UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

I don't know if you've ever seen him wrestle Nigel McGuinness in ROH, but it was like two William Regals in their prime going against each other. The fluid, chain wrestling stuff as good as I've seen it, just stuck in the middle of some random cards circa 2006.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn't find any matches between the two on youtube last night, but I eventually stumbled upon a couple of ridiculous videos from Chikara. One guy was throwing an imaginary grenade at some masked ant wrestlers and when it explodes, everyone in the ring reacts as if it was real. You have to love the indy's for being different!

I never saw this one (will watch it now), but here's those guys plus Daniel Bryan and Seth Rollins in a "4 way dance". For the World Championship!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq567d_nigel-mcguinness-vs-bryan-danielson-vs-claudio-castagnoli-vs-tyler-black_sport#.UaAZ7cpZqSo

Edited by karamazov80

I got suckered into downloading the WWE app and finally used it on RAW this week. I kind of understand why it exists. But don't know why they want to ignore their advertisers by making people watch during commercial breaks. Also, when there's a video happening during a match, I don't know where to put my focus and I end up dividing my attention and not really watching both. Either way, they put their WWE app videos online anyway so there isn't a need to watch them live (or even at all). The polls and other pop up stuff are kind of fun, though.

Onto the show. The first highlight of the night was just seeing Jericho and Paul Heyman in the ring together in the Highlight Reel. Those two together can't be bad. But Jericho challenging Punk to return at the Payback PPV? I know it is in Chicago, but Heyman accepted on Punk's behalf. Heyman is a liar. It has to be Jericho vs. Axel, which makes sense since Jericho likes putting over new talent. And speaking of new talent, the second highlight was seeing the video package of Bray Wyatt. His swamp preacher/Waylon Mercy gimmick is pretty interesting in NXT so I am extremely happy to see him debuting soon. Plus, his entrance music really sets the tone well. I know the video package referenced lambs, but those masks looked like goats to me...

Here's the promo:

And the Heyman/Jericho segment just cause I was looking for the above video:

Damn. Imagine if he has as much success as Waylon Mercy did! biggrin.png

I actually remember Mercy very well, and thought he was a really creepy and unpredictable character for, what, the 2 weeks he was around? Not to mention he was a huge guy

skyscrapers.jpg

That Wyatt family video is really creepy. I hear that the Family is a pretty great gimmick, so I'm glad to see they're bringing the whole thing to the big stage.

I'm skipping through Raw on Hulu right now... thank God for the Shield. They have been keeping things interesting in these Punk-less times. But he's almost back... sqeee!

Yeah, Bryan was amazing. He's really stepped up his game, if it's even possible. I also like that Bret Hart put him over big time in their shared promo. I've got a hunch that he's in line for a big singles push once this tag team stuff is done. He might just be the most over babyface in the company right now.

BTW, the Bret Hart Appreciation Night stuff is on WWE.com now; doesn't appear that I can share the video here, but here's the link:

http://www.wwe.com/videos/bret-hart-appreciation-night-wwe-app-exclusive-may-27-2013-26118092

It's worth a watch. I liked that Lance Storm came out with the locker room at the end.

The Shield has been amazingly consistent. I keep thinking their matches are going to be dull since they seem to keep fighting the same people over and over in different combinations. But I have no complaints yet. And I agree, Bryan was the breakout star of the match. There's just a feeling he's building up to something. Not necessarily a breakup with Kane but perhaps just a tweak in character?

The appreciation night was just a fun little thing and I hope they continue to show them online so everyone has the chance to see. It took me a while to figure out that was Lance Storm, though. I was hoping he might come out and say a few words in front of the hometown crowd.

Bryan's comedy character has been good for business, and it seems that drives McMahon's decisions more than anything. But when he was a heel champ I thought he was a much more interesting character. That, or even a more conventional character would be preferable to the comedy act he's been stuck in for a year or so now. It was really funny for awhile, but it's time he moved on IMO. He was great at being a conventional heel in Ring of Honor. And really did more in the ring to sell that character than outside it.

Edited by karamazov80

I could see him working a singles program with either Ambrose or Ziggler. I think this new intense side we're seeing from him is a logical evolution of his character, and will (hopefully) get him back to the American Dragon. Hopefully, now that he's getting a chance to really show what he can do, and working with guys that can keep up with him, the WWE will run with it.

I would like to see him feud with Ambrose, Ziggler, Rollins, Cesaro, Rhodes, Jericho, Punk, and of course, the Great Khali at some point or another. I'm reasonably sure that I saw him wrestle as a masked "American Dragon" circa 2000 down in the sticks of Mississippi. Headliners of that card were members of Shane McMahon's Mean Street Posse laugh.png

Edited by karamazov80

I would like to see him feud with ... the Great Khali at some point or another.

