only thing that really stood out to me was the Zeb Coulter segment. Usually the US hero vs international monster is boring, but Zeb really got me into it and I am really looking forward to seeing how this plays out. The little Reigns/Cena interactions were great tension building moments that are subtly helping Reigns a lot. And of course seeing Sting on TV was awesome.

Oh, and has anyone eaten at Sonic yet? I always wanted to try it but there are none near me. WWE's product placement segment last night with Rose and Sandow as the bellhop made me crave Sonic!

The heat for the Rusev/Swagger segment was amazing. By far the most notable thing on the show. They did a spot during the brawl where Rusev went to give him a Superkick, and Swagger caught him and turned it into the ankle lock and the place went nuts. I never thought I'd see the day where Jack Swagger is the most over guy on a WWE show, but here we are.

The Sting video was really cool. Too bad it was just a video game teaser. They played it for the live crowd, and you could hear them react. Sting got a big pop, but then when they saw that it was for the game, and not for him debuting, big boos. I thought it would have been cool to have him debut during the Flair segment, which was pointless otherwise.

The Swagger/Rusev Lana/Zeb feud was my favorite part of the show for sure.

I loved that Lana slapped Zeb, and then pulled Jack Swagger's hair, that was like an old school manager move (shades of the Sensational Sherri)

The Dolph, Lana, Summer Rae vs Fandango match was ok I guess, I think it would be rad if RaeLay debut as an actual team soon.

Emma won a match on main event and no one made a shoplifting joke.

So its PPV time so lets see how my predictions go.

• Naomi vs. Cameron (Pre-show) (Naomi...I had to pick one but honestly not bothered.)
  • The Usos vs. The Wyatt Family (2-out-of-3 Falls match for Tag Team Championship) (Hopefully The Wyatts. I like The Uso's but I would like to see how WWE handle the Wyatt family with gold.)
  • Battleground Battle Royal (Intercontinental Championship) (Cesaro plz just so heyman can mouth off more.)
  • Paige vs. AJ Lee (Divas Championship) (AJ. If WWE made this a bikini match wrestling in banana pudding I woud record the hell out of it.)
  • Rusev vs. Jack Swagger (Swagger by DQ to keep the feud going. I can see WWE dropping the whole Putin side of Rusev's entrance and build up with what has happened in the last few days but I hope they dont drop the whole thing as he and Swagger are fun at the moment.)
  • Chris Jericho vs. Bray Wyatt (Y2J again by some sort of DQ/countout. I know 2 non finishes in one go but this needs building on so Bray can get a big payoff when Y2J goes away in a few months.)
  • Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins (Rollins with help from the authority.)
  • John Cena vs. Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton vs. Kane (WWE World Heavyweight Championship) (Ugh!. I just cant see a good finish to this. For me its to early for Reigns to get a big title. Kane is a non threat nowdays so that leaves Orton and Cena that can carry the title and honestly as a lesser of two personal evils I prefer Cena to build to getting him pulped by Lesner.)

So no surprise with Cena winning, but I am surprised they let the Miz have the IC title again, and that they let Jericho beat Bray. Bray hasn't won many PPV matches recently. But despite losing, I came away feeling that Harper and Rowan were very strong. What a great match they had! I think Rowan could be a serious heel championship contender if WWE wasn't so wrapped up in mic skills and sculpted muscles. He has a great All-Japan type vibe about him, and is a throwback to guys like Brody and Hansen. Favorite part of the night (and admittedly, I missed a huge chunk of the PPV toward the end) was his getting superkicked by the Uso, then no-selling and immediately hitting the Uso with a spinning lariat. I thought it was over there, and would have loved it if it had ended that way.

Edited by karamazov80

I missed the opening match to Battleground, which sounds like it was the best one. The rest of the show was pretty forgettable. I thought the Ambrose/Rollins angle was cool, but I really was looking forward to that match. I guess it will now be REALLY great when they hook up.

Raw last night had two really great segments. First, Brock is back. And we all knew he'd be back, and he'd be Hunter's choice to face Cena, but I admit that a part of me was hoping Heyman would introduce Plan C and... Look in My Eyes, What Do You See... sigh.

And there was Stephanie getting arrested. Oh, that was excellent. And then Hunter, starting to leave, and then stopping to finish up the show... awesome heel work. I think SummerSlam is looking pretty good. Probably not good enough to get me to keep the network, but pretty good. Sure miss Bryan and Punk, though.

You know what I meant! mad.gif

So there's been a lot of talk amongst the IWC this week about Roman Reigns. Seems the inevitable backlash has already begun. Personally, I think they've totally blown his booking since the Shield split. It was really dumb to not have him in a program with Rollins; the breakup was a big deal, as evidenced by how over Dean Ambrose is right now. And, maybe even worse, they've just inserted him into the main event picture without having him really earn it. One week he's poisoning Stephanie McMahon (something so bad Vicki was fired over it) and the next Hunter's just putting him in the fatal fourway. It's like they want him to be the new it guy SO BADLY they are just forcing it rather then building it. If they aren't careful, he's going to flop.