So Khali your guilty pleasure, huh? tongue.png

I have been wanting to see Bryan against Santino while both are still comedy acts. But Santino hasn't been used much lately (injury?) and he isn't remotely in Bryan's league. Can't remember if they faced off in the ring this past year but I'm sure they could pull off a throwaway comedic match sometime.

Bryan vs. Ziggler seems like it'd be good business. Ziggler has been booked as a weak champ but Bryan is a worthy, but defeatable opponent to help cement his reign. I know we all see upside in Bryan, but that begs the question, what happens to Kane? He's still in great shape and I don't see him slowing down. But I can't figure out where he'd go next or what's the next evolution.

Kane was talking about retiring not that long ago. He's restarted his Libertarian econ blog, and there was even talk that he might run for Congress (which he denied). Anyway, Kane can basically go anywhere. He's Kane. For a guy that's basically a gimmick based on another gimmick, he's been a remarkably flexable character. Put him in the ring with some of the other young up-and-comers. Maybe a feud with Rybeck?

Yeah, they can push Kane as a serious monster heel again, and it could work. Or, he could stay on as a likable face, and that would work, too. I think he would be fine on his own as he's been for most of his career. I didn't know he had a libertarian blog. JBL also was really into the right wing economic stuff for awhile. I guess being a pro rassler means you know enough about politics/the economy for masses of people to care about your opinion on those issues laugh.png

I don't really worry that Kane will fall out of favor with the company. At worst, he'll probably just help out the younger guys with a feud over the Intercontinental title. It's just that Kane has survived for so many years that I am curious what the next iteration will be. Kind of like Y2J, I guess. I don't mind Kane being a monster heel again, but I still currently enjoy Big Show and Mark Henry filling that role. Though there doesn't seem to be anyone new for them to work with right now to make things interesting while keeping them credible forces of destruction. I was hoping the Orton/Big Show and Sheamus/Mark Henry feuds would turn into a tag team feud since I find the Big Show/Mark Henry superheavyweight team interesting.

So WWE and Flinstones doing a direct to dvd movie? John Cenastone, CM Punkrock, Vince McMagma. My inner kid is finding those names entertaining, even though they are kind of stupid.

http://news.yahoo.com/wwe-flintstones-tag-team-throw-down-bedrock-003940541.html

Edited by storm 1:08

Ring of Honor had some amazing female wrestling matches. Hell, WWF used to have some pretty awesome female wrestling matches itself. But in order to have good female wrestling you have to prioritize in-ring ability over physical looks. And that has not been a WWE strategy for a good, long while.

It's a shame, too. WWE has just trained the audience not to care at all when two women are in the ring. You've gotta feel bad for the performers, especially the ones like Nattie that really know what they are doing, but will never get the chance to show it on the big stage.

That said, TNA doesn't seem to do the women any favors with what they pay them, by all accounts. One of the women (I can't remember her name, but she was the blonde that upset Kong for the Knockouts title many years ago) was working at a Sunglass Hut while she was champion because the pay was so poor. And Gail Kim, when she left TNA the first time to return to the WWE, was making more as a rarely-used bikini backround model then she was a the core of the Knockouts roster. And, of course, there's what they did to poor Daffney....

I haven't saw the PPV yet but will eventually. Glad to hear there was at least one good thing to come out of it. I will admit that TNA has had a better women's division for a while and that they actually give them a chance to showcase their abilities. WWE's has been weak since the Attitude Era when Trish and Lita were there. It sucks that WWE can't take that chance on giving their women's division more TV time to develop anymore. And proper commentary too as Cole, Lawler, and JBL constantly talk down all of their matches.

That Kong upset blonde, I think you mean Taylor Wilde. She was pretty impressive and I am surprised she hasn't came back to rebuild that division. The Knockouts and X-Division were pretty weak for a while but they are slowly getting better. I still remember that time when Gail Kim gave the WWE a middle finger in her last match by eliminating herself from a battle royal a few years ago. With the exodus of female WWE talent last year, seems like nothing changed much. I still have hope that they won't mess up Paige down in NXT when she gets called up. I can see the division built around her.

And what happened to Daffney? I forgot. I do remember something bad, though. Let go while injured?

Edited by storm 1:08

Daffney was wrestling a green prospect and took a powerbomb that badly damaged her back. TNA refused to cover her medical bills, so she had to take them to court. Pretty reprehensible, really.

Yeah, Taylor Wilde is whom I was thinking of. I wonder whatever happened to her.